News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 81758 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #260 on: January 28, 2017, 11:33:49 pm »
Well, seems not all are as patient as I am :P
I know this kind of work is really time consuming, and you seem really loyal to the proyect, I trust you and you can take as much time as you need, azulo.
You already know I can wait for as long as you consider it.
And also, I know that when it comes to art-work, the artist wants everything to be perfect to his eyes, I have my own share of artistry and definitely can understand it, so yeah, take your time my friend :D

And enjoy your... summer in winter? trip  ;D

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 29, 2017, 01:27:36 am »
It's summer here in Chile  ;D
We're literally burnin' up.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 30, 2017, 10:04:29 am »
Oh well that explains it haha.
Enjoy your trip!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2017, 01:48:48 pm »
Hey everyone!

As I said, I didn't want to bump up the thread until I had something to show. That doesn't mean I haven't been working on it. There's been A LOT of development behind the scenes, and now is the time to show it  :)

I've been exchanging PMs with ShadowOne and we agreed on the selection of portraits that will be in the first official version of the patch. So it's just a matter of time until he implements them and makes the first official release of the patch!  :beer:

In the meantime, here's what's been done so far:

There's gonna be two patches: a main one, based on Aria of Sorrow portraits, and a second one using the Harmony of Despair variants for Soma, Yoko and Julius.
Here they are, compared side to side to the original DoS anime portraits (click to see full size):

Main patch (Aria of Sorrow style)

Variants patch (Harmony of Despair style)

There was a lot of inconsistencies in size, constrast, saturation, etc. among all the sprites we had so far, so I ended up editing all of them again. I only kept the Alucard portraits that bounced back and forth by various users (only made some minor touchups), and reedited all others portraits using the best resolution artwork I could find. Also note that there was no point on adapting the smaller AoS sprites since we have a much better resolution in DoS.

As for the HoD variants, there I only made Soma again. Yoko and Julius were left intact as they were posted on this thread before.

So there you have it, thanks everyone for your interest and patience!
Here's a few other comparison charts so you can see all the work done:

Current selection vs. What we had in the thread so far

Current selection vs. What we had in the thread so far (HoD style variants)

Current selection vs. Aria of Sorrow sprites

And since this post is already too busy, you can go see the art I did for the three new portraits (Celia, Dario, Dmitri) in my gallery, acediez.tumblr.com, acediez.deviantart.com

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2017, 01:54:02 pm »
@acediez I just noticed something.
it might be very minor, but worth noting.

The Yoko variant from the AoS set is missing her Dawn of Sorrow outfit, she is still using the Aria of Sorrow one.
Soma got the proper outfit, and Julius didn't change at all, it's only Yoko which might need the clothing change.

Just that :)
Everything else, as we spoke before, is in the process of being implemented back into the ROM for a proper first final patch. :D

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2017, 03:28:03 pm »
@acediez Great work. I really like your Dario.

Both versions of Julius still look kinda out of place, but neither source file seems to be sufficient for better conversion (blurrier and more sketched AoS version, and the HoD version is of too small resolution to upscale).

The correct look for Yoko’s clothing can probably be achieved with minor edits. Cover up the neck and curve the collar.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 06, 2017, 04:29:33 pm »
Wow, these portraits look wonderful.

You have my respect  ;)
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 06, 2017, 04:53:58 pm »
Portrait of Ruin
Higher resolution artwork of the two main characters:
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/castlevania/images/e/eb/Jonathan_HD.png/revision/latest?cb=20160522202226&path-prefix=es
http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/castlevania/images/b/b5/Charlotte_HD.png/revision/latest?cb=20160522201755&path-prefix=es

Dracula:
Slight edit of this should suffice.
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/castlevania/images/3/33/Cdxc-dracula2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140417103009

Other characters
Uncharted territory. Possible source here is Santa Lilio Sangre, Kojima’s artbook featuring a lot of non-Castlevania works in her trademark style.

Eric Lecarde:
http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/kojima/lily/color/045-color.jpg

Always been depicted a bit effeminately.

Brauner:
Clearly inspired by Count Orlok from Nosferatu. Bald version of this face might work: http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/kojima/lily/color/040-color.jpg (other scan: http://castlevania.neo-romance.net/kojima/misc/yaso02.jpg)

Vincent:
Any softer, friendlier face from the artbook might suffice.

Stella and Loretta:
These’ll need more work.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 06, 2017, 09:20:23 pm »
New artist eh? The other person seemed like she had talent but I guess you guys waited long enough. I really like the new drawings. I notice that the two Alucards have different skin tones tho. That might need to be adjusted.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 06, 2017, 11:08:08 pm »
I did new versions of Yoko and Julius, as well as some other very minor improvements you probably won't even notice. I sent them directly to ShadowOne.

