News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Nintendo Switch  (Read 13720 times)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
Re: Nintendo Switch
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2017, 01:20:16 am »
I'm hoping to find one by Christmas time, but considering Nintendo's long tradition of underproducing along with my unwillingness to pay scalpers 3 times what the thing is worth, I'm not sure if that'll happen.  :laugh:
I had a hell of a time finding a DS when I decided to get one 2 years after they launched.

You should be able to. Nintendo is taking seriously the overwhelmingly positive public response to the NSX. They even stated that there will be enough units to fill the preorders and have enough to sell to the general public as well.

Bobolicious81

• Keeper of the Taco Sandwich
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2017, 10:59:23 am »
That would be great. I was planning on waiting until after my vacation in June to even look for one, but I'm pretty sure that if I happen to see one in a store before then I'll pick it up...don't tell anyone, but I lack impulse control...

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2017, 12:20:00 pm »
I had pre-ordered on Amazon a few days ago once they had re-opened pre-orders and they claimed they'd ship in 3 weeks. I asked today at my local game shop and they said they could still get one more for me this week with the official launch. So I cancelled Amazon now and I'm hoping for the best. Even if I went with Amazon, that's only 2 weeks after release for a second wave of shipments, that's not bad at all. I don't see a repeat of the NES Mini launch here.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Bobolicious81

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2017, 11:39:02 pm »
Well what do you know, I didn't preorder a Switch but decided to show up at Best Buy and I got a golden ticket for one of these bad boys. So once the store opens, I'll have my first ever release day console.

March 03, 2017, 09:49:27 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I heard on the radio there's apparently been a buzz around the internet about how awful Nintendo Switch game cartridges taste...
Nintendo acknowledged that it added a bitter chemical to discourage small children from trying to swallow them.
But the reporter added, "This still doesn't explain why adults are tasting their video games" 😂
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:49:27 am by Bobolicious81 »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2017, 10:42:46 am »
I'm still not sure if I'm going to get the Switch or not, I wasn't a big fan of the Wii and Wii U consoles and I also think the GameCube was their last great console they ever made in my opinion.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2017, 02:35:31 pm »
They went back to cartridges?

That's either gonna be awesome, or 3rd party developers are gonna start bitching about working with them like they did in the N64 days.

I'm gonna bank on the first, because I don't wanna see this new console scrapped as quickly as it felt that they did with the Wii U.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to get the Switch or not, I wasn't a big fan of the Wii and Wii U consoles and I also think the GameCube was their last great console they ever made in my opinion.

Wii's a GREAT console if you want a cheaply priced emulation powerhouse, have a classic controller, and a battery pack for the stupid remote. I mean, it can't play EVERYTHING, but you can easily cram a collection of 5000+ roms across the older consoles on it and it'll play damn near everything perfectly. For ACTUAL wii games... uh, I've come across 12 pretty badass games, mostly all made by Nintendo lol. Granted, I've never really shopped around for Wii games much so there's bound to be some gems out there for it.

As for Wii U.... idk, never had one. I wouldn't mind trying out the Mario games on it, and perhaps the HD Zelda remakes, but other than that I have no idea what's on that console or if they're even making games for it now that this Switch thing is out.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Bobolicious81

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2017, 02:50:41 pm »
I guess I should have said game "card" rather than "cartridge," as the latter implies something bigger and bulkier. Oh well...six of one, baker's dozen of the other...

They're slightly smaller than the 3DS game cards. But considering you can get 128GB SD cards nowadays, I'm sure they'll have more than enough storage so I wouldn't expect an N64 situation here.

I loved my Wii. Super Mario Galaxy was badass, and Wario Ware was a blast. My kids still enjoy Mario Kart Wii, and I even got my wife to play Wii Sports with me. I skipped over the WiiU though, I just didn't get a good feeling about it. The Switch looks promising to me, but I'm waiting 2 weeks to open it because we're saving it for my daughter's birthday.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2017, 03:05:07 am »

Get it! Zelda-BOTW is worth the price of admission alone! Agree with you about the GC being a great system, but the Wii was damn good too. Skipping the easy to name greats, one of my favs was the Goldeneye remake which a ton of fun! Despite the WiiU's lack of popularity, it has a ton of great games too!

