News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Recording footage from an Adobe Flash Player game.  (Read 2736 times)

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Recording footage from an Adobe Flash Player game.
« on: November 26, 2016, 05:45:46 am »
I have an old "unofficial" copy of Fraps, and that didn't work.

I know that Microsoft Expression Encoder can record, but it records the entire fucking desktop.

I tried OBS, and it has a similar problem: records more than the game window area, resulting in a movie with a resolution that doesn't match the game.

How do I record an Adobe Flash Player game that only records the game, and only outputs the file in the same resolution the game is running in?

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
Re: Recording footage from an Adobe Flash Player game.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 09:21:33 am »
you could open the game in a "full screen" mode, if possible. Just save the FLV to your computer and launch it in some program that allows full screen. its an ass backwards way to do it, but it might get the job done.

Mugi

• Personal text
    • View Profile
    • Blacklabel-translations
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 10:46:17 am »
i would propably just record with one of those things that records the entire desktop and just crop the video afterwards.
but that's just me i guess. :P

icecream recorder is an OK one as far as capturing random areas of the screen is concerned, but it's not free.
In PSP we trust.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 11:54:21 am »
Last time I needed something like that, I used BB Flashback Express.  I was entirely happy with the results.

But yes, opening the FLV in Media Player Classic might be useful.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 11:02:36 pm »
Thanks for the info, Jorpho. BB Flashback Express almost did what I need, but it still records the window bars, menus, etc. of Adobe Flash Player instead of just the game inside the window. I looked over the menus and can't seem to find an option that does just that. Unless I am missing something? I pretty much need something that functions like Fraps, but for Adobe Flash Player.

Also, can I record and have the recording software not capture the mouse cursor, like in OBS?

As for OBS, in this video, that guy can set the position and size of the Sub-Region (no, that is not "what she said") by right clicking on the source and going to Properties. But I am using the latest OBS and that menu does not come up when I right click on a source and select Properties. Again, what am I overlooking?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 11:08:25 pm by NERV Agent »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 12:06:36 pm »
When BB Flashback Express asks you to select a window to record, you should be able to just waggle the mouse cursor over the main window and capture it without the borders and menu bars.  If this is not possible with Adobe Flash Player, then as I said, it might be worth trying with a different player.  Or you can set it to record a specific region and keep the window in that particular region.

If all else fails, it should be easy to crop out the stuff you don't want using VirtualDub.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Ghost-Tank

• View Profile
    • Castlevania: Fjording of the Abyss
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 05:14:35 pm »
In OBS, I just go to settings, video, and set the right custom pixels.  Then preview stream before I record a vid.  Turns out pretty nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuCqxz2I5E&t=30s
But ZSNES used here just happens not to show standard window bars.

You can use Tencoder to convert the .flv to a format more video editors can read but so far I get a pretty bad quality downgrade.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 05:20:12 pm by Ghost-Tank »

TheFireRed

• Restricted Access
  • Fall of Fall
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 06:32:28 pm »
As Ghost-Tank said, go to the Video Settings and select the correct output resolution. And if you also want to crop unwanted portions from the window capture, just add a Crop filter and fine-tune your selection. You can also use the Alt key and click+drag to select the desired area. Lastly just resize the picture to the whole video frame.  :) I would recommend VidCoder as your go-to encoding software. It's free, open source and uses updated codecs.

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 09:30:21 pm »
When BB Flashback Express asks you to select a window to record, you should be able to just waggle the mouse cursor over the main window and capture it without the borders and menu bars.  If this is not possible with Adobe Flash Player, then as I said, it might be worth trying with a different player.  Or you can set it to record a specific region and keep the window in that particular region.

I just tried what you said, and it was the same result as before. It seems this is not possible with Adobe Flash Player.

As Ghost-Tank said, go to the Video Settings and select the correct output resolution. And if you also want to crop unwanted portions from the window capture, just add a Crop filter and fine-tune your selection. You can also use the Alt key and click+drag to select the desired area. Lastly just resize the picture to the whole video frame.  :) I would recommend VidCoder as your go-to encoding software. It's free, open source and uses updated codecs.

Thanks for the input, because you helped me figure this out!

To solve this problem, both the Base (Canvas) and Output (Scaled) Resolutions should match.

So if the game is 640x480, you would need to input 640x480 into both fields and it should work.