News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Other: Another BS Zelda Game Gets an English Dub Restoration  (Read 4732 times)

RHDNBot

Other: Another BS Zelda Game Gets an English Dub Restoration
« on: October 14, 2016, 06:36:11 pm »

Update By: SmashManiac

A few months after the English dub of the original BS Zelda no Densetsu, another obscure The Legend of Zelda game has been restored with a full English dub!

BS Zelda no Densetsu: Inishie no Sekiban, informally known as BS The Legend of Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets, was an episodic SNES game exclusively released in Japan through the Satellaview peripheral. The game was a score attack version of A Link to the Past featuring CD-quality music and voices, but needed to be played during a satellite broadcast to achieve that, causing the game to be unplayable otherwise. While the core game code was salvaged from re-writable 8M Memory Paks, the introduction cutscene, indoors data and audio track was lost, with the exception of surviving VCR footage playthroughs from original players. However, during the past 10 years, the BS Zelda HomePage community was able to restore the game to its original glory bit by bit, and the English dub was the final step of this restoration.

The 4-hour English dub is available in both the original music arrangement and a custom orchestral arrangement, features a full voice cast including professional voice actress Kira Buckland (Danganronpa, Disgaia, Skullgirls) as Zelda, and is even playable on real hardware with a sd2snes.

While the audio files are too big to be hosted on RHDN, they are available on the BS Zelda HomePage.

Relevant Link

SmashManiac

• View Profile
Re: Other: Another BS Zelda Game Gets an English Dub Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 10:06:28 pm »
...and featuring yours truly as the soldier that constantly shouts "Master Aginah!" :D

I also invested a lot of time in quality assurance on this project, so I hope you enjoy the final product without hiccups!

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:49 pm »
Thank you!

Grimlock

• Graphics Artist, Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 01:02:08 am »
This is very impressive!  Can't wait to try it on real hardware!   :beer:
Rogue Dawn official release date set: Saturday 1/14/2017

pelham123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 05:12:56 am »
Congratulations guys!

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 01:12:52 pm »
When I manage to find the files on that site, I'll be sure to play this.

Edit: Used a download manager to download all the links on all the pages, and the largest files I found were video files if the Intro and MP3s if the songs. I don't think MSU uses MP3.

Anybody know the audio specs of MSU or the size of the file used to patch the ROM or the filesize of the prepatched ROM so I can narrow down which of these files are the one I want to use?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 05:13:41 pm by xnamkcor »

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 06:07:49 pm »
Edit: Used a download manager to download all the links on all the pages, and the largest files I found were video files if the Intro and MP3s if the songs. I don't think MSU uses MP3.

Anybody know the audio specs of MSU or the size of the file used to patch the ROM or the filesize of the prepatched ROM so I can narrow down which of these files are the one I want to use?

That's some dedication! Unfortunately for you, the links to the MSU-1 files are not directly linked on the website right now, but rather in the readme of the MSU-1 patch ZIP for each respective game, hence why your download manager missed them.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:34 pm »
That's some dedication! Unfortunately for you, the links to the MSU-1 files are not directly linked on the website right now, but rather in the readme of the MSU-1 patch ZIP for each respective game, hence why your download manager missed them.

I got two albums worth of some cool songs to listen to. Also, Two halves of a Triforce? Who wrote this?

Edit: The Zelda tracks sound heavily based on or exactly the Sound & Drama CD. Good tracks.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 09:50:05 pm by xnamkcor »

Joseph Lithius

• Lv. 33 K-176 Unit
    • View Profile
    • JosephLithius @ Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 10:11:05 pm »
Man... I remember when Ms. Buckland was a fledgling on Newgrounds.  I also remember the days when Egoraptor was a no-name Mega Man fan who had ambitions in becoming a professional voice actor.  My, how the years have changed them both... ah but that's neither here-nor-there.

This is pretty freaking awesome.  If I had the hardware to play it, I'd definitely give it a whirl.  Chances are I can watch someone else play it on YouTube though, so that'll work.  For now...

Cheers, dub team!  Thank you for your dedication!
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephlithius.tumblr.com )=-

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 10:24:35 pm »
Two halves of a Triforce? Who wrote this?
Akihabara Electric Circus. The song was originally released on the album Toy Music: Dancing Super Mario Brothers.

I love how Nintendo decided to end every episode of the original BS Zelda with this cheesy song.

