News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Starting a co-op Seiken Densetsu 3 Let's Play soon, looking for some advice!  (Read 1501 times)

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Basically as the title says. This is one of my most nostalgiac games. Everyone I knew played Secret of Mana (and I can only image why  ::) ) but that's not the game I fell in love with. While I played Secret of Mana first, it never grabbed me as a kid, but thanks to the magic of fan translations I got to play this one, and it totally did. I've beaten the game numerous times, and I just don't get tired of it.

So I decided to share my love for the game with the world! Or the 15 or so people who regularly watch my videos. :P

That said, I'm bringing in a friend who's never played it. In fact, he's played next to no older generation games. I want to get a good, fresh perspective on the game. I let him play Duran's opening section and showed him a few clips of the game to get him acclimated to it and see if he'd want to record 20-ish hours of the game with me, and he's on board. Funny enough, he even wants to play Duran so I'll be picking someone else for myself as player 1, and I'm having a 3rd party pick the 3rd character.

My question to you is this: Which story is going to make for the most interesting LP to do? I know it's only really going to make a minor difference at the end of the day, but picking the main character is going to be a big deal. I'm shying away from Angela if only because spell casting bogs the gameplay down so much. I don't much like Carlie/Charlotte, but I could deal with her if I really need to so I can get some healing on the team (He's going the gladiator route so no heals there). I'd prefer to play Kevin, Hawk, or Lise. Those are my three favorite characters but I want to make sure the story is entertaining to watch.

Anyway, this has been rambly as all get out because I'm exhausted and I should go to sleep before the sun comes up. It's much appreciated!

Spooniest

• Restricted Access
  • Madge, I want your body! 'harry your a beast!11'
    • View Profile
Seiken Densetsu 3 doesn't have 3 player co-op, unless I'm mistaken.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Seiken Densetsu 3 doesn't have 3 player co-op, unless I'm mistaken.

Well there actually is a hack that restores that functionality, but this will just be a 2 player run anyway. I'm having my girlfriend pick the 3rd character just to sort of mix up the party and keep things interesting.

Bregalad

• View Profile
What I don't understand is that you claim to have played SD3 dozen of times, and ask for advice as to which story is the best. You probably know better than any of us, I played a through SD3 only once, although I did the begining quite a couple of times, and saw how the story was altered. If I am not mistaken, you can have npr(6 3) = 6!/3! = 120 different parties, and thus 120 different stories. However, only the 1st char really affects the story significantly, and it affects like the first one or two hours of the game, then all stories converge to the same story when they reach Wendel. So just pick the main character that grants you the best story, and use your favourite characters as the other 2.

Pesonally, my favourite main character is Hawk, because of his ability to reduce the probability to have traps in chest is useful. You can also have him as a side character and switch to him to open chests, but then you don't get him at the start of the game, and have to switch manually every time.

I also loved Angela, she's sexy, immature and rebel, I like that :)

Charlie is way too much immature, though, basically she's a very little kid.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
I thought I remembered hearing that there was a bug in the 3 player hack once you get to a part where one of the characters gets nabbed. Like the games gets confused and then no player is in control or something.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Psychlonic

• View Profile
Hawk is fun to play as just because he can hit so often, but I always preferred Duran for being able to hit multiple opponents at once and he hits like a dump truck. Duran, Hawk, and Lise would make for a chaotic time. Just keep stocked up on healing items or have Duran go a light route, it's not like his attacks are weak by any means plus a shield and healing spells makes him nearly indestructible. Duran and Hawk have the best story scenarios, IMO.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
I thought I remembered hearing that there was a bug in the 3 player hack once you get to a part where one of the characters gets nabbed. Like the games gets confused and then no player is in control or something.

Yep, this is a major bug in that.  I don't think anyone's gone out of their way to fix it either so a 3-player run 'might' be bad.  Unless they can opt out the third player somehow before they hit that point.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
Yep, this is a major bug in that.  I don't think anyone's gone out of their way to fix it either so a 3-player run 'might' be bad.  Unless they can opt out the third player somehow before they hit that point.

As far as I can remember, the 2nd player is entirely optional at any point where there is an extra character, so I guess they could just have the 3rd player "turn off" their controls when it gets to the spot in the story/game. I've only played the game a few hours in, but surely someone else on here knows where that critical point is so they can have the 3rd player opt out to keep from bringing the run to a screeching halt.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

ArkthePieKing

• View Profile
Well I didn't claim to play through the game 'dozens of times', but thinking on it I guess I've only beaten it twice. Once with Kevin and once with Hawk. I like the double hitters!  I've gotten pretty far into a number of other runs though so I guess it just felt like I'd beaten it more times than I have.

And I'm not worried about the 3 player hack. I'm only going to be playing with one other person. I just had someone unrelated to the Let's Play pick our third party member is all. It's probably going to be Hawk just because he's so rad, but it kind of bites because my friend is dead set on Gladiator Duran so the game won't have a healer. For that reason I'm tempted to pick up Kevin instead even though I think his story is a bit weaker and he's less interesting gameplay wise than Hawk.

Edit: What I meant was final team is looking like Hawk/Kevin, Duran, and Lise.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:18:59 pm by ArkthePieKing »

tvtoon

• View Profile
Kevin, Charlotte and Hawk for massive pedobear jokes! :D