News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]  (Read 22035 times)

Zero Dozer

• The world is just my medicine ball, you're all in
    • View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2016, 10:09:04 pm »
To Zero Dozer:
Yes, the hack is meant for every player (I even mentioned other changes, like weapon changes for X to make his weapons more viable) and secondly, the Alia change isn't just for speedrunners: it's for everyone who thinks (not just me I assure you) that she breaks up the pace of the levels. I stated this like 2-3 times now.
Dozer, there's no need to argue over this again. If you want to argue with me about that, we can do so in PMs. The possible solutions as to what do to with Alia have been posted here, no need to fill up the thread about this.

Also, to argue your two points about Boss lifebars and invincibilities:
If you meant just shortening their invincibilities a bit but not remove them, then I'm sorry for having misunderstood you earlier. Thing is, I'm kind of worried that altering some of the invincibilities could lead to some boss fights becoming almost pointless but it could be done: in the case of something like Dinorex with the Spiral, if anything, his animation should be sped up when he gets hit by the Spiral, and then cut his invincibility so that it matches the new animation speed. That way, you cut down on his invincibility a little and speed up the fight without severely altering the difficulty. (Then again, Dinorex isn't tough, with or without the Spiral) But I will state that you (in theory) can't cut down on them that much, because you run the risk of making the fights too easy, and possibly making bosses too susceptible to certain attacks (like X's Plasma shots, or his Gaea Armor's Giga attack)

As for the boss lifebars, keep in mind that they only get really long after they get to a certain level, and on Easy, at least the rematch Maverick ones, since they don't get buffed to Lv. 96.
If anything, the higher level lifebars should be cut down, so while the levels do give extra life to bosses, it's not to an absurd degree like the rematch Maverick ones.
The initial boss lifebars (and they stay for a good chunk of the game) are hardly that long. These ones shouldn't be altered or you run the risk of making the game too easy.

Yeah, I meant to shorten their invincibility a bit. Burn Dinorex's case is the most intriguing, and there's Dark Dizzy, which gets even Buster shots functioning as his weakness, and his weakness animation drags entirely the fight. I also agree that it shouldn't be too short (Hell, even without that modification one can spam the Ultimate Armor's Giga Attack for an easy win), just something near X3's mercy invincibility. I also agree that the shortest gauges don't need to be shortened, only the super long ones.

I'll see if I can replay the game and get a check for what else I feel is wrong.

PS: There is actually one: Falcon Armor should be able to charge special weapons.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2016, 08:56:44 am »
And done:

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2016, 09:11:13 am »
Looks awesome, fantastic job Dragoon!

justin3009

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2016, 12:32:19 pm »
@DarkSamus993: May I ask what you're using to modify this game and how you're doing so?  I've been meaning to get into the PSX hacking scene for awhile and the farthest I've truly gotten was modifying Tales of Destiny just slightly.  I had to modify some of the code to let PC's who don't use certain weapons load up in battle, rather than forcing the battle to end like the games does.  But I'm curious as to what you're using.  (I was using NO$PSX though I'm not sure if I was doing anything properly)
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 26, 2016, 05:18:29 pm »
@Magma Dragoon: Those look great! When I get done with fixing up the core game mechanics and get into all the secondary patch stuff people have suggested (such as reverting the boss names), I'll be sure to use these (with your permission and a credit of course).

Btw, Dark, I know this is highly unlikely, but is there any chance of restoring the original X4 soundset for the Dragoon fight in the training stage?
Even less likely, but does Dragoon keep the sprites for his other X4 attacks that he doesn't use in X5? (I believe the attacks he doesn't use in X5 are summoning a fireball to create a lava pillar, and summoning a storm of fireballs that descend from above) If he does, is there any chance of restoring his unused X4 attacks? 
He does have all the graphics he had from X4, some just go unused since they removed certain attacks (no idea if there is code leftovers or not). The soundset is indeed different, it's even missing him saying "shoryuken". Restoring his missing attacks would require a lot of work (if it's even possible).

@DarkSamus993: May I ask what you're using to modify this game and how you're doing so?  I've been meaning to get into the PSX hacking scene for awhile and the farthest I've truly gotten was modifying Tales of Destiny just slightly.  I had to modify some of the code to let PC's who don't use certain weapons load up in battle, rather than forcing the battle to end like the games does.  But I'm curious as to what you're using.  (I was using NO$PSX though I'm not sure if I was doing anything properly)
I've been using Tile Molester Mod for inserting/editing graphics+palettes, PCSX Agemo Debugger for tracing code, and pSX's built-in debugger for poking around the game's RAM (I also used it as a real-time tile/sprite editor when I was modifying the save/load screen - just dumped as a binary file when I was finished and copied the bytes to the correct file and re-inserted into the ISO). I've only had to do minor rewrites of code thus far, so I've just been using a hex editor to handle that.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2016, 10:42:54 am »
To be honest, both Bolt and Volt are written 'boruto" in Japanese. But all modern websites use the Volt spelling.

I'm more worried about the names that are NOT how people always call them. The whale, pegasus and firefly are Makkoeen, Pegacion and Hotarunicus, respectively.

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2016, 01:41:07 pm »
And done:

There are moments I wish there would be a like button on these forums.

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2016, 10:40:47 pm »
To be honest, both Bolt and Volt are written 'boruto" in Japanese. But all modern websites use the Volt spelling.

I'm more worried about the names that are NOT how people always call them. The whale, pegasus and firefly are Makkoeen, Pegacion and Hotarunicus, respectively.
That being said, makko kujiraa stands for Sperm whale in JPN (from what I've searched on google) So Makkoeen would sort of be translated to Whaleon, sorta, I guess.
It's kinda like how in X1, Storm Eagleed became Storm Eagle.
The english translations essentially remove the extra stuff (like Hotaru would mean Firefly, yet his JPN name is Hotarunicus.) and are still faithful to their original names without being a direct copy and paste translation.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2016, 11:36:06 pm »
If I may make a suggestion about the maverick names...

