News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 95410 times)

JohannGralog

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #400 on: October 09, 2019, 01:29:45 pm »
1) The problems mentioned in this post still remain:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22445.msg380783#msg380783
So that means the Dual Crush images, Death and both Loretta and Stella's portraits still have some problems to be worked on. For Loretta and Stella, perhaps shortening their necks could help, as well as recolouring them in a way in which the heterochromia for their eyes can be better seen in-game (same for their skin tone in their vampire form).

2) All of the portraits for Menus and the mini portraits mentioned in this post aren't implemented yet:
https://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=22445.msg380926#msg380926
Was anything wrong with these?
Siegfried Belmont provided portraits for the menu:
https://www.deviantart.com/inabiuchiha98/art/Jonathan-Morris-Ayami-Kojima-Style-810734470
https://www.deviantart.com/inabiuchiha98/art/Charlotte-Aulin-Ayami-Kojima-Style-810734567

Menu portraits (255 max and 15 max respectively. Didn't know the restrictions)

And the other menu:

(I used the GoS portrait for this Charlotte, it filled the rectangular space better and the muddy quality wasn't an issue at this low resolution and simple palette)

I'll see if I can figure something out for the Dual Crush thing, and then I'll consider the mini portraits.

Edit:

I've quickly converted Death to the 82 colors in your example, but I do find it a rather bizarre constraint. Maybe the developers needed to save space?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:35:57 pm by JohannGralog »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 09, 2019, 02:13:43 pm »
I went ahead and retouched the Death sprites I had so that they appear properly now in-game and without odd pixels here and there.
This is how they ended up:

I wasn't able to use that pale green the original portrait had for the inside of the hood, because there are so few greens of that hue in the palette, but these new portrait does still match the sprite used in-game despite the change of the inner-hood shade.

I feel like the finishing line is almost there, but now let's get into more details:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@starlord14:

The Stella and Loretta portraits you shared work perfectly with the in-game palette, the colours pop-up nicely and they don't clash with the palette in any way.
However, one small thing I'll have to say, is that the image editor you used seems to really blur the image a lot.
The portraits look too blurry in-game. I would suggest perhaps using the original portraits Johann did as the base for how they should look in terms of sharpness. We have to avoid using any kind of blur on the portraits since the DS will further-filter them.

Also, the Dual Crash you sent me still have borked colors in-game.
Since it seems getting those images just right tends to be problematic I went ahead and dumped the palette that the game uses specifically for those two Dual Crash images. Hopefully this can help so that any subsequent mockup uses the correct palette now without having iit be trial and error :P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@JohannGralog:

I decided to not implement those portraits yet in the beta patch because I knew they were going to have issues with the indexed 16-color palette (as mentioned above), so I simply focused on the main big portraits. That's why I didn't include them in the patch.

However, now that you mention it, given how the sprite rips for Grimoire of Souls have been dumped, we could now use those for the Menu, Info screens and the Mini portraits as well, to keep everything within the same consistent artstyle.
Not to undermine Siegfried's drawings for those two, as he is an amazing artist and I still love his drawings for each character he has done, but compared to the rest of the portraits for Jonathan and Charlotte specifically, they do clash in terms of aesthetic look (we are still using his drawings for the other characters in the game though).

Please, do let me know what do you think so we can proceed accordingly.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 09, 2019, 02:19:08 pm »
@JohannGralog:

I decided to not implement those portraits yet in the beta patch because I knew they were going to have issues with the indexed 16-color palette (as mentioned above), so I simply focused on the main big portraits. That's why I didn't include them in the patch.

However, now that you mention it, given how the sprite rips for Grimoire of Souls have been dumped, we could now use those for the Menu, Info screens and the Mini portraits as well, to keep everything within the same consistent artstyle.
Not to undermine Siegfried's drawings for those two, as he is an amazing artist and I still love his drawings for each character he has done, but compared to the rest of the portraits, they do clash in terms of aesthetic look (we are still using his drawings for the other characters in the game though).

Please, do let me know what do you think so we can proceed accordingly.
My monocolor dual crush graphics and the portrait-with-name graphics were already limited to 15 colors. I can redo the portrait-with-name for Jonathan with a Kojima portrait though, now that there are more options, Same for the two menu graphics.

Or is the dual crush palette a fixed palette?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 02:26:36 pm by JohannGralog »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 09, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »
My monocolor dual crush graphics and the portrait-with-name graphics were already limited to 15 colors. I can redo the portrait-with-name for Jonathan with a Kojima portrait though, now that there are more options, Same for the two menu graphics.

Or is the dual crush palette a fixed palette?