They're slightly smaller than the 3DS game cards. But considering you can get 128GB SD cards nowadays, I'm sure they'll have more than enough storage so I wouldn't expect an N64 situation here.

...I skipped over the WiiU though, I just didn't get a good feeling about it...

Actually their a bit bigger, not by much though. And I've got a 256GB MicroSD for mine, plus there's a rumor that the NSX will have have the USB storage option in the near future. I really don't plan to play it as a portable much, I've got a N3DS and GPD Q9 for that. You've been missing out on the WiiU though. On top of all the really good titles it's already got, Zelda-BOTW has been released for it as well and it looks/plays within a stones throw of the NSX version.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 07:02:14 am by lexluthermiester »

Bobolicious81

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2017, 07:52:17 pm »
What does NSX stand for? Nintendo Switch Xtreme? Maybe not Xtreme...the 90's are over... For that matter, why do some people call the PlayStation PSX instead of PS or PS1...And what about GCN? Game Cube (from) Nintendo? Game Cube Nonpareil?

Nothing personal, I just need answers.  :thumbsup:

FreightMan71

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2017, 09:01:03 pm »
What does NSX stand for? Nintendo Switch Xtreme? Maybe not Xtreme...the 90's are over... For that matter, why do some people call the PlayStation PSX instead of PS or PS1...And what about GCN? Game Cube (from) Nintendo? Game Cube Nonpareil?

Nothing personal, I just need answers.  :thumbsup:

I used to follow this sort of 'naming convention' when it came to systems, and I could be wrong because I haven't followed this sort of thing much in recent years, but here is my understanding of what you asked about:

1--PSX.  Put simply, I believe PSX was the code name used for the original playstation while it was still in development.
Obviously, it was just called "Playstation" upon release, but for the sake of abbreviations, most gaming magazines at the time, followed by gaming fans, simply left the 'PSX' name in place.
For some reason, and I think this all DID start with the popular gaming mags (EGM, GamePro, GameFan, etc), there seemed to be some unwritten rule that ALL game systems needed to be abbreviated using a three letter/number system.

PSX, N64, SAT (or sometimes SSA), XBX...you see where this is going... which leads to...

2--GCN. I think you answered your own question (again, I could be fuzzy on this nowadays), but GCN simply stood for Game Cube Nintendo. I have also seen the Gamecube abbreviated as NGC.

3--As for the Switch, I believe the development name, or codename for it (like the Playstation) was simply NX. Upon release, we now have the Nintendo Switch, and because, it seems we NEED to have a third letter/number, leave the X in there...thus NSX.  :D

I hope that satiates your need for answers.
And hey, even if I am not 100% right, I thought it was a rather damned good explanation, no?  ;D

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2017, 09:10:47 pm »
I used to follow this sort of 'naming convention' when it came to systems, and I could be wrong because I haven't followed this sort of thing much in recent years, but here is my understanding of what you asked about:

1--PSX.  Put simply, I believe PSX was the code name used for the original playstation while it was still in development.
Obviously, it was just called "Playstation" upon release, but for the sake of abbreviations, most gaming magazines at the time, followed by gaming fans, simply left the 'PSX' name in place.
For some reason, and I think this all DID start with the popular gaming mags (EGM, GamePro, GameFan, etc), there seemed to be some unwritten rule that ALL game systems needed to be abbreviated using a three letter/number system.

PSX, N64, SAT (or sometimes SSA), XBX...you see where this is going... which leads to...

2--GCN. I think you answered your own question (again, I could be fuzzy on this nowadays), but GCN simply stood for Game Cube Nintendo. I have also seen the Gamecube abbreviated as NGC.

3--As for the Switch, I believe the development name, or codename for it (like the Playstation) was simply NX. Upon release, we now have the Nintendo Switch, and because, it seems we NEED to have a third letter/number, leave the X in there...thus NSX.  :D

I hope that satiates your need for answers.
And hey, even if I am not 100% right, I thought it was a rather damned good explanation, no?  ;D

The code name was NX and is seen on the chipset in a teardown. It was changed to Switch. And for a time it was known as Nintendo System Ten, thus NSX.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2017, 03:45:30 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_wI0WwgnRU
The Know - Nintendo fighting for Switch components with Apple and other companies.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2017, 10:05:01 pm »
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 11:03:51 pm »
And Ps4/WiiU too, nice, if I can get a job I might go buy a copy.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw