News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Monster Tactics  (Read 5035 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Monster Tactics
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:24:20 am »

Update By: Emmy

Monster Tactics is here!  It is a complete overhaul of Final Fantasy Tactics for PSX, with expanded content and increased difficulty.  Monsters have taken over the world, and are now actually dangerous.  Only 2 permanent playable humans are available (Ramza and Agrias), the rest of the characters have been replaced by monsters.

Plot changes are mostly humorous/parody of vanilla FFT.  A lot of these poke fun at the terrible translations in the game, and recurring lines that existed like "She's human, just like me!"

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Monster Tactics
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 10:43:18 am »
I actually submitted this before but it got rejected cause I didn't take the correct screenshots. They needed it at the correct screen ratio and unfiltered, which I think ePSXe is incapable of.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:51:07 am »
Aw yeah, this looks fun!

I actually submitted this before but it got rejected cause I didn't take the correct screenshots. They needed it at the correct screen ratio and unfiltered, which I think ePSXe is incapable of.
Android can take off the filters/shaders and aspect ratio I believe, but a screenshot?  I had to take my crappy one with the tablet's function (this was fine enough though, as it was a text only ordeal).

Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 03:17:39 pm »

When did you try to submit it?

I'm the author, so I'll be updating this when I make new versions.  If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:00:16 pm »
I submitted it 2-3 days ago. I was about to resubmit it and I saw you had submitted it already so I didn't. It's probably better if the author submits it themself anyway cause they can better describe their hack if they want.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 10:54:51 am »
Are monsters actually usable in this one? Just asking.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 11:11:16 am »
From what I understand it stars 2 humans and the rest of the characters are chocobos. The villians are chocobos or other creatures.

Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:41:00 pm »
Monsters are not only usable, but you have to use them.  Don't worry though, they are significantly buffed from their vanilla counterparts.  Monsters gain access to innate r/s/m abilities, class def/mdef/evade/mev, at least 4 moves (some accessible later in the game gain full skillsets!), innate immunities and buffs, etc.  All monster properties are listed in their tooltips.

July 07, 2016, 09:20:32 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I'm not sure if there's 2 Elrics but I got a pm from the one who helped me:  "Also my name starts with a lowercase (sorry, that drives me crazy with my OCD) and it also links me to someone who mods zelda games for some reason, and thats definitely not me :P I mod many games, but Zelda isnt one of them"

Any moderator capable of fixing this for me?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:20:32 am by Emmy »

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 11:25:09 pm »
Playing this for the first time, it has definitely been a lot of fun. Just a few questions:

~ I assume being able to control Guests is intentional, but am I supposed to be able to help myself to their equipment at the end of each battle? Because I certainly do take advantage of lightening their burden, so to speak. :D

~ What is 'Rasp'? There's no tooltips information and just a single mention in the documentation with no description.

~ Was I supposed to be able to one-shot the Goblin King in Chapter 1 with Teta/Alma (forget which) via Holy magic? (999 damage + a physical attack prior).

~ Does all magic do 999 damage? >_> A Wizard in a random battle used ice magic against three of my characters, missing one, killing one while the other luckily absorbed Ice magic.

In any case, thanks for the entertainment.

Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:57:46 am »
Being able to control guests is intentional. :)  I know sometimes people get their stuff via Equip Change, it doesn't really affect things much since money isn't hard to come by and those guys can't get anything that randomly generated units can't.

Rasp is MP poison (1/4 max mp per turn).

Sometimes I've seen lucky rolls with Holy recast procs (most i've seen is 4, which is approximately a .1% chance of happening), other than that no.

What emulator are you running? :o  Attacks shouldn't be doing 999 in ch 1 unless you're very high level (99 or so).  Most spells are (MA+Y)*MA, where Y is a spell power (usually a number between 0-10), a few divide the result of that formula by 2.  Epsxe 2.0 works 100% on this mod, haven't had issues with psX outside of not being able to run at 120 fps and make it look good.  I'm not familiar enough with any other emulator to know if my ASM works on it or not.  I've heard of similar issues happening on some emulators. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:06:05 am by Emmy »

Jarlaxle

• View Profile
    • My Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 04:08:08 am »
Can't say no to freebies; and I'm now expanding my thieving horizons thanks to Steal. Stripped a female Priest rather bare recently before the Sand Rat Cellar battle. >_> Not sure if I'll be putting Everyone Poops to good use though.

