News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)  (Read 166801 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Project Castlevania: Choir of Redemption (CV DoS & PoR portraits hack)
« Reply #440 on: December 03, 2019, 03:49:37 pm »
I feel like the main problems with the sprites is that they're shaded less like skin and more like gloss (especially on Johnathan). It almost looks like they're made of plastic. Maybe if the shading was made softer and something beside pure white were used as the shine, then it'd probably look much better, though judging by the limitations, that'd be quite an issue to work around. As for other critiques, I'd say the lips on Charlotte looks off (alongside that weird shine above them) and that Jonathan looks kinda pale. I'd correct the sprite myself, but I'm pretty busy ATM. Still, good job on actually finding a way to implement them in without making it look like dithered ass.
I agree 100%
I am aware the shine does make them look off. I haven't really touched them up at all after my initial mockups.
This is where I left them I think:

For what it's worth, I left a couple colours un-edited from the original palette, so that means I have like 2-3 colors to add to each of those two. Currently each image takes around 13 colours each (not counting background). Also, I think Charlotte's has a very bright pink which could substitute the white shine, and for Jonathan I could add a slight shade of beige to help with his shine.

If someone can rework them in the meanwhile, please let me know and post some mockups.
I can't really work on this on long time intervals due to some health issues at the moment, but I'll try to change the palette accordingly if new mockups arise.

I am planning on finally closing this project up before 2020 arrives, so let's make this our goal to close up the year :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 03, 2019, 04:20:45 pm »
Maybe you just need to get rid of the white spots on the face. From far away you can't even notice them.

Or maybe it'd be better to have a light skin color on there, to keep ore detail. Find a good color, not too white. but not exactly the same.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 06:00:40 pm by MathUser2929 »

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 03, 2019, 08:22:36 pm »
I used the little time I had to take a jab at Jonathan

I only added one extra palette and modified a few others.
Hey there

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 04, 2019, 12:17:07 pm »
Added the extra colour manually to the ROM, and imported the new graphic, I also changed Charlotte's a little bit.
How does this look?

EDIT:
Just updated the beta patch for anyone that wants to try it out:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo4izf2vxs6f3vw/Portrait%20of%20Elegance.xdelta?dl=0

And here's also an optional patch that changes the Death portrait to be similar to that of Symphony of the Night (Should be applied over an already patched Portrait of Elegance ROM):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edj3lxv29id7nbq/SotNDeath.xdelta?dl=0
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:32:20 pm by ShadowOne333 »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 04, 2019, 03:32:46 pm »
Looks good. Maybe you can make your 1.0 version now.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 05, 2019, 06:21:27 pm »
Okay so I tried fixing Charlotte, made her skin not so bright and the lips look better, though the pic still looks a bit off in my opinion.

I feel like the issue here now is the nose; it's awkward with how it shaped and how far from the lips it is. I tried to fix it myself, but now it looks too straight.

This is probably the best I can do right now. I can't find a high enough quality of the image that was used as reference, so until then, it's still looks off to me.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:32:54 pm by DannyPlaysSomeGames »
Hey there

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 07, 2019, 02:08:29 am »
Hi,
Long time lurker, 1st post. Love your work so far :)
I see there's been some difficulty with Charlotte's dual crash portrait, and it might be starting to deviate from Kojima's original, figured I'd give it a try

Kept your hair but added a bit more shine to it.
Hope it's of some use

Otherwise I do think JohannGralog's monocolour portraits look pretty good due to the level of detail it retains from the original (looking more like Kojima official art) so could be worthwhile trying this/?create a 2nd patch with this as an option?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:33:46 am by Zierrion »

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 07, 2019, 12:02:31 pm »
I see there's been some difficulty with Charlotte's dual crash portrait, and it might be starting to deviate from Kojima's original, figured I'd give it a try
Welcome to the forums, and thanks for contributing.

Damn, that looks pretty good. The only issue is that it looks a bit unclear and jagged, so I tried to fix that up a bit (if that's okay with you).

I also took the time to fix up Jonathan too (making his palette look nicer, fixing his nose and eyes, etc.)

Hopefully, these portraits are the last thing missing from the project.

ShadowOne has done a great job on this project, and the artists that had contributed really did shine here. Hopefully this project gets finished soon.
Hey there

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 07, 2019, 10:03:37 pm »
Hey yeah no worries feel free anyone to modify as they see fit

The only problem I see with your smoothening is that Charlotte's left eye looses a bit of its sharpness/determination.  Eyelashes do need to be taken into account for this.
Ive made a few touchups that is more of a halfway point

Anyway, looks like these are the options we've got, so ShadowOne333 you can choose whichever you deem most suitable:

I might try my hand at Jonathan if I've got time
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:06:43 am by Zierrion »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 13, 2019, 12:58:25 pm »
Sorry for the hiatus.
I tried different things, but nothing look good enough.
I started searching around in the thread, and I for some reason overlooked those blue and red portraits that Johann did some time ago for the Dual Crush portraits, which look like this in-game:

Gotta say that was the best-looking one so far without compromising the original design of the portraits, so I had to edit the palette yet again and import the portraits.

