News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Games with save importing for sequels  (Read 5108 times)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
Games with save importing for sequels
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:35:53 pm »
Hey I notice the Quest for Glory collection hit steam and it got me thinking of games with save imports from sequel to sequel and the features they bring, so far I have
Quest for glory 1 to 5 (Brings your stats over)
Baldurs gate 1 to 2 (Brings your stats over and opens some side quests)
Suikoden in various forms (Varies from game to game but mostly brings stats over and opens side quests)
Uhhh thats it for me, any more?

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Games with save importing for sequels
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 06:45:06 pm »
Other than mass effect 2 (and 3) which I have yet to get around to playing (played the first, had a good time and despite owning another I have not bothered with it, though the first was a PC thing for me) I am not sure I have bothered to do much here.
The witcher had something but I have still not played more than the pre revamped version of the first.

Some GBA and DS games had some limited unlocks. Megaman Battle Network and Boktai. There is pokemon as well (pal park and the pokebank to go from the GBA to the DS and DS to 3ds respectively, as well as in generational trading and same system stuff).

Are we counting Zelda Oracles?

I think some fighting games had some stuff for customs, however custom characters in fighting games seems somewhat strange to me.

and a quick search landed me on TVtropes so I will link it and run before I end up clicking for hours
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OldSaveBonus

Also as I mentioned clicking for hours http://www.actsofgord.com/

Edit. Can't believe I forgot the Dead Rising 2 paid demo thing that imported into the real deal and potentially gave you a 5 level boost.

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 08:01:35 pm »
The ones I can think of immediately are Golden Sun 1+2, and the AD&D Gold Box Pools series (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness in that order.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if other gold box series did this as well though.

Since Mass Effect was mentioned, it should be pointed out that Dragon Age 2 lets you import some world decisions from a preexisting Dragon Age: Origins save. Also various Assassin's Creed titles have (very minor) unlocks if they notice saves for earlier games in your system memory. Maybe the Trails/Kiseki series as well? Can't confirm that though I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 09:57:53 pm »
Golden Sun is a huge one: it's the only way to get all the dinjin, a secondary party worth a shake of salt, the golden accessories, and stuff only in the first game like the ring that nullifies a cursed equipment's detriment in battle.  Manual password was a six page long bunch of hex but it was worth it.  You even got the party's unused gold.

All the PS1 Armored Core games had this feature enabling you to build whatever you wanted, then using it through three campaigns+the arena.

There's also the Might and Magic games, though those were fairly minor.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 10:11:52 pm »
A lot of the wizardrys had it too if I recall

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 12:26:41 am »
Deep Dungeon II allowed you to load a DD1 save, even though I think all you got at the start was starting at EXP Level 2. :P

It's the only FDS game I know of to allow loading a disk from a different game.
So it's not supported by emulators and I had to copy the two games together to trick emulators into loading it so I could add support for it in the patch.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 01:02:58 am »
It's a nice idea, but not one that is very commonly used, unfortunately. It sure would be nice if more games allowed you to keep all of your equipment and stats into the next game instead of always starting with next to nothing at level 1 like in the Ys series. What happens to all of Adol's equipment anyways? Does he get drunk and lose them all the time, along with his stats?

Anyways, moving along. These are the only games with save importing for sequels that I know of (or at least the only ones that I can think of right now off the top of my head):

- Golden Sun -> Golden Sun 2 (The Lost Age).
- Legend of Zelda (Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages have interchangeable saves).
- Arcania -> Arcania: The Fall of Setarrif.
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 11:04:15 pm »
Borderlands comes to mind, though what it unlocks is rather silly.

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:07 pm »
The ones I can think of immediately are Golden Sun 1+2, and the AD&D Gold Box Pools series (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, and Pools of Darkness in that order.) I wouldn't be at all surprised if other gold box series did this as well though.

Since Mass Effect was mentioned, it should be pointed out that Dragon Age 2 lets you import some world decisions from a preexisting Dragon Age: Origins save. Also various Assassin's Creed titles have (very minor) unlocks if they notice saves for earlier games in your system memory. Maybe the Trails/Kiseki series as well? Can't confirm that though I wouldn't be at all surprised.

TITS FC to SC does but i think it just unlocks a few items if you maxed bracer rank

or you can just download a save ayyyy
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 09:28:32 pm by FCandChill »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 02:24:02 am »
Armored Core in general does this, not just the PS1 games. I think the only ones to skip this are the PS3/X360 ones but I could be wrong.

The Ratchet & Clank series does this on PS2 up until possibly Deadlocked. No idea about later ones.

The Witcher series is very much into this. It's a major selling point, in fact.

Possibly some of the GTA series(I seem to recall the pre-PS2 installments doing this)...

XenoSaga series partakes in this.

Kingdom Hearts: Re:Chain of Memories has shit unlocked if you have a KH2 FM save, IIRC.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:44 am »
A lot of the wizardrys had it too if I recall

Throb of the Demon's Heart are still my favorite. :D
TwitterYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 06:45:04 pm »
These are some games I know of that do this:

Wizardry 1-2-3 on most non-console platforms; in fact, Wizardry 2 and 3 on most computer platforms are entirely unplayable without Wizardry 1 data as you can't create new characters in them
The Bard's Tale (classic) 1-2-3.  Dragon Wars, while not related, can also import and convert data from the three Bard's Tale games.  The first Bard's Tale can also import and convert data from Wizardry 1 or Ultima 3 on some platforms despite them being unrelated.
Might and Magic 1-2
White Knight Chronicles 1-2 is a special case; the sequel came with a remastered version of the first game, and will load data from the first game, but if you never played the first game, you have to play through the remastered version before playing the sequel.
The AD&D Gold Box games were already mentioned, as was Golden Sun 1/2

Gideon Zhi

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2016, 07:20:33 pm »
Ah, right! I'm pretty sure you can import full SRW F save files into SRW F Final. Full stat carryover, plot choices, items, etc. Makes sense since F Final is really just the second half of F. I know you can also import SRW Z2 Hakai-hen into Saisei-hen and SRWZ3 Jigoku-hen into Tengoku-hen for bonuses.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2016, 02:17:18 pm »
Just saw the recent release today SMTIV Apocalypse, it allows you to import SMT IV save data will get few goodies and DDS Card Title.
TwitterYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2016, 02:44:31 pm »
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World for the Wii ... it imports data from the GameCube game.

yeah apparently the PS3 version doesn't, still gonna finish Symphonia a 3rd time before i even touch dawn of the new trainwreck tho
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

stuffgnome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2016, 04:17:04 pm »
yeah apparently the PS3 version doesn't, still gonna finish Symphonia a 3rd time before i even touch dawn of the new trainwreck tho

I recently got a hold of the PS3 compilation disc with Symphonia 1&2 + Graces F on the same disc, I wonder if it imports the save. I wish I had time to test it out but there so many new games coming out in the next few months(The Last Guardian on 10/25 to start) and I am a notoriously slow game player.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:59 pm »
Phantasy Star Generations 2 requires a save of a complete game of Phantasy Star Generations 1 to unlock Nei resurrection.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 07:19:56 pm »

DOTW isn't TOO horrific.. not entirely anyway.  There's some really interesting ideas but the execution is just absolutely terrible.  The battles are a frikin mess as well.  I'm not a fan of the near final boss who CONSTANTLY HEALS HERSELF ALL THE GOD DAMN TIME FOR LIKE 75% OF HER HP AND TANKS LIKE A TRUCK.

For a Tales game, it's far better than Tempest at least.  Though, since it wasn't MEANT to be a tales game originally, that's probably what made it so bad.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'