News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]  (Read 22146 times)

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2016, 12:47:43 pm »
Doesn't only X4 have a PC version?

All X games besides X2 have a PC version.

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2016, 06:52:51 am »
Awesome project man!
Here are some suggestions I can think off the top of my head:

-In regards to the Shadow Devil I would say buff his 2nd form (the Wily Tank) as it's too slow and gives you way too much time to react, while tone down his first form a little (namely remove the green outline, make the weakness damage him a bit more, and make the asymmetrical version of the double block attacks slower)

-Shorten the rematch Maverick boss lifebars (at Lv. 96 IIRC, they are ridiculously long) a bit.

-My suggestion for making X harder is to make him faster. He takes ages to do attacks and as a result, 99% of his attacks are highly predictable and telegraphed, and it doesn't help that unlike Zero, he does have a weakness (albeit one that he doesn't react to but it does more damage than other attacks, it's Zero's Quake Blazer) Maybe reduce the damage done from the Quake Blazer a bit.

-Restore the Japanese VA for X and Zero in gameplay as well as the announcer for the Mavericks/Dynamo. (For stage select)

-IDK if you can import music from the X5 beta that was leaked, but could you replace the Zero Virus theme for the stage select screen? (it originally used an entirely different song as opposed to recycling a section of the 1st Virus theme)

-Maybe swap out the intro video for the original japanese one? Also, restore the japanese credits song.

-The Gaia/Gaea Armor was supposed to be able to use subweapons, but not being able to charge them (as is on the X5 beta) however, due to unknown reasons (possibly balancing) the ability to use subweapons with this armor was removed. Some bits remain in the final version: the palettes for each of the weapons is still present, but the coding is completely gone. This might be too difficult though, even with the beta version of the armor.

-Buff the weapons for X. Admittedly, some of the weapons can be good if charged up (like the C-Shot's shield) but most aren't really effective, especially when compared to Zero's techniques (although one is weak, I'll get to that in a moment) Spike Ball could go for a longer distance and take less time to recover, C-Shot could do a little more damage, F. Laser should either be faster (although this would make getting the Gaia armor part in Necrobat's stage nearly impossible) or stronger. I'm probably going to think about this a little more.

-For Zero, his W-Shredder technique needs 3 improvements: One, the input. I noticed that I accidentally have done this attack several times, and that's thanks to how the input works: Dash + Attack button. Changing it to the Special attack button would help, although it may interfere with the Z-Buster. The ideal thing would be to actually have to select W-Shredder as if it were a special weapon, and then have it replace the Buster/Special attack button, that way, no further accidents would occur.
Two, damage output is pathetically low. I know it can't do that much damage, otherwise you risk breaking the game, but a little bit more damage would help out.
Third and last, Zero takes a while to recover from this animation (he pretty much has to wait until the attack is done in order to move again) Maybe making Zero recover a bit faster (not so much that you would end up spamming the attack, but at least a little bit quicker)

Sorry for the wall of text, but I really enjoyed X5 and with some polishing here and there, the game could be way better than it is currently. Wish you good luck!

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2016, 10:58:41 pm »
Small update:
I got the bug in Grizzly Slash's stage fixed, so all stages are playable now. The game was indeed checking if that specific dialogue had been viewed, and if it wasn't it would not load the hit-box for the laser cannon.

I've also been prepping the save/load screens for when all parts will be collectible:

- all sixteen parts will load now instead of only eight.
- each part now has a designated slot to go in instead of being placed incrementally.
- the palette each part uses has been changed to be consistent with X6.

I just need to redo the save/load screen backgrounds so the 'time remaining until impact' is not covered up and those screens will be done. Then I can move on to re-coding it so you can actually receive all the parts. It will take time to figure out how everything works and altering the mission report screen to accommodate the changes.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 12:20:21 am by DarkSamus993 »

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2016, 11:38:31 pm »
Are any voice clips in the Japanese version of X4 reused in X5? If so, I'd like to see an option (I repeat, an option) to have their English X4 equivalents ported over. Yes, even if it means having to hear X sound like a prepubescent boy.

Zero Dozer

• The world is just my medicine ball, you're all in
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 04:15:08 pm »
So, DarkSamus993, have you taken our suggestion into account? We serioulsy need those boss fights fixed.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2016, 04:24:01 pm »
So, DarkSamus993, have you taken our suggestion into account? We serioulsy need those boss fights fixed.
Yes, I'll be trying to fix the issues with bosses (weapon effectiveness, invincibility frames, etc.)