I think the portrait-with-name images you shared are okay.
I checked them and they do seem to be fine with the palette those two use.
If it's not too much work, redoing the Jonathan-with-name (blueish) image with the new artwork like you mentioned would be fantastic :)  Same for the Menu portraits so they stay in the same artstyle.

As for the question about the Dual Crush palette, it's fixed/indexed.
Check the two images I posted above, those are the ones used for the Dual Crush sequence, and I have included the palette that it's fixed for those images right below them for easy use.

starlord14

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 17, 2019, 09:38:24 pm »
well, sorry for taking so long, here are the hd portraits of loretta and stella lol. I reduced these with the option: best for reduction

and this I reduced them with the option: preserve hard edges

and these, I don't know which of the two pallets serves best for the dual crash

:P

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #405 on: October 18, 2019, 01:22:30 pm »
@starlord14 those look so much cleaner!

I went ahead and cleaned them up a bit (Loretta's had some odd pixels between her non-vampire and vampire portraits), and also did two more things:

1) I swapped the colours of the vampire sprites to match their original portraits (right eye is blue, left is red)
2) Also modified Stella's eyes colours from green to blue to match her original artwork, and also the 256 colour palette doesn't have many green colours (only like 3 I think, and they are two dark green and only one clear one, so it doesn't give much room for green shades). No biggie here, since her original portrait uses blue eyes instead of green, so the rework I did should be fine.

Here you have the final portraits I retouched for them with the in-game palette:

For the Dual Crash images you shared, sadly they don't work in-game. :/
They end up too borked in colours to be anything pretty to look at.
Did you use the colours I shared a couple posts ago?
The coloured boxes each contain all the 16 colours used in-game, and the ones we are limited to.

Although...
I am thinking about the possibility to maybe change that 16 colour palette to whatever we end up going for.
Maybe some mockups that retain 16-colours would be good, and then I can go ahead and manually hex edit that particular palette to accommodate for the ones we will use.

Only possible downside to this, is that I am not sure if that specific palette is shared with another asset in-game.
If another thing in the game ends up using the same palette, and I change it, that asset itself might end up with garbled colours.
That's the reason why I've been trying to avoid doing the palette change.
But I can give it a try and have people beta test the game just to be sure.

Right now, I think the only remaining assets left to be done are both Dual Crush portraits, and the Menu portraits, and that should be it! :D

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 18, 2019, 01:39:53 pm »
Why do some of the pics have a red eye?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 18, 2019, 01:53:20 pm »
Why do some of the pics have a red eye?

Portrait of Ruin depicts both Loretta and Stella in their vampire forms with pale skin and heterochromia; or in other words, with one eye being a different colour than the other (red and blue).
Spoiler:
Once they are cured of their vampirism, their skin becomes normal and both of their eyes become blue.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 03:48:10 pm by ShadowOne333 »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 18, 2019, 03:59:33 pm »
Ok, I never played this game. Thanks for clearing it up.

starlord14

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 18, 2019, 10:00:45 pm »
well, try with this ShadowOne:

If it does not work, I will use the original palette that you shared, it is that they begin to look very discolored with that palette and I end up using stronger colors again xD   ;) I also believe that the past had 18 and 21 colors, I realized now when indexing them

edit:
also try to have this if it works, the palettes are equally 16 colors

and these are for the infoscreen:

if it doesn't work with that charlotte try with this:    :)

October 19, 2019, 12:39:24 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
sorry i edited this for the correct size of image and transparency  :P

and this
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 12:39:26 am by starlord14 »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 19, 2019, 05:56:25 am »
Been busy with work, haven't been able to work on this as much as I wanted to.

Working in palettes this limited is no fun. My take at the menu portraits.

Of the swap icons, I felt like Richter was one that looked the least like the Kojima artwork, or heck, even the original Rondo of Blood artwork.

I also redid Charlotte, but I'm not sure if it's an improvement over the current one.

I might attempt a Jonathan icon, but I doubt my ability to make him recognizable enough.

Did this Jonathan-with-name, but I'm not sure if the face is clear enough.

----

Those final Stella and Loretta portraits are gonna clash strongly. They have a red edge, noticeable when you change the background color. And Loretta has an additional slight white edge.

Starlord14, I'm not exactly sure what the point is of reducing my 15 color Charlotte-with-name down to 11 colors if the upper limit is 16 colors?

starlord14

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 19, 2019, 02:41:45 pm »
well it was not my intention to reduce it, I only exchanged some colors with that of the original palette, but I got lost with the lighter ones and that's how I stay :P sorry, so what would I have to correct for Stella and Loretta with the red? xD

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
I think I managed to import the blue and pink icons for Jonathan and Charlotte (the ones with the letters).
I am having issues implementing the Info Screen images for some reason. I'll see what I can do about those.

