News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Thousand-Year Door+ now available!  (Read 3210 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Thousand-Year Door+ now available!
« on: September 22, 2016, 06:48:22 am »

Update By: Griscuit

TTYD+, this site's first Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door hack, is now available for download!
This mod tweaks dialogue and textures throughout the game to bring things closer to the Japanese release, fixes various oversights from the English localization, and much more! Check out the project's page for more details.

Tremendous thanks to the folks at Games Repainted for discovering the tools used to mod this game.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Thousand-Year Door+ now available!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 11:28:44 am »
I missed the time when Paper Mario had helper characters like Koops and Goombella. Now it's just Mario and Luigi. Bo-ring!

Spinner 8

• Pink Pretty Princess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 05:03:17 pm »
Didn't want to make a new thread on this or flag it yet...

Since the textures in this patch require Dolphin, would it be considered non-compliant? Or would some kind of clarification in the game/translation review be sufficient?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 05:09:38 pm »

Since the textures in this patch require Dolphin, would it be considered non-compliant? Or would some kind of clarification in the game/translation review be sufficient?
I'm not sure.  The textual part of the hack itself is playable outside of emulation, and there is a text only version.  Only certain parts of it require the textures.

I think this falls under hacks that have things certain emus can do with them, like crazy old SMW hacks' music (also Flames of Eternity) and ZSNES.

Griscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 10:36:16 pm »

My apologies! I didn't realize it went against the rules. For what it's worth, most of the changes in this hack are dialogue-based - the new textures only effect a handful of enemies and items.

If need be, I can add a notice on the hack's page specifying this.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 05:56:30 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:27:57 pm by FCandChill »

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 08:44:33 am »
Are you planning to update the de-localization patch that would restore the bunny ears for the female boos, give TEC it's original red colored eye, restore the Japanese wrestling magazine cover and restore the Toad-shaped chalk outline with a puddle of blood in the back-alley house?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:38:11 am by SCD »

Griscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 11:26:29 am »
Believe me, I tried to do all that. I couldn't get the bunny ears to look right, because their texture has different dimensions than the cat ears. As a consolation, I made a new Tattle for the shopkeeper Boo that references the bunny ears.

The chalk outline was a similar situation. The localization team didn't just replace the texture for that, they outright removed it from the game. I can't exactly reskin a texture when the texture I want to replace isn't there :p
Like with the bunny ears, I added a bit of dialogue referencing the deceased Toad. Talk to the shady Bandit after beating the Shadow Queen to see it.

I tried finding a way to give TEC his red eye, but the eye doesn't seem to be a texture - its color is hard-coded into his model.

I tossed around the idea of replacing the wrestling mag, but decided against it, as the only difference is the Japanese text was replaced with vaguely cursive-looking text. Seems a bit silly restoring cosmetic Japanese text when all the other text has been translated.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 11:56:47 am »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:28:08 pm by FCandChill »

Griscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:06 pm »
I wouldn't even know where to begin with that, haha ^^'
I don't really know code or anything, I just used the tools the Games Repainted guys used to make their TTYD Repainted hack.

Modding TTYD's text is actually crazy easy. All the dialogue is stored in plain, unencrypted .txt files. Frankly, I'm surprised there haven't been more TTYD romhacks, with how simple it is to edit.

If any tech-savvy types know how to muck around with the game's models, I'd be thrilled to let them make additions to this mod.

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2016, 01:40:47 pm »
If you're having problems trying to restore the rest of the content that got censored in the American version for your de-localization patch, you should put a ad in the Help Wanted Ads section asking for someone to help you on restoring the rest of the content for your patch.

Imaynotbehere4long

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 09:27:45 pm »
I'm curious: is it possible for some of the textures to be changed natively rather than through Dolphin (even if it means lower quality textures)? I ask because the game lags at certain parts on my computer, meaning I can only really play it on modded hardware.

If not, I want to make sure that there won't be any adverse effects using the complete mod without the new textures.