I already sent the Hack submission with this current version, as there doesn't seem to be any out of place things, and the portraits all seem to work perfectly in-game from my tests.

Keep an eye out for the accepted submission :)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:06:07 pm by ShadowOne333 »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: December 13, 2019, 02:45:04 pm »
Hurrah. Glad you finished it.

December 13, 2019, 02:46:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Are you gonna go back to DOS and get multiple reactions now? Don't have to, but it'd be nice.

December 13, 2019, 05:25:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
It's up. 20 downloads so far. https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4839/
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 05:25:48 pm by MathUser2929 »

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 13, 2019, 04:10:06 pm »
Looks good! I agree that looks like it works pretty well
I look forward to the patch!!
 :)

Looking through the threads, a couple of quite minor things I've noted/thought of, for your consideration:

1) Loretta/Stella ending portrait

I notice that Loretta and Stella's ending portrait still uses the 'long-neck' version?
If using the Starlord14 adjusted versions for in-game portrait, could be worth lining this up (?@JohannGranlog)

Edit: Turns out I was wrong and this is the adjusted short-neck version already, my bad  :P

2) Jonathan menu portrait 2
Not sure which of these you decided to use in the end

Considering for Charlotte you are using the same portrait as the one used in dual crash however , could be worthwhile using the same for Jonathan for consistency?

3) Locket

Don't know if this image was ever addressed?

I don't have much experience with romhacks so I don't know if this is even accessible, or if it's even feasible changing this image
Cheapest way I can think of though would just be to run the image through a filter and make it look like a pencil drawing
Sample:

4) Jonathan alternate portrait

Are we using this Jonathan portrait anywhere at present?
I agree this one isn't particularly easy to use..

There's only 3 places I can think of possibly placing this portrait if you did want to maximise use of all the illustrations we have available. I emphasize that these are only ideas, the ones you are using now are fine as well:

(a) Within the menu
Quick, low-effort mock-up:

(Note: I also changed the Charlotte portrait as a trial to see if they possibly fit in better with each other (ie both of their "smiling" portraits, and both facing towards the centre))

(b) For the ending portraits instead of the current ones

(c) For the smiling/happy facial expression in-game portraits
(although I acknowledge we don't have enough portraits to cover the full range of expressions in game..)

The only other thing I can think of that could potentially make this Jonathan portrait easier to use would be adjusting the bit of hair that's flying up so that it doesn't do so as much
Quick/very-low-effort mockup:

Otherwise, sticking with the current portraits for all of the above is fine as well (after all you used the same portrait for all of the Soma portraits in your Dawn of Sorrow patch and I don't see any problem with it)

Hope these ideas are of some use to you
I very look forward to your patch! Have been holding off a PoR replay until this has been completed! :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:57:49 am by Zierrion »

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 15, 2019, 05:54:40 am »
1) Heh, it's actually the short-neck version, it just looks a bit longer because of the framing. For reference, this older mock-up contains the long-neck version.

3) I forgot that happened in the game. If I can get a clean indexed sprite rip from ShadowOne333, I can probably quickly whip up a composition using the three portraits in sepia. I'm taking a week off work around Christmas.

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 15, 2019, 06:55:34 am »
Oh, apologies! For some reason they looked like the long-neck originals on first glance (but this becomes apparent to not be the case when compared to your older mock-up). Thanks for pointing out my mistake  :)

Edit 17/12/19:
And now, for something that absolutely no-one asked for,
Figured I'd try my hand at creating alternate Stella/Loretta/Wind portraits for the locket image

Not sure if they're too different from the current portrait looks (but its of a photo in a locket so ?maybe ok)
Clothes are different yes, but then makes sense Brauner would doll-up his victims...
Combined:

Mock-up with in game resolution:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:00:28 am by Zierrion »

nicoblog

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 19, 2019, 07:32:28 pm »
And here's also an optional patch that changes the Death portrait to be similar to that of Symphony of the Night (Should be applied over an already patched Portrait of Elegance ROM):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/edj3lxv29id7nbq/SotNDeath.xdelta?dl=0
Hi, Something's up with that sotn death patch. It doesn't take the rom with the v1 patch applied (CRC b94f1dd0).
I don't know what crc it expects.

JohannGralog

• View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 20, 2019, 02:59:15 am »
Oh, apologies! For some reason they looked like the long-neck originals on first glance (but this becomes apparent to not be the case when compared to your older mock-up). Thanks for pointing out my mistake  :)

Edit 17/12/19:
And now, for something that absolutely no-one asked for,
Figured I'd try my hand at creating alternate Stella/Loretta/Wind portraits for the locket image

Not sure if they're too different from the current portrait looks (but its of a photo in a locket so ?maybe ok)
Clothes are different yes, but then makes sense Brauner would doll-up his victims...
Combined:

Mock-up with in game resolution:

I love that idea.