Interesting, I did notice my Mind-Flayer losing MP, but my Chocobo lost HP, making me think it was random.

PCSXbox, which is a port of PCSX. The game itself works perfectly, so it's weird that such a thing would occur (monster abilities work properly, including Meteor//etc). Considering I've mostly only faced monsters so far, it's not really a big deal. If I have to use exploits to get around it down the track, so be it. ;) I'm not a big fan of playing console games on my computer, so I'll just persevere. Thanks for your answers!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 08:09:45 am »
Can't you rip off Bannon in FF6 too? That's hilarious. I noticed that guests were controllable. I don't know this game but when I was testing the hack before I was about to submit it I saw that the intro characters were controllable in your hack, while they weren't in the vanilla game. I imagine a human is alot smarter than PS1 AI.

Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 09:27:19 am »
Yeah, I made all guests in the game controllable.  I also removed the "save dummy" conditions that appear in several battles.  This meant that I could make stuff like the Rooftop fight and Yardow hard in an interesting way, and not in a rng-heavy "why does this dummy always rush forward and get herself killed" way.  Humans should be smarter than the ai, but also it's nice to actually be able to do something in the intro battle that affects the outcome of the match instead of just watching ai actions.

I don't remember if you can unequip Banon.  However, guests being unequippable is a result of Equip Change being free and available early, which is something I don't want to change.

Aquillion

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2016, 06:50:09 pm »
Can't you rip off Bannon in FF6 too?
You cannot, sadly.  FF6 only let you rip off people who would eventually be permanent party members (eg. you can take Mog's weapon and shield away during combat in the Moogle battle, but not any of the others.)

Bannon had a Punisher, which you couldn't steal.  I'm not sure why I remember that.  And General Leo, of course, had an Offering.  (Although...  you'd think they'd take it from his corpse?  Did they bury it with him, or did Kefka run off with it?  Hrm.)

RaisinFlan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 09:39:54 pm »
Ok guys. I heard about the "Monster Tactics" rom on Reddit, and since I pumped literally over 1,000+ hours into Final Fantasy Tactics vanilla as a kid, I HAVE to play this rom.

HOWEVER - I am a newb, I know nothing, and am not sure how to go about doing so.
That's where (hopefully) some friendly bruhs come in.

I assume I have to use a PSOne emulator. (Or can I use some other program?) And since there are numerous emulators floating around, do you guys have a particular one to recommend for this specific game?
Is there a way to play it on an Android or PS4? (Prolly a stupid question, I know, but had to ask.)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks guys!

BlackDog61

• View Profile
    • Super Robot Wars A Portable translation thread
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 02:57:53 am »
I assume I have to use a PSOne emulator. (Or can I use some other program?) And since there are numerous emulators floating around, do you guys have a particular one to recommend for this specific game?
I don't know for this specific game but I'd go ePSXe.

Is there a way to play it on an Android or PS4? (Prolly a stupid question, I know, but had to ask.)
PS4: No. That system is locked and you're asking if you can take a home-made game to a commercial system...
Android: I don't know. (To be honest, I was about to say i don't believe Android phones and tablets can take PSX emulation in, from a performance perspective. But they keep improving, so I'm not sure.) There's been a thread about android emulators, maybe you can chek there?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,21093.msg295340.html
-> Wow, this one actually points to a PSX emulator on Android. And ePSXe on Android is a thing!

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20370.msg286284.html
(I haven't read this one.)

Emmy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 10:46:55 am »
The newest version of Epsxe is recommended for this mod. :)  It's known to also work on psX.  I have no idea what other emulators work/don't work, but a few people have reported problems on weird emulators that I personally can't access.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 05:54:07 pm »
Sweet hot mama, I didn't know this hack existed.

Time to see if it'll play on my psp! If so it would be the first PS1 FFT hack I've seen work on it.  :)
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 11:33:41 pm »
Sweet hot mama, I didn't know this hack existed.

Time to see if it'll play on my psp! If so it would be the first PS1 FFT hack I've seen work on it.  :)
If it doesn't, Recommended emus for FFT hacks tend to be ePSXe 2.0 and later or the Mednafen/RetroArch core. pSX was also rec'd before ePSXe hit 2.0, and still is for debugging purposes/toasters.

EDIT: Whoops, didn't see Emmy recommending pSX. :P