News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dynamic Designs has released Sailor Moon Super S: Floating Panic!  (Read 13895 times)

Shiryu

• No Surrender, No Retreat.
    • View Profile
    • Shiryu Music
Post up at Nintendo Life, hope your work gets it's deserved attention. Great work. :thumbsup:

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
I'm gonna also agree on the fact that the font is hard to read, after seeing it in-game. I would recommend bolding it and making the outline thicker.

Edit - A mockup by me.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 08:51:28 am by vivify93 »
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
I'm gonna also agree on the fact that the font is hard to read, after seeing it in-game. I would recommend bolding it and making the outline thicker.

Edit - A mockup by me.

Good point.
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
I also found an untranslated graphic.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Curious, were you able to decipher the compression scheme it used and recompress all the graphics back in?
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

taskforce

• View Profile

Ah, I figured there would be something we missed.  We'll get a new patch out with that soon.  Thanks for the report.

Curious, were you able to decipher the compression scheme it used and recompress all the graphics back in?

Yeah, Bongo` was able to reverse engineer the compression but the compression was pretty poorly written so he replaced the routine with better written code.  We also redid tilemaps when necessary and the onscreen space was available to make more room for graphics.

As for the font guys, when I release the next version of the patch, I'll look into making a more pleasing font.  Though, to make one to my liking might mean dumping the outline in favor of a black drop shadow instead.  We'll see what I can come up with.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 04:15:07 pm by taskforce »

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
Wow, you seriously went all out!  Fantastic job on that!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
I just put Floating Panic on my Wii, and the font looks perfectly readable on a CRT. However, I would still advocate a bolder font just for the sake of making it aesthetically pleasing and having less whitespace around your fixed width font. :) Thank you for the prompt and courteous replies and gracious acceptance of feedback, and good on ya for doing more Sailor Moon translations. Props and kudos! :beer:

There's something like 13 other games in the series across various systems that are still, sadly, in Japanese...

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile

First sight, I thought it says "pa-su" or "pass"; but it actually says "po-zu" or "pause"(?)
Does that appear when pausing? (yeah not have played it yet)

NoOneee

• View Profile
First sight, I thought it says "pa-su" or "pass"; but it actually says "po-zu" or "pause"(?)

Pause is also my guess... it's weird that they decided to use Hiragana and used a tilde instead of the ー.

taskforce

• View Profile

Yeah, its Po~Zu or Pause.  Not the only place they did this in this game.  There were a few other places they did things like this. 

As for the font.  I've tried some other ideas, but they just don't look right in context with the other graphics in the game, so I'm very inclined to leave it as is.  I'm definitely taking everyone's comments seriously, but while leaving the outline it is impossible to bolden the font because of letters like m and w.  And a vwf would require a LOT of assembly code for certain reasons other than the vwf itself.  It is Just not worth it.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 11:58:20 pm by taskforce »

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
it's weird that they decided to use Hiragana and used a tilde instead of the ー.

I can only guess that this was done to show the "cuteness" of the pronunciation.  The tilde is used this way all the time in Korean as well - at least when kids are chatting on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 01:56:15 am by Draken »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
As for the font.  I've tried some other ideas, but they just don't look right in context with the other graphics in the game, so I'm very inclined to leave it as is.  I'm definitely taking everyone's comments seriously, but while leaving the outline it is impossible to bolden the font because of letters like m and w.
Is there any reason you're averse to doing something like this?

I do know, as well as anyone in the modding scene, that sometimes compromises have to be made...

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Post up at Nintendo Life, hope your work gets it's deserved attention. Great work. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Always fun to see your playthroughs and check out the comments. :)

taskforce

• View Profile
Is there any reason you're averse to doing something like this?

I do know, as well as anyone in the modding scene, that sometimes compromises have to be made...

Yeah, IMO the loss of the whitespace between letters makes things even more difficult to read.

I realize that you wouldn't always have loss of whitespace, and I did do it on a couple of larger graphics, but that actually does get harder to read when they would wind up touching.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 03:25:16 am by taskforce »

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs

Don't worry, Dynamic-Designs is not averse to feedback or making changes based on said feedback (/see Galaxy Robo font change)

It's funny.  I find that fonts are one of of the pickiest aspects of fan translations these days.  I guess that's a good thing, though, as it's a relative easy thing to change (as opposed to redoing a script)

taskforce

• View Profile
Yeah, I'm definitely listening and looking at alternatives in game.  It is just that after seeing them in action, they don't help as much as you might think they would, and make things even harder at times to read.  I have one more idea I'm going to look into over the weekend.  We'll see where that goes.  I can't promise a font change in the next release, but I am taking it seriously.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
Alright, I gotcha. :D Like I said, it's perfectly readable on a big ol' CRT, and that's the intended viewing device. So I trust whatever decision you guys make.

taskforce

• View Profile
How do you guys like this?  This is the best compromise I can come up with.  It's more readable than before, isn't quite as strange as bolding only pieces of letters and also doesn't suffer from loss of whitespace like bolding which actually hurt readability.  The only problem is the y and g I had to raise the bottom up 1 pixel from baseline so that they'd have whitespace.  Noticeable but worth it if it reads better.

You'll have to give me a few days to get this new patch out.  It takes time to get this copied into all the graphical hacks.  (A lot of the stuff in this game doesn't use the main font and has to be edited individually.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 06:52:14 pm by taskforce »

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
That's actually really pretty. It looks more like girly handwriting now, it fits the Sailor Moon metafranchise, and it's much more readable to boot. I say go for it. :thumbsup: As a Sailor Moon fan of 21 years, you have my seal of approval. :laugh: