News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 6605 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: August 18, 2016, 09:38:08 pm »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:41:59 pm »
The Battletoads hack is seriously amazing.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 12:23:58 am »
I gotta play it! The feature list does sound incredible.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 12:29:58 am »
There's actually a battletoads hack that came out before this that added Jimmy. No character select screen, you had to press a button combination to play as Jimmy. No Billy.

This new hack looks really good tho. These guys make a great team. I wish they didn't have to have green shoes and vest's tho.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 01:34:16 am »
Now that we're starting to see GameCube hacks, I'm going to guess these are going to require downloading "scene" ISOs (which were hacked to massively reduce the size. Pure GameCube (and Wii) ISOs, such as dumped through a Wii with homebrew are a constant huge size (though at least untouched GC ISOs can compress somewhat, Wii cannot it seems).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 01:46:06 am »
Now that we're starting to see GameCube hacks, I'm going to guess these are going to require downloading "scene" ISOs (which were hacked to massively reduce the size. Pure GameCube (and Wii) ISOs, such as dumped through a Wii with homebrew are a constant huge size (though at least untouched GC ISOs can compress somewhat, Wii cannot it seems).

Both Gamecube and Wii games be compressed with Dolphin to the GCZ format. A lot of them compress greatly like Animal Crossing going down to 32MB from 1.4GB.

Bruiserjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:03:09 pm »
Agreed

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 04:25:52 pm »

Well, you can reduce the size of GC and Wii games.

For gamecube you have DM Toolbox or DML Conv (others are not very safe, like Gamecube Iso Tool) that remove the garbage data and give you a working, smaller ISO. They are pretty easy to use.

For example Wario world goes from a full gamecube ISO, 1.35 GB to 260 MB. Depends on the game of course, some are not even worth trimming.

That said, the PAL 60hz hacks (Or the Skies of Arcadia mod) were made to be applied on clean 1:1 ISOS... But the IPS patch also works with trimmed isos (As I tested it, and worked both on Dolphin and on my Wii) as long as they are good dumps, because it doesn't have checksums.

I thought it was easier to find the clean images than finding trimmed games. In fact I went to the RHDN IRC to waste others' time asking several things just to try to be as convenient as I could, lol.

For Wii there's a disc format named WBFS that does pretty much the same, removes unnecessary data, gives you a smaller file.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

UnrealGecko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2016, 12:42:46 am »
Really interested in that Lunar Ball editor and hack, as I'm a pretty big fan of that game... Thank you! :crazy:

noit

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2016, 02:06:27 am »
Really interested in that Lunar Ball editor and hack, as I'm a pretty big fan of that game... Thank you! :crazy:

Thank you! I will probably update the editor soon, there are some rough edges regarding the size in bytes of the levels (If the size of all levels exceeds what the rom originally held I ignore the later levels intentionally on write, so the data is lost), and regarding empty levels (Like when you press the Del key on a level, it corrupts the rom since the game assumes there is at least one thing per type per level). I forgot to put this on the readme file.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 04:39:00 am »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:19:11 am by FCandChill »

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2016, 09:43:07 am »
ROM was doubled in size to 512KB.  This is not completely standard as seen below:
Code: [Select]
7  bit  0
---- ----
xxxM xPPP
   |  |||
   |  +++- Select 32 KB PRG ROM bank for CPU $8000-$FFFF
   +------ Select 1 KB VRAM page for all 4 nametables
Going from 256KB to 512KB means you change the bank bits from xPPP into PPPP, so you could select up to 512KB instead of 256KB.
Many emulators allow a size of 512KB, but the real AxROM board does not have the extra bit to store another bank bit.  You need to change a chip and a few wires to put an expanded AxROM game onto a cartridge.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 09:48:57 am by Dwedit »
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2016, 10:31:52 am »
ROM was doubled in size to 512KB.
Is this about the battletoads hack? What does that mean exactly, that it won't work on the real console?

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2016, 03:23:54 pm »
Dwedit kind of already explained how it can be done on real hardware...
You need to change a chip and a few wires to put an expanded AxROM game onto a cartridge

I'm pretty sure people have done this already, maybe with BNROM (a variant of AxROM).

Edit, oh right... Haunted Halloween 85 is that size.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 03:29:00 pm by dougeff »
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2016, 05:02:38 pm »
Thanks, just wanted to make sure. So it seems some emulators need to be updated. I heard that it doesn't work on virtuanes for example.

Warrax

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 10:10:34 pm »
Battletoads hack crash when I start a game (just before character select screen) on my Everdrive. Runs fine on emulators.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2016, 07:17:19 am »
I guess report that to the people who made the mappers for the everdrive?