News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to analysis ROM of Megaman exe?  (Read 2030 times)

DEDEDE2

• hello. Thank you. GBA is good!
    • View Profile
How to analysis ROM of Megaman exe?
« on: August 07, 2016, 07:28:26 am »
Hello.
I am studying HACK.and I am studying ARM. because GBA is used ARM.
I don`t know ARM.... What should I do?

Thank you.

I am sorry..
ARM is assembler.

I want to analysis Megaman exe BN.
But Don`t continue..... I Worry.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 08:31:00 am by DEDEDE2 »
THANK YOU! EVERYONE

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: How to analysis ROM of Megaman exe?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 07:35:11 am »
Crystaltile2 + Lz77restructor
Monkeymoore to get the character value table.

dACE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 07:53:55 am »
Hello.
I am studying HACK.and I am studying ARM. because GBA is used ARM.
I don`t know ARM.... What should I do?

Thank you.

Learn ARM?

/dACE

DEDEDE2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 08:32:28 am »
I studying programming launguage. C# C++
But I don‘t know Mechanism of mod GBA ROM.

THANK YOU! EVERYONE

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 10:16:13 am »
If you have no willingless to learn whatsoever there's little chance we'll be able to help at all.

There is no need to hack the code itself, often you can get by just by hacking data in the ROM.

Also the game is called Rockan.exe in japan and Mega Man Battle Network in the west. There's no such thing as a "Megaman.exe" game.

DEDEDE2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 10:31:43 am »
If you have no willingless to learn whatsoever there's little chance we'll be able to help at all.

There is no need to hack the code itself, often you can get by just by hacking data in the ROM.

Also the game is called Rockan.exe in japan and Mega Man Battle Network in the west. There's no such thing as a "Megaman.exe" game.

Thank you for answering my questions.
I want to learn hacking ROM. but I don`t know how.

of cause I like Rockman exe(GBA). because I am studying ARM(Assembler).
The reason I learn ARM(Assembler) is because that I contacted hacker Megaman EXE.
I was taught how to hack by analysisser . but it is hard.....

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:37:43 am by DEDEDE2 »
THANK YOU! EVERYONE

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 03:36:12 pm »
It is hard if you are going to be playing in assembly circles. Many start elsewhere (text, graphics and even audio on the GBA) but you can certainly start there if you want and make some good headway.

Anyway there is no special thing I can tell you like you might for other systems of the time and later -- there is no file system or known pattern of ROM makeup, no magic header that tells you everything you want to know and it is just new enough that you get to see the results of compilers having their fun. Short version is it is all jumbled up in the game compared to unpacking an exe or dll on Windows.
I cover a few things in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14708.0.html

Equally there is a trick to finding the binary for most games. Also in the link above but the general idea is the first byte is a jump, typically to the end of the header, and then the first jump to anything in the 08?????? memory range is the binary in earnest.

I should also say that although the GBA is classic a classic implementation of an ARM processor if you are learning it in the hope you will be able to twist it to a modern ARM processor like those seen in phones it might not be the most useful. It won't hurt but compared to some things you might do it is going to leave a lot of gaps -- the GBA has no multi tasking, a seldom seen elsewhere THUMB mode, no floating point, technically not even a divide, a truly limited amount of memory, not much in the way of APIs or system commands (the BIOS has some good stuff but it is certainly not android style Linux) and a lot of embedded hardware that has since been abstracted but is dominant on the GBA (no 3d for instance, give or take a mode7 a like option). I would love to see more GBA hackers but the way you phrased it sees me want to say that.

DEDEDE2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 10:55:36 am »
It is hard if you are going to be playing in assembly circles. Many start elsewhere (text, graphics and even audio on the GBA) but you can certainly start there if you want and make some good headway.

Anyway there is no special thing I can tell you like you might for other systems of the time and later -- there is no file system or known pattern of ROM makeup, no magic header that tells you everything you want to know and it is just new enough that you get to see the results of compilers having their fun. Short version is it is all jumbled up in the game compared to unpacking an exe or dll on Windows.
I cover a few things in http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14708.0.html

Equally there is a trick to finding the binary for most games. Also in the link above but the general idea is the first byte is a jump, typically to the end of the header, and then the first jump to anything in the 08?????? memory range is the binary in earnest.

I should also say that although the GBA is classic a classic implementation of an ARM processor if you are learning it in the hope you will be able to twist it to a modern ARM processor like those seen in phones it might not be the most useful. It won't hurt but compared to some things you might do it is going to leave a lot of gaps -- the GBA has no multi tasking, a seldom seen elsewhere THUMB mode, no floating point, technically not even a divide, a truly limited amount of memory, not much in the way of APIs or system commands (the BIOS has some good stuff but it is certainly not android style Linux) and a lot of embedded hardware that has since been abstracted but is dominant on the GBA (no 3d for instance, give or take a mode7 a like option). I would love to see more GBA hackers but the way you phrased it sees me want to say that.

Thank you!! I am grateful to you.  I want to know hack. but I don`t know deeply. I continue to hack.
THANK YOU! EVERYONE