News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Breath of Fire 2 (Yes, it has been ages)  (Read 3659 times)

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
Breath of Fire 2 (Yes, it has been ages)
« on: September 15, 2016, 03:33:29 pm »
So, I recently started to re-play the game on Snes9x because, well, I want to do an enhancement for the game once and for all, and currently using the retranslation hack (normal game is far too broken with the Engrish and lack of dash feature).  Nevertheless, the one thing that breaks the game for me later on is that darker battle theme, I don't like it, I want to change it so it keeps the normal battle theme throughout the entire game up till the last boss.  I know for a fact that an NPC triggers it on Tunlan (Tuneland), who mentions to the party that they need to get a flute in order to speak the townspeople's language. That very NPC triggers an event that switches from battle theme 1 to battle theme 2. What offsets and what bytes are being changed, I have yet to find out, but I do know that's what's happening. I am almost to that point in the game where that NPC triggers that event change, the question is, where do I even begin to look with programs like HxD? Do I need to know pure ASM in order to find the address or addresses that change the music?

I am nearing the event that gets triggered in BOF2 and once I do, I will upload the SRM and save states if need be, just so I can hopefully understand what I need to look for and what to change.

Also on the same vein, well, kind of, how was the dash feature implemented into this ROM hack?  Could the same kind of hack be done in Breath of Fire? Adding a faster walking speed so Ryu doesn't take a million years to get from point A to point B?

:D

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Breath of Fire 2 (Yes, it has been ages)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »
Getting a before and after as close to the event as possible, should be possible to compare them and they should only have a few differences.
(aside from the event flag, the checksum and also time played)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:20:54 pm »
Getting a before and after as close to the event as possible, should be possible to compare them and they should only have a few differences.
(aside from the event flag, the checksum and also time played)

Sounds like a plan, getting quite close as there's only one more thing to do before I get to the particular NPC in Tuneland (called Melodia in retranslation). Do I need the SRM itself or both
the save state and SRM file?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 10:13:13 pm »
Just before and after SRAM files.

Then it would be possible to find the differences and narrow them down with a tracing emulator.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 10:32:30 pm »
Just before and after SRAM files.

Then it would be possible to find the differences and narrow them down with a tracing emulator.

Would I need to make two SRM files? I get to the town where the NPC changes (right outside), and then rename the first file. On the save, go to the town, activate the event switch, and name the SRM accordingly? As for tracing, I assume I'd use Snes9x/Higan, maybe BizHawk to trace the addresses. Will keep you posted, gonna get to this part in the game as soon as I can.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 12:38:02 am »
Yes, two SRAM files, so that a file comparison program can be used (even the simple DOS "fc"). Save right before the event, then close the emulator (to make sure its saved) and copy the SRM somewhere else (and probably rename it). Then activate the event, save and copy that file too.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 03:21:14 pm »
Yes, two SRAM files, so that a file comparison program can be used (even the simple DOS "fc"). Save right before the event, then close the emulator (to make sure its saved) and copy the SRM somewhere else (and probably rename it). Then activate the event, save and copy that file too.

Disclaimer, I am using the retranslation patch of the game, using this hack here http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1384/
I can't stand the horrible Engrish translation and lack of dash, so I use version instead, hopefully this doesn't affect searching for the culprit in any way.

I've pinpointed the exact location on where it occurs. After you get Spar (in this version, Aspara, as it's closer to the Japanese names), and where you speak to the Wise Tree. Before
going to speak to him about getting the Therapy Pillow from Tunland, the battle music is normal.

Here is the save just north of the Sea of Trees, you'll need Jean/Tepata to get past the rivers and then just south is the big tree -
(Battle theme has not changed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1i3usEfPbYrZ01HeDJMY2dPWTA/view?usp=sharing

Here is the save at the same location, but after speaking with the Wise Tree in the sea of trees
(Battle theme has changed)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1i3usEfPbYrS005YVFaN2tGRVE/view?usp=sharing

Visual reference

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 02:35:15 pm »
Code: [Select]
$C0/BE5E AD 8C 0C    LDA $0C8C  [$81:0C8C]   A:0000 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIZC
$C0/BE61 C9 05       CMP #$05                A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC
$C0/BE63 90 04       BCC $04    [$BE69]      A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC
$C0/BE65 A9 35       LDA #$35                A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC

This is where it changes the battle music.

I believe it's checking a certain story flag and checks if it's <= 05, if not then it loads A9 35 (Which is battle theme #2), otherwise, it loads 33 (Battle Theme #1).

So basically if you want to change the music back just change the A9 35 to A9 33 and you're good to go!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 03:19:54 pm by justin3009 »
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 07:42:41 pm »
Code: [Select]
$C0/BE5E AD 8C 0C    LDA $0C8C  [$81:0C8C]   A:0000 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIZC
$C0/BE61 C9 05       CMP #$05                A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC
$C0/BE63 90 04       BCC $04    [$BE69]      A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC
$C0/BE65 A9 35       LDA #$35                A:0009 X:0140 Y:0021 P:envMxdIzC

This is where it changes the battle music.

I believe it's checking a certain story flag and checks if it's <= 05, if not then it loads A9 35 (Which is battle theme #2), otherwise, it loads 33 (Battle Theme #1).

So basically if you want to change the music back just change the A9 35 to A9 33 and you're good to go!

Uh, what program do I need to change these, what offset(s) do I go to? And this is in the ROM, right? This won't adversely affect the SRM file, I can just load it like normal? I really don't know how to change these unless I know what offsets these are at with HxD. Sorry  :D

I just want to know what program you used, the offset/addresses, etc XD

*Sigh* I have no idea what you used, where to find this, or what to change, I'm not good at this stuff, at all, but if only I can get an offset...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:52:26 pm by nintendo_nerd85 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2016, 07:54:28 pm »
I used Geiger's SNES9X Debugger and C0BE5E is the offset

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2016, 07:55:19 pm »
I used Geiger's SNES9X Debugger and C0BE5E is the offset

Do I need to use that particular program or can I use another program to make the change? Do I load the ROM, and once it gets past that part, I change it back? Ugh, sorry for being a noob.

I don't even know how to change any of the values -_-

I have no idea how to use this, yes, it's that bad, I need to know how to look for it, what options to use, how to change it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:03:16 pm by nintendo_nerd85 »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 08:03:52 pm »
You can just use a standard hex editor if needed.  The one I use is Translhextion.

If you use that:

1. Open the ROM file.
2. Press Ctrl + G
3. Type in 'xBE5E' minus the quotes.
4. You should see 'AD 8C 0C C9 05 90 04 A9 35 80 02 A9 33 etc...
5. Change the 'A9 35' to 'A9 33' then File --> Save (Or Ctrl + S)

With that, it should set the battle music to use the first one instead of the second no matter what part of the game you're in. 

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 08:05:32 pm »
You can just use a standard hex editor if needed.  The one I use is Translhextion.

If you use that:

1. Open the ROM file.
2. Press Ctrl + G
3. Type in 'xBE5E' minus the quotes.
4. You should see 'AD 8C 0C C9 05 90 04 A9 35 80 02 A9 33 etc...
5. Change the 'A9 35' to 'A9 33' then File --> Save (Or Ctrl + S)

Okay good, I can do that, as Snes9x debugger keeps on crashing on my end, I am so sorry for bothering you...thank you.
With that, it should set the battle music to use the first one instead of the second no matter what part of the game you're in

Edit: Hmmm, didn't seem to work for some reason....gonna try again.

Edit 2: Oh! My bad, it worked!!! :D Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:12:11 pm by nintendo_nerd85 »