Since I had spent the time figuring out how to write a Riivolution patch for a different game, I created one for this translation. Here is the most recent public build running on hardware:
I need to go find some new batteries, apparently.
Everything appears to work fine except for the file selection screen, and the message that just popped up while typing this telling me that my wiimote is dead, which displays as mojibake
(I am guessing this is because it's referencing a Japanese system font that isn't there, as this happens with some Japanese GameCube games on NA consoles). Is this some of the 5% of text that is not yet implemented? The HOME button menu is in Japanese, is that what "main.dol" patches? I had to leave that out because I don't know how to incorporate that fix into a Riivolution version, or if it is possible.
I would be happy to share my patch, with MarkAss's permission (and if they decide to make the raw files available, which Riivolution requires). Writing it was easy, but kind of tedious, so I guess it'd save them some time if nothing else.
e: It'd been so long, I had forgotten that mutaharu had offered to make the xml file before I did. I was just making one for myself and thought I'd share, I didn't intend to scoop them or nothin'.
ee: Turns out my xml file was needlessly overcomplicated and I got the patch working with the modified main.dol no problem. Awesome. I had a difficult time Googling this, so I guess for posterity, if you want to replace files in the DATA/sys/ folder, such as main.dol, all that is required in the patch section is:
<folder external="/[folder on sd card root]" recursive="false"/>
<folder external="/[folder on sd card root]" disc="/"/>