News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]  (Read 22069 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2017, 09:12:19 pm »
original:

edited:

I hope I got the color range right. I used the method mentioned here to extract a screenshot in native resolution directly from buffer, then I indexed the color pallete in Photoshop

As I mentioned before (by my old username, azulo), I was trying to 'undub' the intro video, putting the original japanese song on the american video (so it says "Mega Man" instead of "Rockman"). However, I officialy give up. I had no trouble extracting an uncompressed AVI for the video and an uncompressed WAV for the song, I even managed to convert the song into XA format, but when trying to convert the AVI to STR and then merging it with the audio, the resulting STR isn't recognized by any STR player as a valid file. I'm not sure if there's something wrong with the tools I'm using (maybe they aren't fully compatible with Windows 10 x64?), or with the attributes I set (I think I tried everything though)
If anyone wants to give it a go, I uploaded all the raw sorce files and tools here, and here is the method I followed.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 09:30:54 pm by acediez »

johnm

• The Idea man
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 28, 2017, 02:18:43 pm »
Can you add the other screenshots found here: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X5 in the native resolution, so that they can later be added to the game. Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:27:40 pm by johnm »

gw3nzon

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 22, 2017, 03:03:45 pm »
Hi! awesome job!! go any demo of the game?? ty

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2017, 07:50:30 pm »
I haven't worked on this project for awhile, so in the meantime I guess I'll release a beta build for everyone to try out.

[DOWNLOAD] (Please see the readme for patching information & changelog).
I tend to bounce back-and-forth between projects, so I'll get back to this one eventually... :crazy:

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2017, 09:29:34 pm »
Awesome thanks

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2017, 11:10:06 am »
Version 0.01
- First public build
- Alia's hints are permanetly disabled
- Keep both character bonuses regardles of which is choosen

- Each Heart Tank/Life-Up Part affect both X & Zero
- Save/Load menu was given a redesign
- Fixed the 'injured' sprites for X & Zero
Well that already covers everything I was begging for a year ago on the ideas thread, so I'm already tremendously grateful and happy!!   :woot!:
I'm not exaggerating saying that this is my favourite thing to come out of the romhacking community when it comes to game improvements. Even if it's just a tweak, it's something I wanted to have from the first day I played this game.

Then again, now that I know your other ideas for this project (the revamped skill system, specially), I have even more to look forward to! :beer:

Good luck on whatever you're working on at the moment!

gledson999

• View Profile
    • Canal Retro Jogos
« Reply #146 on: April 01, 2017, 01:23:37 pm »
I tested this improvement, finished the game both X and Zero and this release has no bug and no glitch, so let's wait for next release with obtainable 16 parts  :woot!:

Aeth-r

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 08, 2017, 03:51:08 pm »
This is really cool! I'm very interested in how you edited/corrected the sprites. I'm trying to do a little visual project of my own involving sprite modification but I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, would it be possible to do something like a "speedrun" mode where cutscenes and dialogue are automatically skipped and there is no saving?

Desstrox

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2017, 01:16:51 pm »
Really cool! Thanks for this :) :) :)

AlberichGamer

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 27, 2017, 02:07:50 am »
DarkSamus993, since you're so open to suggestions, I will make some:

1) Balance out X and Zero's strength: For some reason, Zero is way too powerful in X5 and X6. Please, look at the damage chart from X4 and X5:

X5 X: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X5_Damage_Data_Chart_(X)
X5 Zero: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X5_Damage_Data_Chart_(Zero)
X4 X: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X4_Damage_Data_Chart_(X)
X4 Zero: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_X4_Damage_Data_Chart_(Zero)

I always found ridiculous how Zero's mid-air slash is stronger than the Plasma Shot. I know Zero has less defense than X, but his attacks are so fast that he deals more damage than X anyway.

