Hey, now that's interesting!
I was reviewing my alternatives (as a user) and they are pretty limited.
Having XML extensibility for formats descriptions sounds like a very good idea!
A few questions are in order!
- Do you plan to support an image export / import option (with a format of your choice), in case some more advanced drawing tools are required? (Ex: when you edit a title screen, you may want to introduce lighting effects and whatnuts in the pixels.)
- (It looks like it, but to confirm.) Will the tool keep a library of "'file; offset; encoding)" bookmarks, per project, so I can later navigate all graphics in my project regardless of where they physically are? (It's a specific choice when you have small sprites like you show in the screenshot, whether you want a single big bookmark, or a series of them.) And would the user be given the opportunity to name these bookmarks?
- Any plans for TIM / GIM support?
- What about compression?
- (Increasing the wishlist potentially beyond plans) would you consider adding an auto-detect feature, to help when browsing files? By that I mean - creating said bookmarks automatically on a new file, based on a bytes signature the user would define.
- How are files considered as part of the project? Do you plan to have a "pure" file browser in the leftmost window, or does the user add files to that structure?
Regardless of your answers, thanks for putting this together! I feel it will be another of your good presents to the community.