I was a little bit confused at first too, because I think it was the manual that had different names for the mavericks, where-as in the game their names were different.

The way I made logic out of it, at least for myself, was that one name was the type of maverick, and that the other name was that maverick's actual name.

For example:

Maverick Type: Burn Dinorex
Maverick's Name: Mattrex

So, for instance, there could be a small group of the same type of mavericks (a group of Burn Dinorex'), but out of that group, only one would be named Mattrex, and maybe another would be named Scorcher or something like that.

You could do something like that with Chill Penguin for instance:

Maverick Type: Ice Bird
Maverick's Name: Chill Penguin

That being said, I actually like both names in X5.

By all means this is your hack and do what you want with it, but my suggestion was to use both names in that manner:

In the middle of the screen, it would be MATTREX, just like in the english version of X5 right now, but on the right side of the screen, it would say "TYPE:" and the type of maverick it is (BURN DINOREX).

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2016, 12:14:34 pm »
Burn Dinorex doesn't really sound like a type of maverick though. It's pretty specific to have fire dinosaurs as a group.

Btw I was wondering if it'd be possible to make a button change between X and Zero in a stage similar to X3. Not expecting it to happen but just wondering. They re-added that feature in later games and I always found it fun to swap characters during specific instances in areas. It could also save backtracking to get certain parts/powerups.(if x5 needed zero/x specifically for certain areas. I know x6 did since I started replaying it)

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 03, 2016, 03:04:22 pm »
that would be a really neat feature, but I'm worried how much hacking you would have do to make it work.
Especially given the 3rd Virus stage is dependent on which character is selected due to 2 specific things: the upgrade you get (either Ultimate X or Black Zero) and the actual boss fight.
Regardless, that would be awesome.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2016, 04:37:48 pm »
It could be disabled for that one level.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2016, 05:34:11 pm »
I'm not sure that stage would make any difference other than making the story awkward (for example swapping during that stage and then going into the boss room and suddenly X, who you just changed from a second ago appears). I would assume the boss is dependant on who opens the door. Or that makes the most sense to me. It could start all the way back at stage select though. Still if this was ever made possible I'd expect that stage to remove that possibility, as well as if Zero became infected or w/e.

Aura Of The Dawn

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 02:59:43 am »
Forgive me if I missed this, but you talk about getting all the parts, so I assume it comes up at some point...

Will you fix the biggest and most glaring flaw of all, having to suicide all our lives and stage select, and repeat, over and over, just to waste time? I mean, fine, the time gimmick was cool,but making optimum gameplay deliberately waste time just to start is just.... a horrid design flaw.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 06:35:11 am »
/\ agreed

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2016, 10:00:30 am »
Sorry for the lack of updates lately, I've not been feeling well and have been busy with other things. There hasn't been much more progress made other than mapping out some stuff in RAM.

I did manage to locate the active player table (states, flags, X/YPos on screen, X/YPos in stage, etc.) as well as the tables for the U-555 submarine in Duff McWhalen's stage. Hopefully tracing from these values will lead to locating the camera/BG tables so that stage's scrolling speed can be sped up (then perhaps the stage won't be quite so boring/tedious).

Forgive me if I missed this, but you talk about getting all the parts, so I assume it comes up at some point...

Will you fix the biggest and most glaring flaw of all, having to suicide all our lives and stage select, and repeat, over and over, just to waste time? I mean, fine, the time gimmick was cool,but making optimum gameplay deliberately waste time just to start is just.... a horrid design flaw.
Yes, that issue will be fixed.

The game works like this:
The boss level is set based on the "time remaining" counter. Then on the mission report screen it simply checks what the boss level is to determine if you'll receive parts or not.

This means the checks for setting boss levels and receiving parts can be altered individually. Examples:
• 16 hours remaining = set boss level to 8 = receive parts (edit how the boss level is set).
• 16 hours remaining = set boss level to 1 = receive parts (edit how receiving parts is set).

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2016, 10:51:33 am »
Though Im quite content with the project as it is would the possibility of switching characters in stages be a feasible option?

Zero Dozer

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »
The game works like this:
The boss level is set based on the "time remaining" counter. Then on the mission report screen it simply checks what the boss level is to determine if you'll receive parts or not.

This means the checks for setting boss levels and receiving parts can be altered individually. Examples:
• 16 hours remaining = set boss level to 8 = receive parts (edit how the boss level is set).
• 16 hours remaining = set boss level to 1 = receive parts (edit how receiving parts is set).

So this is why I got only six parts at most? Nice to know.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2016, 02:13:41 pm »
Though Im quite content with the project as it is would the possibility of switching characters in stages be a feasible option?
As far as the game is concerned, it seems like it might be feasible (my skills on the other hand...)

The game has 2 values it checks in the active player table in RAM. The first values determines if you are X or Zero, and the second determines what armor is currently being used. Really the main issue is the need to swap out graphics (player graphics are compressed and stored in RAM, everything else gets put into VRAM during level loading).

In order from left to right: X swapped to Zero, Zero swapped to X, and X swapped to Forth Armor and then Ultimate Armor.
Spoiler:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:20:45 pm by DarkSamus993 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:30 pm »
as well as the tables for the U-555 submarine in Duff McWhalen's stage. Hopefully tracing from these values will lead to locating the camera/BG tables so that stage's scrolling speed can be sped up (then perhaps the stage won't be quite so boring/tedious).
That would be a major improvement!