News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Translating Endless Frontier EXCEED, Baldr Heart, and Nadesico  (Read 3079 times)

VFkun

• View Profile
Hello,

This thread is a bit of a repost from different forums, and for that I apologize.

I'm making this thread for a translator who is interested in translating the following games

>SRW Endless Frontier EXCEED [DS JRPG sequel to Endless Frontier]
>Baldr Heart [PC Arcade mecha combat game and erogame]
>Nadesico: The Blank of Three Years [Sega Saturn route based visual novel]

He can handle the translation process, but he doesn't have any experience with hacking and modifying games to insert the new text.

We're looking for anyone who can handle hacking any one of the three games listed above. If you'd like to help out you can

post in this thread
PM me
e-mail me at srweternity@gmail.com

Thank you for your assistance.

Cargodin

• View Profile
    • Doushiuh☆oh翻訳
Re: Translating Endless Frontier EXCEED, Baldr Heart, and Nadesico
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:52 pm »
>SRW Endless Frontier EXCEED [DS JRPG sequel to Endless Frontier]
>Baldr Heart [PC Arcade mecha combat game and erogame]
>Nadesico: The Blank of Three Years [Sega Saturn route based visual novel]

Very cool list! Although, I thought Mangagamer was already working on stuff from the Baldr series, so I feel like it's jumping the gun a little until they get a chance to throw the title out there too. In the meantime, if I remember correctly, there is a partal patch for EXCEED that could be worth looking into. I've heard Nadesico on the Saturn was good though, so my support is for that one.

Sorry I can't help you with the hacking front, but good luck in getting the help you need!

VFkun

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:32:25 am »
As proof of ability, the translator has gone through the intro to SRW Endless Frontier EXCEED.

Intro scroll: http://i.imgur.com/Dr9t31r.png

Translated text: http://pastebin.com/vmgK640D

Each line in the pastebin is connected to an image in the imgur link. Please feel free to compare them.

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:02 am »
Problem is the hacking is the hardest and most time consuming part of translating a game (most people think it's the actual text translation). So good luck finding someone.

Best he can do right now is translate all the text, and make the docs available for a potential future hacker. Or open a Wanted Ad and hope someone shows interest.

For the SRW game, he can try gbatemp.net,  there are a lot of GBA/DS hackers there.

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 10:51:56 am »
Problem is the hacking is the hardest and most time consuming part of translating a game (most people think it's the actual text translation). So good luck finding someone.
I beg to differ, though it may depend on the game. For SRW AP, it pretty much took about 1.5-to-2 years of programming, but it's bound to take 3-to-4 years of translation. And I don't think there's a huge difference in productivity between the people handling either aspect of the project.

Best he can do right now is translate all the text, and make the docs available for a potential future hacker.
I would really recommend NOT to do that. Or at leat to give yourself ample time (a couple of months while actively talking & searching) to find a programmer partner, because writing the text and making it available results in an extra task that nobody volunteers for ever: after programming is ready, they will do a text dump. Then your translation would have to be matched to the dump. (The dump would contain additional technical info to be able to re-insert text once translated.)
Matching an existing translation to dumped Japanese requires almost as good Japanese skills as translating. Translating is less boring, so it's the same as saying someone will redo the translation later.
The only work around this would be for you to keep both Japanese and English translation in your files when you translate. (And even that is tough to reuse - ask Pablitox...)

Of course if you really find no one after months, OK, do as you wish. This is just my 3 cents, anyway.

Or open a Wanted Ad and hope someone shows interest.
I agree with this, and go to IRC to chat and see who's doing what, maybe consider taking a small side project to help and make friends, and try to contact members who have a track record on the console, and post on other sites too. (gbatemp is a good example, I agree with reyvgm).

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 11:37:24 am »
You can try doing the hacking yourself. Or find a friend who wants to try it.

There were some PC hacking guides you could try to follow and/or learn from posted at Fuwanovel forums. They seemed OK, I should check them out too because I know next to nothing about PC hacking.

So that could work for Baldr Heart. Also I think more people know about PC hacking than any other type (is it true!?) but also Baldr Heart is probably the biggest game of those in terms of number of characters in its script. The reason not to do Baldr Heart is that Mangagamer thing someone mentioned above.

I feel like there are a fair number of NDS hackers. They tend to hang out at GBAtemp.net because it's a Nintendo-focused site.
Saturn guys are pretty rare. See for yourself how thin the Saturn section is:
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=13&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=&author=&transsearch=Go
http://www.romhacking.net/?page=hacks&genre=&platform=13&game=&category=&perpage=20&title=&author=&hacksearch=Go

Matching a translation to a dump isn't hard if you know Japanese. At least someone cared enough to translate the text. And if no programmer ever comes, you can time them and create subtitled videos.

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 12:57:43 am »
Might as well also post here what I found out with tinke, nothing groundbreaking but it's a start:

a quick go through the files using tinke crystaltile I found the following:

Everything is stored in .bin files, so tools should be developed to extract everything worth of translation (bin file can store the graphics, script, palette files, etc)
Spoiler:

the file rom.nds (which's kind of big) has NCER and NCGR files inside, you can open it and you'll find the exact same contents as the root plus two other files: arm9ovltable.bin and arm7ovltable.bin so that one will be worth a look or two.

here's the file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/q9zahc4ypacgxsk/rom.nds
Spoiler:

What should I start looking for in-case I want to, let's say,  get the contents of the file rom.nds?
Re taking hajimari no ishi!

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »
It's noteworthy the fact that the translator made a blog just for the sake of understanding the structure of the Mugen no frontier exceed game and it's kind or similar to that of it's prequel.