In the meanwhile, here's a test patch that should have everything except the Info Screen images, Dual Crush and the Mini portraits. The blue and pink icons should already be imported, so please try them out with this patch:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo4izf2vxs6f3vw/Portrait%20of%20Elegance.xdelta?dl=0
Also, try to see how both Loretta and Stella look in this patch in-game, please.
I didn't notice the red edge Johann mentioned, but it should be worth testing them in-game to be sure.

Two points to make out of this:
1) The Dual Crush images are still giving me issues.
Given how problematic these two have been, I decided to completely overwrite the existing palette used for those.
With that said, I have taken two examples with good colours and made them have an indexed palette:

If you open up the image in any image editor (that's not Paint), it should show only 16 colours in the palette.
If for whatever reason the palette is still not shown, then I recommend using GIMP, opening up the images and then do the following:
Image -> Mode -> Indexed -> Maximum number of colors: "16"

That way we can force the image to be indexed, and we know exactly what colours we can work with.
The images I posted above require some tweaking, as they have a lot of dithering in them, and they might require a clean up. Once they're reworked, I can go ahead and import them into the game manually, and I will also make a new palette entry for them.

2) As I mentioned, the Info Screen portraits are not in yet.
Although, from my tests, it seems like the ones Johann provided worked out the best in-game.
Here are the results from the images imported into the game and with the proper palette (I did some slight tweaking):

So once I am able to import them, they should work right away with no changes done whatsoever.
The Mini portraits I haven't imported yet, but I assume they should give no issues (I hope)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 21, 2019, 03:59:23 pm »
The pics are coming along great. Can't wait to see it in action.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 21, 2019, 04:20:53 pm »
Just imported the Info Screen images as well.
Re-download the patch posted a couple posts ago to test it out.

I think the only missing stuff right now are the Mini Portraits and any possible rework to the current sprites/portraits that has been done.
Although I think we are still missing something, I just can't pinpoint what exactly haha.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
Just remembered, I think the only other asset left is the All Credits portraits with the new Grimoire of Souls dumps.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:46:40 pm by ShadowOne333 »

starlord14

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 21, 2019, 05:13:08 pm »
I recolor them with the original palettes, and they look good, I think, if the problem was only because of the color palette they should already be ready, only that both of them I put two extra colors that were not in the palette, for more dark tones, they are the ones that appear as extras , and I think charlotte has a color that i not detects well because when indexing it frame 16 colors and I count 14 in addition to the blue of the background are 15, so hopefully it works fine :P

if they do not work due to those two additional colors, I will put them with the original colors, but the hair will be flatter, since I use 5 colors for the hair in each one, and in the original palette they only use 3, in addition to the colors more dark from the original palette, they are too light and do not give deepen the drawing xD ;)

jajajaja very fun the name of hack xD portrait of ruin / portrair of elegance lol   :thumbsup:

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 21, 2019, 05:27:26 pm »
Maybe you need to clear the faces of pronounced shadowing. I seen on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXlfLj_Jq5I and the faces are mostly one color.

October 21, 2019, 10:37:02 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also, Jonathans hair and face colors seem the same. So it's hard to know where the hair ends and begins.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:37:02 pm by MathUser2929 »

daniel_juve

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 21, 2019, 07:46:52 pm »
What about the little portraits in the "Use Item" screen? I know they are very tiny but, still. Do you plan on replacing them too?

Spoiler:

Also this one:

Spoiler:

Btw, phenomenal work so far!  ::)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 07:54:09 pm by daniel_juve »

starlord14

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 22, 2019, 02:55:14 am »
Well I don't know if this still works for something, but I already understood what Johann meant, so I corrected the edges of Stella and Loretta, no more red edges, and I'm sorry for having so many mistakes hahaha but I think it will look good in the end xD  :)

Edit:

mini portraits

https://imgur.com/a/VOeFu2q
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 06:18:17 pm by starlord14 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 24, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Oh I didn't notice you had uploaded the Mini portraits as well.
If I didn't check the thread, I wouldn't even have noticed at all lol

I have imported all of the new cleaned-up Loretta/Stella portraits, and I have also imported the mini portraits in-game as well:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo4izf2vxs6f3vw/Portrait%20of%20Elegance.xdelta?dl=0

Right now I think all that's left is just a revamped Credits image using the Grimoire of Souls dumps, the reworked Dual Crush images, and give the whole game a good beta test to be sure it's all in good shape for a release.
I need someone to give a good test to all of the main character portraits, and also I need someone to check each mini portrait for each character thoroughly before continuing.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 10:01:22 am by ShadowOne333 »