News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the future of the Japanese gaming industry?  (Read 6110 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: What is the future of the Japanese gaming industry?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:54 pm »
I lost interest in majorly published games years ag (I have a hard time separating a product from its marketing) and generally just follow indie, small team or solo projects, especially game jams and the like. I'm always curious in what the indie scene in any non-English speaking community is like. Would love to stumble across a Japanese equivalent to TIG source, etc.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 04:48:16 pm »
Most non English and non commonly known game dev countries is indy by necessity, and at the same time you will seldom be missing out on greatness as most things which make it will probably get a translation.

Also on products and marketing I stopped paying attention to the marketing years ago. Works somewhat better that way.

Afraid I have no suggestions for non English word games, at least if educational, crossword or dictionary "games" are not your thing.

Isao Kronos

• Dog is God, God is Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 11:53:53 pm »
i think the future is low budget english translations in asia to get around the esrb

like with SRW, Gundam Breaker, etc
will hackrom for Red Lobster Cheddar Bay biscuits

HaxorKyo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 12:13:33 am »
So, you played Steel Diver, Dillo's Rolling Western, and Codename S.T.E.A.M., then?  People hate on them for making "soulless rehashes", and then they try something like Federation Force and people go completely bonkers.  What do you expect?

Yes, I have played all of those. None of them struck me as that fun to play.. Don't get me wrong, I fucking love Nintendo. I own every single console they've ever released in the United States.  Thats why I feel so confident in saying theyre not working at full steam. Federation Force is a terrible example to bring up in their defense. Ignoring all nonsense controversy surrounding it, the game itself is mediocre at best.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 12:39:00 am »
It's not the marketing, as in advertising, that bothers me so much, as that's easily avoidable. It's the transparent targeting of demographics  evident in things like artistic direction and content that does.

Games that are as blatantly targeted toward adolescent males as the "Graphic Tees" section of a department store immediately lose my interest. Basically everything DC has put out in terms of comics, games, animation, and film in the last few years  is a prime example.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:33 pm »
i think the future is low budget english translations in asia to get around the esrb

like with SRW, Gundam Breaker, etc

The ESRB is really the least of most companies' worries when it comes to ratings boards, honestly?  My impression is that PEGI and Australia's ratings board are both consistently tougher (and even CERO is getting harsher). 

Case in point: the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 8 isn't censored because it was necessary to maintain a desired ESRB rating.  It was done because it couldn't pass as a CERO A game in 2015-2016.