News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dump text but no insert text ? HELP!  (Read 3605 times)

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
Dump text but no insert text ? HELP!
« on: October 22, 2016, 04:42:14 pm »
I just dump this English text and edit it before inserting it again. Windhex32 do not have an Insert Text at all. Only Insert Binary Data. What tool ?

henke37

• View Profile
Re: Dump text but no insert text ? HELP!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 08:30:04 am »
Personally I'd make my own tool. But before you can even consider that, you need to understand how the text is accessed. Because to me it sounds like you used an automatic generic text dumper, not dissimilar to "strings", that doesn't know or care about that.

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 11:07:49 am »
Personally I'd make my own tool. But before you can even consider that, you need to understand how the text is accessed. Because to me it sounds like you used an automatic generic text dumper, not dissimilar to "strings", that doesn't know or care about that.

Oh! There is no way I can do that with tools being used ? :(

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 02:19:07 pm »
You have to answer Henke's question: how did you dump the text?

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 02:27:32 pm »
You have to answer Henke's question: how did you dump the text?

ROCKMAN 7 (ENGLISH TRANSLATION) (TEST)

Windhex>Edit>Dump text>Text name>Start Offset>Ending Offset. That's it.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 04:40:22 pm »
OK. If you're going the manual way (which I guess several of us are going to advise against, but let's answer first) you can basically type in the text on the right part of the editor, provided you have loaded the right table.
Alternatively, if the game uses a well-known table, you could open a new text file in your favorite editor (notepad++ comes to mind), set the editor to use that well-known encoding (say: SJIS, UTF8 or ASCII)n input the text in the file, save, then use binary insert of Windhex from that text file.
Jut don't forget that there's nothing preventing you from overflowing the old text's location, overwriting the next text in the process, when you do things this way. Also, you're probably limited to the lengths of the old texts (either individually or as a sum).
This is why people generally recommend to dump from the text pointers (not the text), and go the same route for insertion. But either that is a simple set of pointers and you can yse Atlas + Cartographer, or you need custom tools.

azoreseuropa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:13:33 pm »
OK. If you're going the manual way (which I guess several of us are going to advise against, but let's answer first) you can basically type in the text on the right part of the editor, provided you have loaded the right table.
Alternatively, if the game uses a well-known table, you could open a new text file in your favorite editor (notepad++ comes to mind), set the editor to use that well-known encoding (say: SJIS, UTF8 or ASCII)n input the text in the file, save, then use binary insert of Windhex from that text file.
Jut don't forget that there's nothing preventing you from overflowing the old text's location, overwriting the next text in the process, when you do things this way. Also, you're probably limited to the lengths of the old texts (either individually or as a sum).
This is why people generally recommend to dump from the text pointers (not the text), and go the same route for insertion. But either that is a simple set of pointers and you can yse Atlas + Cartographer, or you need custom tools.

Huh... I am lost a little bit. I guess just forget it, huh ? OK, thanks for your patience and understanding.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 02:34:25 pm »
Because it's much easier to dump text than to insert.

Inserting text would require you to know HOW the game finds it (often a pointer table). Games can do things like make multiple points point to the same string, or they can make pointers point to the middle of strings, etc.
Stuff a generic inserter can't just blindly assume will work.

If the program were to blindly insert text, it's a pretty safe bet the result would be broken in-game.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

lgnmcrules

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 09:57:08 pm »
Going off of the responses garnered, how does one create a pointer table for a game that is widely unnoticed and uses a peculiar form of text storage?

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:13:14 am »
One does not create a table. The game already has the table. You just edit the existing one.

lgnmcrules

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 10:05:15 am »
How do you locate the table, edit a table, and insert it back into the game?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 07:59:16 pm »
Through some degree of trial and error.

I think there's something somewhere in here:

EDIT: Seems the ol' FAQ tag isn't working at the moment.  I wonder why. 

Anyway, see the "Tables and Text Editing" section of http://www.romhacking.net/start/ .

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:04:48 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!