News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: StarOcean SNES -> Help with some phrases  (Read 3782 times)

magno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
StarOcean SNES -> Help with some phrases
« on: October 04, 2016, 02:28:10 pm »
Hi everybody,

As many of you may know, I'm translating the game into spanish using both the japanese and english script (from Dejap). So far, I'm translating items and item dscriptions from japanese, and there are some phrases I can't translate:

1) This is the description of a item called "ど一じん"

同人誌。ユ一ザ一の作品に対する“愛”が臨界点に達した時に生まれる結晶体

In english, the item was translated as "Fan Art", but I really want to know what it's the original description and name.

2) This is the description of sword called "Doom Blade":

厄災のを冠したいわくありげな剣

I haven't got the sightest idea of what it means, not even in english.

Thanks for you help!

NoOneee

• View Profile
Re: StarOcean SNES -> Help with some phrases
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 03:04:34 pm »
The first item is actually どーじん, which is the same as  どうじん, which is Doujin(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Djin).
The description starts with 同人誌(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Djinshi), so I'd assume it is some kind of magazine of fan works.

I don't know the context of the game, and don't know much Japanese, but I think the description means something like
'Fan magazine. Created in response of Yuuzaa's work "Love" reaching a critical point.'

But treat that as a guesslation  :)

The description of the Doom Blade just seems something like "Sword whose name starts with Doom".

azidahaka

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 06:08:28 pm »
Hi everybody,

As many of you may know, I'm translating the game into spanish using both the japanese and english script (from Dejap). So far, I'm translating items and item dscriptions from japanese, and there are some phrases I can't translate:

1) This is the description of a item called "ど一じん"

同人誌。ユ一ザ一の作品に対する“愛”が臨界点に達した時に生まれる結晶体

In english, the item was translated as "Fan Art", but I really want to know what it's the original description and name.

2) This is the description of sword called "Doom Blade":

厄災のを冠したいわくありげな剣

I haven't got the sightest idea of what it means, not even in english.

Thanks for you help!

in the game there's a fanzine of a music group so you got it right magno. Actually Fanzine may be the way to go with the item.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 01:26:12 am »
The first item is actually どーじん, which is the same as  どうじん, which is Doujin(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Djin).
The description starts with 同人誌(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C5%8Djinshi), so I'd assume it is some kind of magazine of fan works.

I don't know the context of the game, and don't know much Japanese, but I think the description means something like
'Fan magazine. Created in response of Yuuzaa's work "Love" reaching a critical point.'

But treat that as a guesslation  :)

The description of the Doom Blade just seems something like "Sword whose name starts with Doom".

Thanks for your answer; maybe some japanese pal in this forum could give a more accurate translation.

in the game there's a fanzine of a music group so you got it right magno. Actually Fanzine may be the way to go with the item.

Not really. That's in the Dejap's version, but in the original japanese version there is not such an item: there are 5 items called "どーじん", but none of them is a fanzine of a music group. In fact, all the items have the same description.
However, in the Dejap's versions there are 3 items calles "Fan-Art", one more called "Book of Hentai" and the fifth item is called "Stalkers Comic". This makes me think they were a free translation from Dejap, not accurate with the original japanese script.

That's why I would like to know what the real description in the original japanese game was.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 01:33:25 am by magno »

Seihen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »
Doujin/doujinshi is a tough thing to translate, since it can actually be a large variety of things. Though manga are what people are most familiar with (doujinshi), there's also doujin games/software, doujin music, doujin novels, and more.

While I can understand the 'fanzine' translation, my feeling of a 'zine is that it's like a magazine, which simply includes info maybe some pictures, articles, etc. about whatever group or thing you're passionate about. Look up old Star Trek, band, and toy fanzines from the 90s and earlier to see what I'm talking about. I don't think it catches the meaning of what's being described.

At the end of the day, a 'doujinshi' is a fan-made, unlicensed comic based off of a series. Unlicensed comic sounds lame, but I think it's closer to the meaning.

NoOneee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 08:19:33 pm »
I just realized that "Yuuzaa" is probably "user"  :laugh:
Yuuzaa's work = user's work, work of user. I'm guessing user is "fan" here.

I forgot to say that once again you had the 一 and ー mixed up, the description should be:
「同人誌。ユーザーの作品に対する“愛”が臨界点に達した時に生まれる結晶体」

I'll make another guesslation  ::)
Fan comic. Created out fans' love (for the original work) reaching a critical point.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 11:32:56 am »
Fan comic. Created out fans' love (for the original work) reaching a critical point.

I like it a lot  ;)

Thank you both, Sehien and NoOneee

I forgot to say that once again you had the 一 and ー mixed up,

You are absolutely right, I forgot to thank you about make me notice. I already fixed it in my japanese script extraction tool.

DonkeyKong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 06:18:17 pm »
You lost a 名 in the Doom Blade description, found the description online as:
厄災の名を冠したいわくありげな剣

I would translate this as something like "Rumor has it this sword was named in honor of disaster."
It sounds weird in English because obviously something called "Doom Blade" is named after disaster. Hopefully it sounds properly mysterious when you translate it to Spanish!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:15:12 am »
You lost a 名 in the Doom Blade description, found the description online as:
厄災の名を冠したいわくありげな剣

I would translate this as something like "Rumor has it this sword was named in honor of disaster."
It sounds weird in English because obviously something called "Doom Blade" is named after disaster. Hopefully it sounds properly mysterious when you translate it to Spanish!

