News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 166396 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #520 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:26 pm »
Maria's collision box attribute is not glitch but rather the designers designed it that way, Old Axe Armor player share the same attribute so that Old Axe Armor can fit in narrow paths as he has no sliding ability

I completely forgot there were specific characters that couldn't slide at all.
Makes sense why they did it that way now.

I think the Ranking menu is still using the original portraits

Ah damnit, this might be yet another instance of those certain assets being stored somewhere else in the ROM. :/
I might have to look again at the ROM and see where the hell are those remaining instances of the mini portraits.

Might take a while though.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 26, 2020, 04:18:22 pm »
I think the Ranking menu is still using the original portraits

I took some time today, and I think I finally found the Ranking mini portraits.
They seem to be located around 0x1F26000 in the ROM.

I have just updated the patches, and sent the submission, it should be up in a few hours.
@Azwel, as soon as the update goes live, please update your ROM and let me know if the portraits have been updated properly.

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 28, 2020, 03:57:18 pm »

Charlotte's face is corrupted and the "Richiter" typo is present here.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 29, 2020, 03:21:51 pm »
Just sent the update, and it's live right now!
The portraits should look fine now.

As for the "Richiter" typo, I think for the Ranking screen, it seems to be handled as text and not an image, so I'll have to take a look at the text of the game and see if I can fix it from there.
Although I am not sure even where to begin for it lol

nj180grados

• View Profile

And a name for each one of the games separately, why not?

(Dawn of Dignity & Portrait of Elegace)

This project is finished!
You can check the releases for both Dawn of Dignity and Portrait of Elegance here:

Dawn of Dignity:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3356/

Portrait of Elegance:
https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4839/

Good day, RH Community!

I had this for a long time in my head, and I wanted to finally post it here.

So, this is the deal:

From almost all Castlevania titles, there have been a pair of entries that I always had a grudge against due to being really off in artstyle...
Those two being Dawn of Sorrow and Portrait of Ruin.
For some idiotic reason, Konami decided to ditch Ayami Kojima's gorgeous art design/style and instead use that ugly af anime "art".

Old post:
Spoiler:
And here's a comparison of the portraits used in the final hack:

Right now the next on the list is Portrait of Ruin, it's in early stages of planning, but we already have all of the data and the base portraits to work with:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ok26y9y2n1ibxl6/PoR%20Portraits.rar?dl=0

You can download that RAR, and inside you will find PNG files with the portraits for Portrait of Ruin already ready for editing!
Just remember to use an image editor which supports indexed palettes. The indexed palette number for most of the portraits is 256 colours, only two-three of them are 16 colours.

If any of you guys have any mockups or ideas, feel free to post them here!

Original post:
Spoiler:
That was the main reason I never really enjoyed neither DoS nor PoR.
I mean, just try to compare this:

There's no comparison! And yeah, as you might have guessed, I despise the anime "artstyle", I find it overdone and really... REALLY overrated. Everytime I see those portraits in both games, I think to myself: "What the heck is this anime doing in my Castlevania?!"

Spoiler:
NOTE: Please restrain yourself from shitposting about why you like anime or why I'm an asshole due to my opinion, I do not care nor will I reply to any post with those kind of comments.
Any post like that will be reported immediately to a mod. If you won't help with the project, don't derail it with that shit, I made this for the purpose of having the whole series (well, except Rondo of Blood, but that one already has it's Kojima art style in the remake for the PSP) with the Kojima art style as it should have been if it weren't for the stupid demograhics cattering to otakus.

So, with that said, that's why I decided to take it upon myself to give these two games the art style they deserve, and how they should have been back in the day.
I decided to ditch that horrible and overrated anime style and instead try to implement Kojima-like artstyle for the character portraits, giving both games the redemption that they both deserve.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Let's get straight to the point, here's what I have so far:

I have found the starting offset for BOTH ROMs in which the character portraits start appearing.

Here's the portraits as I found them with Tile Molester using 8bpp Linear (using TM 0.19):

Dawn of Sorrow, starting point for the portraits located at 0x011D6000

Portrait of Ruin, starting point for the portraits located at 0x01BF2000

It's worth noting that all the portraits are all next to each other in the ROM's data, so that's a huge relief.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

All of this is a huge task for such a humble hacker, so I want to push the community to try to help with this project.
Now here's what I need help with:

• I need a recommendation.
    I know DS ROMs can be extracted.

I already extracted Dawn of Sorrow's files, but it seems like all the sprites and backgrounds (palettes too apparently) are inside .DAT files, and I do not know how to view those DAT files so that I can simply export the portraits themselves and edit them as mere images, that would save me the issue of getting the palette too. Portrait of Ruin might have the same DAT files for almost everything.
  • I need to find fanart of any kind that closely resembles the Kojima style for the characters.
    Dawn of Sorrow might be the easiest, since we already have Aria of Sorrow's character portraits, we could port those with a higher resolution if available.

Dawn of Sorrow's portraits:

Portrait of Ruin's portraits (excuse the redundancy):

NOTE: Portrait of Ruin has additional Ending portraits too.

