News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Paperboy [NES] Text Editing: Question  (Read 1529 times)

Melasauce

• View Profile
Paperboy [NES] Text Editing: Question
« on: September 17, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
Hello,
I'm currently making a Paperboy NES romhack and this happened... When I wanted to edit titles of the newspaper articles, I couldn't find them anywhere in the FCEUX's Hex Editor. Is there any other way to edit them?

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Paperboy [NES] Text Editing: Question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 02:16:02 pm »
Looking at the PPU viewer, it seems as though the game has two different fonts.  The normal one used for "AMAZING PAPERBOY DELIVERS!" and probably other in-game text, and a secondary one used for the article titles.

The secondary font seems to be scattered and incomplete.  That is, it only has like 2/3 of the alphabet.

In any event, as long as you don't need any of the missing letters, all it should take to be able to edit it is a separate table file.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:41:59 am »
Looking at the PPU viewer, it seems as though the game has two different fonts.  The normal one used for "AMAZING PAPERBOY DELIVERS!" and probably other in-game text, and a secondary one used for the article titles.

The secondary font seems to be scattered and incomplete.  That is, it only has like 2/3 of the alphabet.

In any event, as long as you don't need any of the missing letters, all it should take to be able to edit it is a separate table file.

I count 22 of 26 letters represented in those article titles -- only Q, W, X, and Z are missing -- so that secondary font ought to have more than 2/3 of the alphabet, no?

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 12:53:40 am »
I count 22 of 26 letters represented in those article titles -- only Q, W, X, and Z are missing -- so that secondary font ought to have more than 2/3 of the alphabet, no?

I stand corrected.

I didn't count them.  At a glance, it looked like 2/3