I double-checked my scripts and that 名 doesn't appear in the description... I wonder if there is some bug in my japanese dumper tool... Did you figure out that I had missed 名 or did you cheked it in-game?

As for the spanish translation, I don't think it will sound much better XD

DonkeyKong

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
My guess would have to be that there's a typo in the game. It's number 14 on this list:
http://lazydays.hotcom-web.com/SS/so1/weapon.html
名を冠する means "to name something after something else" and without the 名 it just means "to crown"
The text you dumped would be something like "A blade rumored to be used in the coronation of the doomed" which actually sounds way cooler. I would use that translation even if it's wrong!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 06:11:57 am »
Hi again,

I need help again with some phrases; in this case, the text is stored in ROM as compressed graphics and would like to know what this text means. Hope you can help.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 04:45:45 am by magno »

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 11:04:29 am »
While my Japanese is pretty rudimentary, those seem like the subtitles for the intro sequence, or at least part of it. Seems to be missing the narrator's text from the beginning and the end of said sequence. I believe DougRPG had those translated for his Star Ocean project.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2017, 12:12:31 pm »
While my Japanese is pretty rudimentary, those seem like the subtitles for the intro sequence, or at least part of it. Seems to be missing the narrator's text from the beginning and the end of said sequence. I believe DougRPG had those translated for his Star Ocean project.

Yes, those phrases appear in the intro, while the starship scene. I found a translation from the spoken dialogue, but not sure if it's accurate with the japanese text:

Code: [Select]
* Captain's log, stardate 346. Our ship has completed its mission of deep space investigation, right on schedule. Now we're headed home.

*  Would you like some coffee, Captain?

* Yes, I'd like that. Thank you.

* Captain! We've just picked up a huge amount of unidentified energy!

* Where?

* Mark 301.209 in Sector Gamma.

* Resonia Section? Get it on the screen!

* An enormous shock wave is approaching!

* Shield the ship!

* What the hell!?

* Stardate 346. Now, through an unknown force, a totally new age is about to begin. Is it God's will, or the irony of fate? And still mankind makes its way where no one has gone before. People say the universe is a star ocean.

But I can't tell if all the text matches with all the images, or there is some part of the conversation which isn't showed in text.

mziab

• View Profile
    • mteam
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:05 pm »
Well, obviously none of the images have 346 in them, so those parts are missing. They might be stored in another file. The rest of the dialogue is on the spaceship, while the very start and the very end are narrated.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2017, 10:56:30 pm »
Ah, the intro screen that DeJap didn't want to subtitle (even though like half the voices were drowned out by the music. I'm guessing that since it was ENGLISH voice in a JAPANESE game, the devs weren't as concerned about being able to understand the voices :P ).
They were just like "go look up an FAQ if you can't hear the speakers".
Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Christmas sales of the PS3:
"It's a little fortuitous that the Wii is running out of hardware."

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 04:42:30 am »
Yes, and may be they're more difficult to translate than I think at first: the japanese script has 12 dialogues occuping a whole data block with this structure:

[window_style 38][image XX][pause][end]

with XX ranging 01 to 0C. Those  commands instruct the game engine to put a transparent window on screen (i.e. no window at all) and then put an image decompressed from ROM using S-DD1. Those 12 images are the ones I post below on the side of each screenshot, but they are not containing the full intro sequence. Instead, those phrases only appear inside the starship, not when the screen shows the planet or the zooming starship. I have to find where that text is store in ROM and which format, since there is no text in the script that matches or any other command in the script that could be related to those images.

So, this is what I have so far:

* Our ship has completed its mission of deep space investigation, right on schedule.
->

* Now we're headed home.
->

* Would you like some coffee, Captain?
->

* Thank you.
->

* I'll take some.
->

* Captain!
->

* We've just picked up a huge amount of unidentified energy!
->

* Where?
->

* Mark 301.209 in Sector Gamma.
->

* Resonia Section?
->

* Get it on the screen!
->

* What the hell happened?
->

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »
It's near the same english text you posted, except it's a shorter version :

Captain's log, stardate 346.

***********  (this one seems to be different from the copy-paste but some kanjis are to small/blurry for my bad sight. "爆発のの巨大エネルギー波が")

***********  (this one seems to be different from the copy-paste but some kanjis are to small/blurry for my bad sight. "本(this one need to be double checked but it seems to fit with the context)に接近してみます")

Shield the ship!

Stardate 346.

Now, through an unknown force,

a totally new age is about to begin.

Is it God's will?

Or the irony of fate?

And still, mankind...

makes its way where no one has gone before.

People say

the universe is a star ocean.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:44:32 pm by Hiei- »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 02:46:42 pm »
Thanks a lot for your help, Hiei-!!

I translated some of those dialogues:

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=23401.msg330762#msg330762

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2017, 09:39:53 am »
No problem.

I think I found the missing kanji (and the one I wasn't sure seem to perfectly fit the context anyway so it's pretty sure it's the right one).

A huge energy wave, on the edge of explosion,

is getting closer/drawing near of the Mother Ship.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2017, 03:11:54 am »
No problem.

I think I found the missing kanji (and the one I wasn't sure seem to perfectly fit the context anyway so it's pretty sure it's the right one).

A huge energy wave, on the edge of explosion,

is getting closer/drawing near of the Mother Ship.

Thanks for your help! I already had translated both phrases just the same way you did :D