News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: And We're the Game Grumps!  (Read 8022 times)

Josephine Lithius

• Lv. 35 Cutemonger
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
Re: ROM Hacks: And We're the Game Grumps!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2016, 04:00:42 am »
There was a reason for [using the Japanese version]: the "All Courses" menu is an edit of the Japanese version's debug level select, and the Japanese version of the game had several unused courses that were used to accommodate more new stages. (Also, the English versions have no intro sequence!)
Ah.  That makes a lot of sense, in that case.
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 04:55:05 am »
http://revenant1.net/GrumpsDreamCourse.zip

Here's the patch by itself for people who want a smaller download.

There was a reason for that: the "All Courses" menu is an edit of the Japanese version's debug level select, and the Japanese version of the game had several unused courses that were used to accommodate more new stages. (Also, the English versions have no intro sequence!)

Make a patch that's "for" other regions, but essentially patches the ROM to be the Japanese version.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2016, 12:46:58 pm »
You might as well just distribute an entire pre-patched ROM at that point.

GreenBanana

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2016, 01:01:26 pm »
I guess 3.5 million people can be wrong.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2016, 03:28:26 pm »
Make a patch that's "for" other regions, but essentially patches the ROM to be the Japanese version.

After trying the hack I'd be happy with a "Single Player Mode" patch, because from messing around for awhile I see no such option.

Some crazy looking levels from what I've seen though.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Mowse

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2016, 06:30:39 pm »
That aside, the ROM hack looks pretty great.  An alternate download without the bloat of the PDF would be nice though,
I agree! I was actually planning on just having the patch on sites like this and leaving the extraneous stuff elsewhere for those who want more. I made the image guide in case someone wanted to replay a specific level and didn't know where to find it in the level select.

I updated the game due to a freezing bug that happens on one level depending on which enemy becomes the hole. The new 1.01 patch shouldn't include the extra fluff. :P

Also, I am in the process of developing a single player version due to popular demand, but the levels aren't really tailored well to the single player experience. There's a "beta" patch out already at the subreddit, but I'd like to change the requirements for gold/silver/bronze medals to give it proper balance.

treos

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2016, 11:58:12 am »
Looks cool from the pics, but 15mb+ for a Kirby Dream Course hack isn't worth waiting for my caveman internets to download. Any chance there's an alternative download without the .PDF files?

PARTY LIKE IT'S 1998.

what, don't have a download manager? a real one i mean, not firefox's crappy built-in browser one. dumb firefox might let you pause and resume but if your connection is crappy then anything past a certain size will likely timeout and fail regardless of pausing/resuming.

maybe try flashget (not to be confused with the flashgot plugin) or perhaps jdownloader. you can get a virus free copy of jdownloader here: https://jdrch.wordpress.com/2013/10/01/where-to-get-the-full-adware-free-jdownloader-offline-installer/ (something about all of the online installers for it having adware or something...i don't really remember for sure but this copy is safe.)

anyway, use one of those and the download won't timeout or fail unless the link isn't resumable or some other error happens. i happen to have crappy internet myself (unlimited bandwidth but the download speed typically peaks at around 180kb/s in most cases. twice that when downloading from some sites like MEGA with jdownloaders speed limit turned off.) and anything over 200-250MB+ tends to fail on me with firefox no matter how often i pause and resume the dumb download.