For Yoko's clothes, I decided to use the same HoD portrait design for consistency among the two versions, even if it's a bit different to the in-game sprite. That's how they go in Harmony of Despair anyway, using the same in-game sprites.

That'll be all, for now! I need to get back to work on my own stuff for now (and I mean, for the next few months, I have a deadline ahead!). That means I can't work on the Portrait of Ruin side of the project immediately. But maybe after that? ::)

I hope you guys enjoy the patch once it's released! I'm very excited to see the reception it gets once it's public.

New artist eh? The other person seemed like she had talent but I guess you guys waited long enough
If you mean "azulo", that was me too. I just changed username (it was an old throwaway account)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 11:19:06 pm by acediez »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2017, 09:23:40 am »
Oh, so that was you. Well, good job then.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2017, 11:15:41 am »
HacksNewCastlevania: Dawn of Dignity (New Portraits Hack)   ShadowOne333   2017-03-07 11:08:33No

It's up for submission guys  ;)
After the hack gets accepted, it's just a matter of adding the credits for it (since the submission form doesn't have a Credits section from the get-go).
Then that should be it for Dawn of Sorrow! :D

That'll be all, for now! I need to get back to work on my own stuff for now (and I mean, for the next few months, I have a deadline ahead!). That means I can't work on the Portrait of Ruin side of the project immediately. But maybe after that? ::)

I hope you guys enjoy the patch once it's released! I'm very excited to see the reception it gets once it's public.
If you mean "azulo", that was me too. I just changed username (it was an old throwaway account)

Thank you so much for all your work, acediez!
It certainly was of great help for reworking all of the artwork, and not even mention the original one, which was superb :)
Wish you best of luck with your incoming work, and you're welcome to contribute to this project whenever you feel like it! :D

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2017, 01:25:50 pm »
That means I can't work on the Portrait of Ruin side of the project immediately. But maybe after that? ::)
We’ll cobble stuff together and then you can salvage anything of worth later on. :p

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2017, 01:47:50 pm »
Cheers guys!  :beer:

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2017, 02:35:52 pm »
Okay guys, while the hack gets accepted I will leave the portraits for Portrait of Ruin:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok26y9y2n1ibxl6/PoR%20Portraits.rar?dl=0

So far that RAR includes all of the individual character portraits with their correct indexed palette, as well as the 4bpp images for Charlotte and Jonathan, and a big Credits portraits image.
I am unsure as to what other images in the anime artstyle are there left besides from those, since it has been 5+ years since I last played it, but please let me know if I'm missing some.

Thankfully, PoR uses 8pp for the portraits alongside a 256 colour palette, which means we have WAY more freedom when it comes to colouring the portraits now thanks to that.

If anyone wants to start making mockups for the portraits, be my guest, you're welcome to contribute to this.
I might take a while before attempting to start Portrait of Ruin, I want to finish the Wrecking Crew 98 translation first and then come back to this.

In the meanwhile, feel free to post anything related to the project :D
And don't forget to give feedback on the upcoming Dawn of Dignity hack too!

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2017, 05:32:01 pm »
Turning DXC Dracula into something resembling the PoR Dracula sprite.

Early work in progress, obviously. Especially the collar, since I’m still trying to figure out a good shape.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2017, 05:40:10 pm »
The only thing that bothered me about the Dracula X Chronicles artwork is that Dracula looks like he has some sort of wimpy moustache on his face. xD
I found this artwork:

And this:

It seems like most of the PoR portraits tend to follow a straight-up face for most of them.
Gotta say the mockup you did is really amazing, I like the changes in the clothes you made.
Just ditching the moustache would make it  :thumbsup: absolute fantastic haha.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2017, 05:49:52 pm »

Voila, quick trip to the barber.

Looks a bit younger like this, but that fits the PoR design. Also looks a bit more distinct from the source portrait.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:49 pm »
Wow, the last one looks really good!

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 08, 2017, 12:59:50 am »

Voila, quick trip to the barber.

Looks a bit younger like this, but that fits the PoR design. Also looks a bit more distinct from the source portrait.
Incredible what a trip to the barber can do!
Looks so much more menacing without the 'stache!

BTW guys!
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3356/

Dawn of Dignity is up and running!
ENJOY! :D

PS: I'll add the credits tomorrow morning, right now I have acediez, JohannGralog, DarkSamus993 and justin3009 in the list, think I got most of the contributions, but might be wrong.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:
Okay Credits submission is sent now :)
I also took the liberty to edit the OP of this thread to reflect the newest changes made, which are Dawn of Sorrow already done and Portrait of Ruin in early stages of mockups.
I also included the base portraits pack to the OP for easy access.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:03:08 pm by ShadowOne333 »