The Zelda tracks sound heavily based on or exactly the Sound & Drama CD. Good tracks.
The entire Ancient Stone Tablets soundtrack is indeed ripped from the Sound & Drama album. An analysis of the VHS dumps revealed that even the A Link to the Past tracks were ripped from this album instead of the original game.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2016, 10:39:06 pm »
Akihabara Electric Circus. The song was originally released on the album Toy Music: Dancing Super Mario Brothers.

I love how Nintendo decided to end every episode of the original BS Zelda with this cheesy song.
The entire Ancient Stone Tablets soundtrack is indeed ripped from the Sound & Drama album. An analysis of the VHS dumps revealed that even the A Link to the Past tracks were ripped from this album instead of the original game.

So, by taking WAV/PCM/CDDA files frm the album, you have the most accurate source for the MSU files. That's cool.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 10:41:51 pm »
Hey guys, one question for those involved:
I saw in some WIP and test videod about the MSU and Voice dubs that you guys enter some sort of pseudo Mario RPG area, which loads some sort of EB like battle screen.
I was wondering what emu and settings you guys used to get there?

I'm talking about this one around 3:03:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yss8vUX3J74

My goal is to dump all of the special backgrounds used in those sections from the BS-X ROM to make them compatible with actual EB hacks.
You guys have any idea how can I get there and if the emu you guys use has some sort of debugger/VRAM/BG viewer?

I already got four:
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Community/PKHack/Mother-Remake/page/97#post2190158
But I'm still missing the Mario RPG-like section ones. :/
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 11:06:10 am by ShadowOne333 »

kpe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 07:52:30 am »
Trying to get AST MSU-1 to work with the BSnes Mercury Balanced core within Retroarch. To do this you need to point Retroarch at the manifest.bml file that comes with the patch files. Hit to miss ratio on this seems to be about 50/50 though. Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Metroid, MegaMan X, X2 and X3 all work. Donkey Kong Country 2, Zelda and TMNT did not work however. Notice says rom name=program.rom 1 games 1mb other 4mb i think if change it to bszelda_ast1.smc it would work Or change ROM name from bszelda_ast1.smc to program.rom Also notice says pcmunverifiedboard think it should say pcm unverifiedboard why didt they put space there?  mybe someone can help me on this to edit  manifest.bml  file  https://scontent.fdtw1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14691229_327708854257778_4049917813590054170_o.jpg

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 06:45:42 pm »
I saw in some WIP and test videod about the MSU and Voice dubs that you guys enter some sort of pseudo Mario RPG area, which loads some sort of EB like battle screen.
I was wondering what emu and settings you guys used to get there?
None. We injected a FMV of the VHS footage back into the game for this part. I have no idea if some of these assets were from the Satellaview itself during this part or not.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 08:58:22 pm »
None. We injected a FMV of the VHS footage back into the game for this part. I have no idea if some of these assets were from the Satellaview itself during this part or not.

How possible would it be for a BS-X game to stream video inside a game? The audio streaming was just analog audio straight from the modem, mux into the stereo analog audio going to the TV, right? With video inside the game, you would need to use the modem to turn the video into a digital video and insert it into the RAM or at least some kind of buffer to stream it. Right?

SmashManiac

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »
How possible would it be for a BS-X game to stream video inside a game? The audio streaming was just analog audio straight from the modem, mux into the stereo analog audio going to the TV, right? With video inside the game, you would need to use the modem to turn the video into a digital video and insert it into the RAM or at least some kind of buffer to stream it. Right?
I'm fairly sure the Satellaview did not support video steaming. However, it did allow executable code and data to be stored in a temporary location, so what it could do was to receive a small program to play a cutscene while the player was waiting to play the full game.

For technical reasons, we decided to use the MSU-1 expansion chip invented by byuu to stream the cutscenes instead of reprograming them from scratch.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 09:40:00 pm »
I'm fairly sure the Satellaview did not support video steaming. However, it did allow executable code and data to be stored in a temporary location, so what it could do was to receive a small program to play a cutscene while the player was waiting to play the full game.

For technical reasons, we decided to use the MSU-1 expansion chip invented by byuu to stream the cutscenes instead of reprograming them from scratch.

Now we just gotta invent an SNES cart with a quad core CPU, 4GB of RAM, and a 2GB GPU, and as long as it interfaces with the SNES, it's still kosher.

kpe

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2016, 06:14:11 pm »
Thats whats Sd2snes is for

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 04:16:31 pm »
Oh wow, I always assumed the BS Zeldas were all based on the Zelda 1 remake's engine.

Great work on this, btw! Sounds like something worth the wait.  :D

Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!