News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project [PSX]  (Read 22258 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project
« Reply #100 on: November 09, 2016, 06:34:48 am »
Haha, that sure would work!

What about McWhalen's stage music?

ThegreatBen

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2016, 07:30:28 am »
I personally liked the bubble crab remix

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2016, 07:43:15 am »
It's a rehash. Even if it's better, it makes the stage look not unique. EVERY Mega Man Stage EVER has unique music.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #103 on: November 09, 2016, 11:50:55 am »
I don't mind it, and I don't see why people think it's such a major issue.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 09, 2016, 11:54:00 am »
You're no true Mega man fan ;D

The beta song is better to me as well.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2016, 12:11:05 pm »
It's a rehash. Even if it's better, it makes the stage look not unique. EVERY Mega Man Stage EVER has unique music.
Not true. Megaman X1 intro stage music AND the actual stage has been reused a few times. Bubble Crab was always one of my favorites anyways though I will admit I didn't listen to this other track. Still it's a total lie to say no megaman game remixes or reuses old themes/stages.  A true megaman fan would know that :P

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »
Which of the MAIN stage themes are reused?

Intro stage isn't a main stage. It's just a tutorial.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2016, 12:16:18 pm »
In what way is it a tutorial? There's no text at all telling you how to play and you emphasized EVERY stage,  not just main stages. Will edit this reply later to add more going to work.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2016, 12:19:48 pm »
Well, that was because I thought EVERY stage had unique music (except for some Wily stages).

You proved me wrong on that, but I was actually referring to the main stages.

Highway clearly is an Intro stage, and seems to act as a tutorial.

Magma Dragoon

• Every day is night
    • View Profile
    • My Hideout
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2016, 11:11:32 am »
Gate's Lab in X6 is also a remix of Counter Hunter Stage 2 from X2.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2016, 11:45:17 am »
Final stage.

You're all naming stages that aren't unique to begin with.
All main stages clearly were intended to have completely unique gimmicks. The final stages often re-use these anyway.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2016, 06:19:15 pm »
I've managed to locate one snippet of code that controls part of Duff McWhalen stage's scrolling speed. Unfortunately, it only controls this first section here:

=>
(Probably too fast, but I just wanted to show off that the speed can indeed be adjusted.)

The different sections of the stage must use different code to set the scroll speed, but at least I know I'll be able to speed things up as needed.

Atrushan

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2016, 07:42:52 pm »
Final stage.

You're all naming stages that aren't unique to begin with.
All main stages clearly were intended to have completely unique gimmicks. The final stages often re-use these anyway.

If the main stages were meant to have unique theme songs, explain Duff's stage to begin with. If they already had another track for it, why re-use Bubble Crab's music? In addition, the final stage of X5 reuses Quick Man's theme as well. I'm sure there are others I just can't think of them, also forgot about the whole editing my post thing later as I had a long day at work, but yeah, there are more themes reused. Also just listened to the original Duff McWhalen theme song and it sounds very boring, slow, and repetetive. There's no music at all and to me it doesn't fit as a Megaman X song, since those are usually more lively. The final stage thing you're using honestly just sounds like a copout since I disproved the original point imo, but there, they reused Quick Man's theme, so I disproved that too. Happy?

I've managed to locate one snippet of code that controls part of Duff McWhalen stage's scrolling speed. Unfortunately, it only controls this first section here:

=>
(Probably too fast, but I just wanted to show off that the speed can indeed be adjusted.)

The different sections of the stage must use different code to set the scroll speed, but at least I know I'll be able to speed things up as needed.
So we're looking at a more difficult Duff McWhalen stage? Sounds interesting.

It's a shame you can't do this. Is it possible to re-do the teleport in scenes when starting a stage when changing characters in order to change them? I don't know anything about actual hacking but if you could sort of redo the exit stage action for the character you're using and maybe call the character in with the original action, maybe that'd work?
As far as the game is concerned, it seems like it might be feasible (my skills on the other hand...)

The game has 2 values it checks in the active player table in RAM. The first values determines if you are X or Zero, and the second determines what armor is currently being used. Really the main issue is the need to swap out graphics (player graphics are compressed and stored in RAM, everything else gets put into VRAM during level loading).

In order from left to right: X swapped to Zero, Zero swapped to X, and X swapped to Forth Armor and then Ultimate Armor.
Spoiler:

Edit:Weird, it didn't add what I typed. Anyways I was asking if it'd be possible to sort of queue the exit behavior of the character you're using and then queue the intro behavior (like when starting a stage) for the character you wanted to use. I dunno anything about hacking but just wondering if that'd be possible.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 10:16:58 pm by Atrushan »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:09 pm »
No, I just forgot to tell that final stages more often reuse themes and design from earlier stages. For me, the regular stages are where the games shine! :P
Most final stages are robotic fortresses anyway. Uniqueness is far away in these stages.

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2016, 02:26:03 am »
DarkSamus993, have you ever done any NES hacking?  And if so, do you find PlayStation hacking to be easier?

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2016, 03:59:54 am »
PSX hacking, while having a bit more of complexity due to the way more powerful hardware, doesn't really stray away that much from any generic kind of hacking. You still get the same problem solving issues to face, it's only the approach to some details that changes, like the fact that you're working with actual files and generally more bloatedness related to working with slow access speed in comparison to carts.

tl;dr: it can be easier in most regards, while some other scopes require a slightly different approach.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2016, 08:11:44 am »
I think the best idea is to release a version of X5 with the beta Makkoeen song, and the Bubble Crab version.

The fact that I have to call it 'Bubble Crab version' already gives me the feeling it's just lazy.

futuretime23

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:37 pm »
I think the best idea is to release a version of X5 with the beta Makkoeen song, and the Bubble Crab version.

The fact that I have to call it 'Bubble Crab version' already gives me the feeling it's just lazy.
why not just simply add a setting to the options menu that switches the ost to the beta one? if it doesn't take too much space on the disc, it's possible to add the entire beta ost.
otherwise, add a button check when the stage start screen (the one where the maverick is announced), for example, if player 1 is holding X on the controller, select the other song.
If he isn't, don't. something like that.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 13, 2016, 06:37:07 pm »
Hmm, if that works, no problem.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 13, 2016, 09:54:00 pm »
Quickman's theme? Are you talking about the Cyber Maze Core?

They really sound nothing alike honestly.