News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translator looking for projects  (Read 3582 times)

Cristina Alcoya

• View Profile
Translator looking for projects
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:18:35 am »
Hi! I have finished my degree in Translation and Intercultural Communication and I am interested in working in a game translation project. My mother tongue is Spanish and I also have a high level in English and French.

Please, if you are interested let me know in this Forum and I will give to you my contact details. Thanks!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Translator looking for projects
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 09:16:22 am »
There's already some good stuff in the Abandoned section off to the left.  Lots of people would love to see Tomato Adventure finished.

That is, assuming you know Japanese.  Otherwise, I guess you're hoping to translate English games to Spanish or French?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Cristina Alcoya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 11:21:41 am »
Unfortunately, my Japanese is too basic, so my language combination is English, Spanish and French. Anyway, Spanish is one of the most spoken language in the world, so I imagine there are so many gamers deserving to play in that language and that’s why it is not a bad idea to translate games into Spanish. Here in Spain people is not very good at English, for example, many of my friends cannot play their favorite games because they are not good enough at this beautiful language. 

Thanks for your answer!  :)

Sephirous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 02:06:18 pm »
Hmm, I'm hoping someone translates the Puyo Puyo games for the Genesis and Super Nintendo.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 02:24:08 pm »
Maybe you should look at some of the Japanese to English translations on the site and contact the authors if they'd be interested in you translating their work into another language. Not everyone who has translated something in the past is still active, so I'd recommend looking for someone who has been active in the last five years or so. As for myself, I had someone translate a game into Spanish in the past, so I'd be willing to accommodate you if NES and GB games are your thing.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 04:37:35 pm »
How about Ys Seven for PSP? I'll see if I can dump the first script for you to translate, then I'll work on a proof of concept.
Ys Seven has an English version available, even though it's originally a Japanese game.

Cristina Alcoya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 05:03:11 pm »
Maybe you should look at some of the Japanese to English translations on the site and contact the authors if they'd be interested in you translating their work into another language. Not everyone who has translated something in the past is still active, so I'd recommend looking for someone who has been active in the last five years or so. As for myself, I had someone translate a game into Spanish in the past, so I'd be willing to accommodate you if NES and GB games are your thing.

In fact, I have no experience as a games translator, but I have studied a bit of localization at the University and also literature translation, which I consider interesting for games translation. Anyway, I am very interested in translating NES and GB games because I will acquire some experience and I will learn how games translating is. And I will enjoy a lot of course!  If you are interested, please, send me an email to alcoya.cristina@gmail.com
Thank you!

August 25, 2016, 05:23:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
How about Ys Seven for PSP? I'll see if I can dump the first script for you to translate, then I'll work on a proof of concept.
Ys Seven has an English version available, even though it's originally a Japanese game.
I would also be interested in translating Ys Seven for PSP! I have never played Ys saga before, but I have read that it is an amazing game, so I am really exciting! Nevertheless, even though I have studied some localization at the university, I have no real experience as a game translator. Anyway, I would like to be a professional translator and it would be great to gain some experience as well as I enjoy doing what I like!
If you are interested, please send me an email to alcoya.cristina@gmail.com
Thank you!!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 05:23:51 pm by Cristina Alcoya »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 06:15:54 pm »
If you plan to translate dialogues driven games like RPGs, you need to know the game first. Better yet, as with Ys, the series.

I also advocate that you should focus on learning japanese, chinese or korean if you want to get the "big deal" of translations. ;)

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 07:42:24 pm »
Here is the Ys Seven script: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16zFyX1fR3i5S0LXUX7GAhbqJzhDbJOQN9Td-UeunHPQ/edit#gid=1265579844
The first script file that I want you to translate is mp_1301. After that stop and I will develop a proof of concept out of it so we can see if it's really feasible to do the whole thing.

Cristina Alcoya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 05:33:23 am »
If you plan to translate dialogues driven games like RPGs, you need to know the game first. Better yet, as with Ys, the series.

I also advocate that you should focus on learning japanese, chinese or korean if you want to get the "big deal" of translations. ;)

I think I will study Japanese :) oh!! and thanks for your advices I will have them in mind!

August 26, 2016, 05:34:54 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Here is the Ys Seven script: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16zFyX1fR3i5S0LXUX7GAhbqJzhDbJOQN9Td-UeunHPQ/edit#gid=1265579844
The first script file that I want you to translate is mp_1301. After that stop and I will develop a proof of concept out of it so we can see if it's really feasible to do the whole thing.

Ok! I start right now! Thank you!

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:07:09 pm »
I finished the proof of concept for this. PM me if you'd like to go further with this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdS8XIZ0ZBI