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2016, 04:39:51 pm »
Dark, did you try to swap music? I'm curious if it's possible to swap music from X5 with either X4 or X6's.
Sorry if I'm bothering you with too many requests!

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 05:01:48 pm »
Dark, did you try to swap music? I'm curious if it's possible to swap music from X5 with either X4 or X6's.
Sorry if I'm bothering you with too many requests!
It's probably possible. There are a couple of unused tracks from X5 that people have suggested be restored for a secondary patch (one of the several things I'll be attempting after the core gameplay has been fixed).

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »

Amazing!
These improvements have been on the top of my wishlist of game hacks since I first played this game. This thread makes me happy.  :woot!:

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 04:34:33 am »
It's probably possible. There are a couple of unused tracks from X5 that people have suggested be restored for a secondary patch (one of the several things I'll be attempting after the core gameplay has been fixed).
Awesome, thanks man.

With X's weapons, here's another suggestion:

The Tri-Thunder stands out for being one of the least garbage non charged weapons of X.
But charged, the thunder is near useless: what it does is it fires off a bolt in front of you, and then it starts firing bolts all over the place, albeit slowly and one by one.
Outside of the first Sigma fight (and even then, it's random if the bolts will hit Sigma) the charged version is near useless.
I know making it into a Pseudo Giga Attack (kinda like Mjinion's weapon charged up on X6) is probably hard to do, but would it be possible to at least buff the speed of the bolts and making their patterns at least a bit more consistent, and not so random?

The charged version of the Spike Ball should stay on screen longer, it barely stays on screen before it goes off. (at least 5 extra seconds)
Looking back, non charged Spike Ball doesn't need a recovery change, it only needs to travel back faster to X to make up for the extra distance buff.

X's Spiral weapon is horrendous, both charged and non charged: Regular version should do more damage. Charged version needs to be faster, it's too damn slow, and if the intention was for the attack to be slow, but to damage as much as possible because of how slow it is, it needs a change, when the fire weapon can do that without being charged.
Charged Spiral should be faster, and if it turns out it's not killing enemies, the damage should also receive a buff as well. (essentially, if it's twice as fast, make it so that it does twice the damage)

Looking back on my W-Shredder suggestion, I would actually say take back what I said about the recovery being slow for Zero, it's actually not that slow. If anything, it's the distance that needs a buff, not so to the point of rendering the Z-Buster useless, but still good enough to make the Shredder worthwhile.

I still haven't thought about the rest of X's weapons, I'll post back if I can think of something else.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 07:13:33 pm »
(Just to see if I could help with anything, I just tried to add the japanese audio to the american english video, and while I didn't have any trouble converting to AVI+WAV and swaping audio sourced, I couldn't convert the raw AVI back... The only AVI to STR conversion tool in the site does very weird things, and is barely translated :laugh: ... Gonna try again later on...)

Zero Dozer

• The world is just my medicine ball, you're all in
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2016, 02:09:55 pm »
Also, DarkSamus, it seems you want us to be able to get all 16 parts in a gameplay?

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:33 pm »
I like what you're doing, but I don't believe Alia Dialogue needs to be disabled that does not give the player a option if they wish to do so or not since that seems more of a personal preference than a flaw. At least make a option rather than a absolute, you will have players that do want the story-aspect of the game to be intact. Hopefully keep this in mind for two different patches which disables, but not the other.

I've seen you & Thanatos over at Sprites.Inc, nice to see you all again.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:08:21 am by Kallisto »

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:22 am »
Very few players would agree with you Kallisto.
Story wise, nothing Alia says during the stages is relevant or important, and in fact, in the case of the stage revisits after unlocking the final stages, she just shows up at the start of the level just to stop you for a few seconds while stating the abundantly obvious (DERP, FINAL STAGES UNLOCKED, NO REASON TO BE HERE DERP is what her message can be summed up as)
In fact, most people consider this a flaw because she keeps breaking the pace of the game. Keeping in mind that speed is one of the main highlights of the X series, it's a complete and total bummer to keep stopping because of extremely obvious advice that on rare occasion is useful (the one example being Dinorex's stage)
I can understand if you are a newcomer to the series, as Alia was evidently made for that purpose (given her advice) but for anyone remotely experienced on the MMX games. Hell, if you just played and beat, say, X4 only, you won't need Alia. AT ALL.
Especially worse if you are doing a speedrun of X5.
That being said, making it into an option like X6 did would be the best way to satisfy everyone, but if it can't be done, removing her dialogues isn't as bad as you may think. It benefits the game more rather than hurting it.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:22 am »
I don't necessarily agree with that. The way you're suggesting that seems to be more for speed players (I never got the idea that you were meant to pace like a mad man in the X series), and the many times I've played X5 that Alia's dialogue has never really bothered me, but yes it should be a option in the end as you and I are suggesting. That is all I'm trying to say.