Concerning clothes, they already look that dolled up in Sisters Mode, which happens right before Brauner gets them. But even then, changing fashions &c. could still apply.

To increase recognisability, I might try my hand at increasing the volume of Stella's Leia buns. Maybe Eric's hair could also be lengthened and darkened a bit.

The current composition does leave open space behind Loretta, though on the other hand I'm not sure if moving the two sisters more side-to-side would truly look better.

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 20, 2019, 07:21:18 am »
I love that idea.

Concerning clothes, they already look that dolled up in Sisters Mode, which happens right before Brauner gets them. But even then, changing fashions &c. could still apply.

To increase recognisability, I might try my hand at increasing the volume of Stella's Leia buns. Maybe Eric's hair could also be lengthened and darkened a bit.

The current composition does leave open space behind Loretta, though on the other hand I'm not sure if moving the two sisters more side-to-side would truly look better.

Hey yeah by all means. I too was a bit worried Stella didn't look similar enough but this was the best I could do, so feel free to modify away.

I agree we can try moving the sisters placement a bit to see what works best. I did the composition thinking it was going to be a narrow diamond shape, and the area ended up being wider than I anticipated on the locket face  :P

Edit: For reference, here is the original (as you can see, I barely made any changes for Stella):
Spoiler:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 07:33:21 am by Zierrion »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 20, 2019, 12:36:35 pm »
Damnit I didn't get mails about this project neither.
Sorry for taking long to reply here as well, I explained a bit on my Zelda 1 Redux topic if you want to know the reasons on my delays.

To adress the recent comments:

@Zierrion I completely forgot about the Locket image.
I managed to find both the sprite and the palette at the following addresses:

Sprite: 0x1FA8000 - 4bpp linear, reverse-order
Palette: 0x277008 - Size: 16 (16 colour indexed palette)

Do take into consideration that the image is segmented in the ROM, but don't worry about that, I'll cut the image into the proper parts once the new image is ready. Just focus on trying to respect the indexed palette, which is 16 colours, with the first/transparent one being the red background.

To index the image, open it up in GIMP, then go to Image -> Mode -> Indexed.
Select "Generate optimum palette" and in "Maximum number of colors" type in "16". That should index the image to the required colours.

As for the menu images, I went with the second one, but your idea about making them match the Dual Crush images sounds nice, so I might change them to match their Dual Crush counterparts, so they will end up being these ones:

Also, for the other menu images that you posted here:

Those look really good!
Could you maybe post them in an import-compatible form?

These are the ones that I used provided by Johann for the hack currently in-use:

As with the Locket image, these two are also indexed, so do the same steps as with the locket to index them to 16 colors so that if you do your mockups, the proper colors are used.

Out of that, Johann's suggestions for the Locket sound really good :)
Let me know if there's anything else I can help with or any suggestions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@nicoblog I didn't see your post, sorry.

I think the problem is that I made that patch from an old build of Portrait of Elegance, so that might explain why it doesn't work.
Once these latest points are addressed and implemented into the ROM, I'll redo the SotN Death hack as well with the most up to date version. It wouldn't make much sense if I update it now, just to update it again once I add the new images (including the new Locket). So to avoid any in-vain work, I'll wait until all is ready to update that patch as well.

---------------------------

@Zirrion @JohannGralog, I feel quite well today and had some spare time, so I went ahead and tried to implement Zirrion's mockups for the Info Screen into the game, and this is how they ended up looking with the indexed palette and a bit of pixel rework on my side:

This is how they will look in-game, as I have tested them and they do work.
Let me know what do you think.
I will adapt the menu pink image for Jonathan later once we are settled on the new Locket image.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 01:45:06 pm by ShadowOne333 »

Zierrion

• View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 21, 2019, 08:52:50 am »
Glad you liked some of my ideas!   ;D

Also, for the other menu images that you posted here:

Those look really good!
Could you maybe post them in an import-compatible form?

Haha I was going to do these up properly with the right frame sizing/palette once I got confirmation that you would like to go ahead,
But I see you've been able to complete them yourself already and I think they look great!

:beer:

I saw your post on the Zelda 1 Redux topic btw, and I hope things go okay...

I'll try recompositing the locket portrait/palette some time tomorrow as a trial (but for final thing will wait and see the modifications @JohannGralog makes to the portraits)

-------------------

Edit 22/12/19:

Okay, gave the mockups another attempt, this time properly at 16 colours

(Not sure why, but I always got a feeling Loretta was slightly shorter than Stella  :P)

Spoiler:
Easter egg
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 10:55:01 pm by Zierrion »

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 22, 2019, 05:26:18 pm »
Great stuff, maybe retexture the locket too, since it looks a bit cartoonish