VFkun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2016, 05:12:45 am »
http://i.imgur.com/WxGmhLY.png

Progress on Endless Frontier EXCEED, the intro has been updated ingame with English text in place of the Japanese.

Isao Kronos

• Kiss From A Rose
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 05:37:33 am »
Great job! I'm looking forward to playing the game eventually, never finished the first one because I (like many others) got sick of FORCED EVASION.

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 02:09:11 pm »
http://i.imgur.com/WxGmhLY.png

Progress on Endless Frontier EXCEED, the intro has been updated ingame with English text in place of the Japanese.

Awesome!  ;D and glad the font is short enough to fit the text, maybe it needs a little bit less of spacing in the L and I letters, I remember solving it by modifying the font file in Summon Night (the DS game).

VFkun

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 07:37:31 pm »
Slight update

All of the event text in Endless Frontier EXCEED has been translated.

As in, all the text not located in text boxes are now translated.

They display in a similar manner to the text in the prologue image in my previous post.

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »
We are currently stuck on the .sb files, there doesn't seem to be any visible text in it, and this is where the script should be located  :banghead:

any help would be welcome, here's a link with the .sb files:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/7m89eae9wtgez1r/sb.rar

pablitox

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2016, 09:31:54 am »
Here's the root folder of the game:

There doesn't seem to be anything of importance here, so i'll jump straight to the file data.srl. It has a lot of folders:
[size=18]battle folder: 4 subfolders  (chr,dat,map,sys)[/size]

battle/dat/JA contains files in a ###_###.dat format. The first set of numbers refers to a specific character and the second set is broken up into something else. The second set of numbers only has 3 variants—100, 200 and 500. (The first set goes up to 530.) For playable characters, files that end in _100 list their regular attacks, _200 files are for support attacks and 500 are for their special/super attacks. Enemies don’t have _200 files as they’re incapable of being summoned in for support attacks. For example, 001_100.dat contains the following information. We know from the attack names that 001 is the character identifier for Alady Na’ash (アレディ・ナアシュ) and 100 lists his regular attacks. Since the data is uncompressed, it renders perfectly fine under SHIFT-JIS character encoding. (Haoh Kuuen Kyaku/Dominator’s Aerial Circle Kick—Basic stats: Power B/Gauge buildup B, additional effects: none)

battle/chr/00#/001_###.pk# are compressed, though text renders fine under SHIFT-JIS, here's bits of text so i'm guessing it has to do with player/enemies options during battles? StandBy..Damage..Down..sh..Back.Spe.cial.Ite.m.Masic..Jump.Rot.ation for main characters, and StandBy..Attack for rivals?

battle/map/00#.pk has graphic data in the form of maps of the game (visible using GBA 8bpp tile form in crystaltile).

battle/sys the following files: mface, oface folders with a bunch of 00#.pk also, files kakeai0#.dat for #=1 or 2 mengra.pk and objgra.pk, from my observations they could have some control on the graphic shown during battle.

[size=18]mv folder[/size]
Different files used to make up the opening cinematic of the game.

[size=18]cf folder: 5 subfolders (mapd,mapw,mobj,sbg,sys)[/size]
On this one I have no idea, there's supposedly shopdata, there's also the minimap, though everything seems to point at the map menu. No script there.

[size=18]ef folder: esp folder , then 4 subfolders (ce, ci, pe, we)  (mapd,mapw,mobj,sbg,sys)[/size]
honestly, not sure about these files either, but .evd must mean something event related, still, I uncompressed all of them and there wasn't any visible data that could lead to the script, not to mention their size were rather short, like ~3000 bytes

[size=18]ev folder: (bg, chr) [/size]
possibly backgrounds for the different events, nothing script related either, compressed with LZ10.

[size=18]sb folder: (bs, cs (CharacterStory?)js ss)  (mapd,mapw,mobj,sbg,sys)[/size]
these files in particular hav an extension not used in any other file, THIS is were I think the script is. Readable text though? none, which is weird.

[size=18]snd folder: (adx) [/size]
sound files.

[size=18]sys[/size]
items, skills, spirits, all uncompressed
Logo of startup screen

[size=18]test[/size]
matsuzawa? ymiyake?

[size=18]tev and tuto[/size]
tev containts all events in the game, by that I mean the colored text that appears from time to time. Tutorial is about, well, all the tutorials the game gives you (how to battle, how to use save-points, etc)

[size=18]ftc[/size]
bunch of bin files, no script

In conclusion: I searched through all the game's files and did not find a single script text. Every file was LZ10 compressed and could be decompressed using crystaltile, but i didn't find anything script related. Which leads again to the .sb files, the script must be there, but I can't see anything.

Here's a comparison between Super Robot taisen OG saga Endless frontier, and  Super Robot taisen OG saga Endless frontier EXCEED:

n the previous game, it would appear that the in-game text was stored in the sb folder. Both the Japanese and English versions of the ROM lack JA folders but Monolith Soft probably didn’t think that their game would get a translation (which is funny because Exceed didn’t, but has special folders for Japanese.) Either way, the text we want is in the sb/cs folder (cs=character script?), assuming everything is laid out in the same way.

08B78EE0 is the address we’d like to return to here, so let’s look at the Japanese version of Endless Frontier vanilla first.

Albeit in a slightly different place (ツァイト=Zeit), the script is in the same folder. Let’s go back to Exceed…

As you can see, between both versions things changed a lot. What could have happened?

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2017, 08:54:22 pm »
Just wanted to inform you that Hotaru (Here) or Eldinen (GBATemp, but looks to be the same person) is hacking that DS game Endless Frontier EXCEED.