Again I love everything he is doing to clean up the game, but the disabling the dialogue permanently is a bit of a deal breaker for me personally.

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 10:53:26 am »
I'm not suggesting it just for speed players, but for regular players as well. (The pacing of some stages does improve thanks to the removal, I suggest you check out the X5 prototype in case you haven't. Grizzly's stage in particular is better without the advice) It's not one of X5's biggest flaws, but it's certainly one of the most annoying and consistent ones.
If anything, Alia's advice would have worked better if it was less frequent and only on stages where it would actually help (Dinorex is one such example.) if Capcom wanted to make it mandatory.
I still really don't get why they added her advice at the start of a level you revisit once you unlock the final stages (where she's absent)It serves absolutely no purpose whatsoever, and seems like a waste of programming to me.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2016, 12:22:04 pm »
Perhaps if it isn't possible to make the dialog optional you could take out the useless info and leave the useful info. Maybe even replace the useless dialog with more useful dialog rather than removing everything.

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2016, 01:10:54 pm »
Hmm, IDK.
Personally, as Kallisto and I have stated, the ideal solution to please everybody is to make it like X6(in other words, optional), but there's no telling how hard could that be to implement.

BTW, Dark, any clue as to how the difficulties work? By this I mean, how are changes to bosses going to work on each difficulty? like is there a separate table for each boss in regards to how much damage they do, how much damage they take per difficulty? or is there just a multiplier flag that gets activated per difficulty?
Another thing, are parts possible to obtain on Easy now? Boss levels don't change on Easy so you can't obtain them on that difficulty.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2016, 05:13:59 pm »
I would remove all in-stage text completely. Even the constant beeping for unnecesary dialogue in X6 annoys me. As much as I enjoyed X5's plot, it's an action game first, you're supposed to explore, you're suppose to figure out basic stuff like "lava kills you", "climb the ladder" and "be careful". You don't need to be a speedrunner to appreciate that.

People defending the dialogues, maybe this hack isn't for you? Considering the main issue to improve on, as described from the first post, was to remove those dialogues. Perhaps you could kindly ask DarkSamus to make a series of different patches instead of just one that includes everything, so you can benefit for the other improvements and still keep Alia babbling.

Personally, I'm looking forward for the core improvements that are already being worked on, don't really mind much of the minor stuff that's been mentioned by others :woot!:
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:49:53 am by azulo »

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2016, 07:00:50 pm »
It took longer than expected, but the save/load screen overhaul is complete! I ended up using 4 tiles less than the original box that holds all the items/equipment. If I had used more tiles I would have had to figure out how to expand and re-point all the base sprite assembly (which probably would have been quite a pain to do). The pause screen reads some of the same sprite assembly, so I'll have to tweak some code to get everything positioned correctly again for that; should be an easy fix.
-->

I like what you're doing, but I don't believe Alia Dialogue needs to be disabled that does not give the player a option if they wish to do so or not since that seems more of a personal preference than a flaw. At least make a option rather than a absolute, you will have players that do want the story-aspect of the game to be intact. Hopefully keep this in mind for two different patches which disables, but not the other.

I've seen you & Thanatos over at Sprites.Inc, nice to see you all again.
Nice to see you too! I was wondering if that was you. :)

The final goal is to make them optional, either like in X6 with a notification icon + sound or an on/off toggle in the option menu. Until I get that coded in though, I simply have them disabled.

BTW, Dark, any clue as to how the difficulties work? By this I mean, how are changes to bosses going to work on each difficulty? like is there a separate table for each boss in regards to how much damage they do, how much damage they take per difficulty? or is there just a multiplier flag that gets activated per difficulty?
Another thing, are parts possible to obtain on Easy now? Boss levels don't change on Easy so you can't obtain them on that difficulty.
I haven't gotten that far yet, there's still a lot of research to be done as far as how the game functions. I'm also still planning a lot of things out for how the game will function once I finish hacking it.

----------------------------------------

I'm glad to see people are excited for this hack, it's always encouraging to see that.