Don't hesitate to post any fan art for a Castlevania character related to DoS or PoR that closely resembles the Kojima style!
    For example, here you have a mockup I did some years ago of Dracula Soma:

Here are a few others that have been posted in the thread I mentioned at the start of this post:

Some of the art released for Harmony of Despair will be of great help for this project! :)
  • The last thing I wanted to get help with, it's in case extracting, viewing and editing the DAT files for the portraits directly from the ROM is not possible.
    If we cannot get the DAT files to be viewable/editable, I will have to modify the portraits via Tile Molester.
    The images I posted previously along with the portrait's offsets are the ones with the palette provided by Tile Molester, so I need to find a way to use some sort of save state from Desmume or NO$GBA and import it into Tile Molester, that way we could go through the palettes of the save state until we reach the one we want for a specific character.

Anyone knows how to import palettes into Tile Molester by using a save state from No$GBA or Desmume (or any other DS emu)?

So, that's what I have so far!
If you have any constructive criticism or want to contribute to the project, please do so!
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Would it be possible to translate both projects to the European regions? In my case I am Spanish and I would like to be able to have these roms in my native language with the improvements that you have added. I think it is a great job that you have done and that is why I would like to make this request to you. I would be very grateful to you and I think I would not be the only one. Greetings and thank you. I hope some response from you.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Would it be possible to translate both projects to the European regions? In my case I am Spanish and I would like to be able to have these roms in my native language with the improvements that you have added. I think it is a great job that you have done and that is why I would like to make this request to you. I would be very grateful to you and I think I would not be the only one. Greetings and thank you. I hope some response from you.

I'd like to do so, but unfortunately the European versions modify the addresses for both the portraits and the palettes for the games, and without that info I don't think I can add all of them properly.

Maybe they could be done with DSVania Editor, but I am not that familiar with it to know how to locate and port all portraits to the EU ROMs.

nosynose

• View Profile
Hello. I could apply the main patch of POE v1.3.6 to the rom successfully, but then XDelta (v3.0.7) complained about "source file is incorrect" when trying to apply the optional patch (SotNDeath.xdelta) to the patched rom, and the resulting rom is truncated (just 25Mb instead of 64Mb).

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Hello. I could apply the main patch of POE v1.3.6 to the rom successfully, but then XDelta (v3.0.7) complained about "source file is incorrect" when trying to apply the optional patch (SotNDeath.xdelta) to the patched rom, and the resulting rom is truncated (just 25Mb instead of 64Mb).

Oh you're right.
The SotN Death patch wasn't grabbing the correct base ROM.
This has been fixed, I already sent the updated patch, should be up in a few hours.

Also, the resulting ROM shouldn't be truncated. I just patched a vanilla ROM and it is still around 67MB.

nosynose

• View Profile
SotNDeath is applied okay now. Thanks, ShadowOne333!

Serbagz

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2020, 06:55:20 pm »
For those wanting to edit the portraits more easily through DSVania (For Dawn of Sorrow atleast) here are the Palette pointers and locations to punch in to DSVania's GFX editor.

Spoiler:
/sc/f_fsoma0.dat 022C64D8
/sc/f_fsoma1.dat 022C64D8
/sc/f_fsoma2.dat 022C64D8
/sc/f_fsoma3.dat 022C64D8

/sc/f_fsoma4.dat 022C64FC
/sc/f_fsoma5.dat 022C64FC

/sc/f_fsoma6.dat 022C6520

/sc/f_fsoma7.dat 022C64D8
/sc/f_fsoma8.dat 022C64D8

/sc/f_fmina0.dat 022C6544
/sc/f_fmina1.dat 022C6544
/sc/f_fmina2.dat 022C6544
/sc/f_fmina3.dat 022C65B0
/sc/f_fmina4.dat 022C6568
/sc/f_fmina5.dat 022C658C

/sc/f_farik0.dat 022C65D4
/sc/f_farik1.dat 022C661C
/sc/f_farik2.dat 022C65F8

/sc/f_fyoko0.dat 022C6688
/sc/f_fyoko1.dat 022C6688
/sc/f_fyoko2.dat 022C6688
/sc/f_fyoko3.dat 022C6688
/sc/f_fyoko4.dat 022C6688

/sc/f_fjuli0.dat 022C6640
/sc/f_fjuli1.dat 022C6640
/sc/f_fjuli2.dat 022C6664

/sc/f_fhume0.dat 022C66AC
/sc/f_fhume1.dat 022C66AC
/sc/f_fhume2.dat 022C66AC

/sc/f_fseri0.dat 022C66D0
/sc/f_fseri1.dat 022C66D0
/sc/f_fseri2.dat 022C66D0
/sc/f_fseri3.dat 022C66D0

/sc/f_fdari0.dat 022C66F4
/sc/f_fdari1.dat 022C66F4
/sc/f_fdari2.dat 022C66F4
/sc/f_fdari3.dat 022C66F4

/sc/f_fdomi0.dat 022C6718
/sc/f_fdomi1.dat 022C6718
/sc/f_fdomi2.dat 022C6718
/sc/f_fdomi3.dat 022C673C

Here is a quick example on how to punch things in.

Big thanks to Darksamus993 for helping me get a hold of the locations in the first place and as always LagoLunatic the Godfather of DSVania hacking.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 18, 2020, 02:12:40 pm »
@Serbagz thanks for that info!
I'm sure it'll be of help to others :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2020, 02:39:17 pm »
So this hack is done then, right?

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2020, 02:56:03 pm »
Pretty much, yes.
With the info Serbagz provided, maybe someone else could port thehacks over to the European ROMs for compatibility sake.

Also, for PoR I added an optional patch to fix the Death Glitch on USA ROMs.