Using Grizzly Slash damage chart as an example, I think you should balance this way:

X buster: 1:2:4
Zero saber: 1:2:4:4:2:3 (his Z-Buster should be balanced too)

2) Remake some dumb decisions made in the Tidal Whale stage: For consistency, the same brick that is destroyed by the E-blade from Zero should also be destroyed by the Tri-Thunder from X.
The switch responsible for destroying the wood that prevents you to enter the Light Capsule should be destroyed by other weapons that can reach it (like the charged version of tri-thunder). It is such an unnecessary backtrack to play the Tidal Whale's stage all over again just to destroy that dumb switch with the weapon that you get from him.

3) Remove the checkpoints when the player gets a game over: Some people already suggested this, but I don't think you answered if you intend to do it.

June 01, 2017, 12:28:45 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I also have a recommendation regarding Alia's texts. I think it would be better if you leave all of her texts in the "training" mode where you fight Magma Dragoon. For the "campaign" mode, I think it would be better to leave her initial texts of the stages, just for the sake of knowing what's the mission is about.

The problem with Alia in X5 is more about how useless her information usually is, but it is fine when she is telling how to play the game in the training mode or when she tells what's the purpose of mission in the stages. I don't know if people agrees with me on this, but it might be interesting to keep some of the Alia texts. She's the navigator after all.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:28:45 pm by AlberichGamer »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 19, 2017, 03:40:43 am »
Yeah, just keep Alia's plot-related dialogue and stuff like that. I'll check how much can be cut from her lines...

deathXphantom

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 26, 2017, 11:09:39 pm »
jeez you make my dream real, the game without ALLIA thanks <3 and how is going the project?

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2017, 12:48:59 am »
Well, I checked Alia's lines in the script, and 99% of the time the only dialogue worth keeping is at the start of the stages (with several possibilities depending on your progress through the game) or outside the stages.

Is it possible to make Skiver/Pegacion's lifebar have an R (for Repliforce) in his lifebar? That'd fit the story better, though it's only one boss.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2017, 05:49:12 pm »
Well, I checked Alia's lines in the script, and 99% of the time the only dialogue worth keeping is at the start of the stages (with several possibilities depending on your progress through the game) or outside the stages.

Is it possible to make Skiver/Pegacion's lifebar have an R (for Repliforce) in his lifebar? That'd fit the story better, though it's only one boss.

Mattrex is also Repliforce. As is Axle/Rosered (to an extent).

Speaking of Skiver, the dialogue for his stage (on the boss briefings and the stage results screen) constantly mentions the "Reploid Air Force", which is definitely a mistranslation of Repliforce. Something that should be fixed.

Kaizer01

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2017, 03:48:02 am »
While I haven't tried it by itself, when I tried replacing a couple of tracks with their Beta counterparts (with jpsxdec), it worked until I got about 5 Life Ups or so, then when I died after that X couldn't be controlled at all. I'm guessing this is related to my tinkering with it, not the patch's fault.

Edit: Got to the same issue with a cleanly patched .bin. I wonder what I'm doing wrong, since another member said they didn't get any bugs\glitches.

Also, I would love to help with this project, but I have no idea how to work with this game's files.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 05:44:39 am by Kaizer01 »

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 22, 2017, 01:40:13 pm »
The version that was just released is it the same as the one that you released in this topic a few months ago or has anything new been done?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 22, 2017, 01:57:24 pm »
The version that was just released is it the same as the one that you released in this topic a few months ago or has anything new been done?
It's the same patch, I haven't done anything significant since to warrant a new beta release.

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 22, 2017, 03:25:16 pm »
Ok thanks

Crossman

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:03 pm »
Hello there! (I'm spanish please forgive my trash english) I just found out this project and i'm already in love with what you are doing! The Beta feels so much better   ;D Please keep the good work!

And this my small Sugestion c:

I have been a X4 Player for the longes time since it was one of my first game ever, and i noticed something about the Force/Ultimate Armor Buster once i moved to X5. The Plasma Charge Shot spheres damage has been gutted, or better say flat out removed, they no longer deal damage over time to Bosses or Sub Bosses for no reason! and this is very annyoing. My Suggestion is to bring it back to its former glory, that is to deal 1 damage every 2 hits of the ball i belive.  :angel: