News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tilt and Solar Hacks  (Read 1537 times)

CharlieF

• View Profile
Tilt and Solar Hacks
« on: August 14, 2016, 03:47:17 pm »
Why aren't tilt sensor (Yoshi, WariWare) and solar sensor (Boktai 1, 2, and 3) hacks hosted here?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Tilt and Solar Hacks
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 11:58:41 pm »
That came up most recently in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22254.0 .

They don't allow hacks that make games compatible with emulators. It discourages emulator authors from fixing compatibility. It's a detriment to make emulators more compatible.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 09:37:16 am »
For the solar patches specifically it isn't even an emulator issue due to flashcarts.  I have one such flashcart fix in there myself.  Funny... I thought Boktai 3's translation was on the site but I can't find it.  Anyway, that also had a solar patch in the optional stuff.

Most GBA-only flashcarts either aren't being made anymore or aren't being worked on anymore, so fixes are needed.  However since the solar patches are floating around on Git I see no reason to rush without asking permission or whatever.

EDIT: I actually can't confirm such an emulator rule, can anyone point me to that?  I only see the rule about hacks that work on single emulators, not things that enable playing a game on all emulators.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 02:46:41 am by Chronosplit »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 02:15:12 am »
I was certain that we don't encourage patches that simply work around emulator flaws (like EarthBound Zero: Nesticle had bad emulation, so Demi made a hack that bypassed the error, but caused the anti-piracy check later in the game to fail).

Though I do admit these particular hacks are of an unusual case. Rather exotic features. But I guess the reason behind excluding patches would be to encourage those features to be added to emulators themselves. Do any emulators have special buttons to control the tilt or solar sensor?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 02:34:37 am »
Only one I know of with exclusive support is the mobile emu MyBoy.  I'm unaware of any others.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 09:39:45 am by Chronosplit »