News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [SMD] Star Cruiser - English translation - Released  (Read 19918 times)

celcion

• View Profile
Re: [SMD] Star Cruiser - English translation - Public beta release 2
« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2016, 06:23:37 pm »
Release posted, will be available soon.
Translation tools will be released a little later.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: [SMD] Star Cruiser - English translation - Released
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2016, 01:51:43 am »
Awright! v0.99 is available now! http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2776/ :beer: :thumbsup:
WebsiteYouTube
(My RHDN Inbox almost full)

laputanmachine

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2016, 04:09:40 pm »
I wish we had gotten this in English in the states.  Damn!  3D on a Genesis that runs BETTER than Starfox on the Super Nintendo!  Just think!

Guess that 'blast processing' was finally good for something ;)

cccmar

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2016, 04:15:12 pm »
I wish we had gotten this in English in the states.  Damn!  3D on a Genesis that runs BETTER than Starfox on the Super Nintendo!  Just think!

Guess that 'blast processing' was finally good for something ;)

The sequel - Star Cruiser 2 - actually made use of a mouse (came out on PC-98 in Japan only), in the same year in which Doom came out IIRC. SC is originally a game from 1988 (not the SMD version of course)... this must've been pretty damn impressive back then. Also, it was actually fully translated, but actually never released in the west for some reason. I bet that the prototype will surface at some point.

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2016, 04:24:22 pm »
in the same year in which Doom came out IIRC.

In the same year in which Wolfenstein 3D came out actually, Doom came out a year later (1993).

SC is originally a game from 1988 (not the SMD version of course)... this must've been pretty damn impressive back then.

Not really. PC-88 SC graphics was a way worse than SMD one. There were barelly a 20-30 polygons onscreen. But, then again, PC-88 was an 8-bit platform, without any graphics acceleration, so nothing better could really be there. But X68000 version came a year later with 16bit-color (65K colors on-screen) and full-screen 3D-graphics. And that must've been very spectacular.

Also, it was actually fully translated, but actually never released in the west for some reason. I bet that the prototype will surface at some point.

Magazine authors had physical copy of this game, so it must've preserved somewhere. Maybe this translation release will bring some waves and someone remembers that he has cartridge on a dusty shelf or something. And get it dumped.

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2016, 01:51:11 am »
Most of the Original PC version are different game enough. The Mega Drive version lacks money, shops, and other things including unspeakable Player character (Brian). Weird.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:57:17 am by Gamerhenky »
WebsiteYouTube

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2016, 12:53:37 am »
Not really. PC-88 SC graphics was a way worse than SMD one. There were barelly a 20-30 polygons onscreen. But, then again, PC-88 was an 8-bit platform, without any graphics acceleration, so nothing better could really be there. But X68000 version came a year later with 16bit-color (65K colors on-screen) and full-screen 3D-graphics. And that must've been very spectacular.
Yeah, I have learnt about that spectacular dedicated Sharp X68000 version in the recent past. But is your newly formed group too scared to do that one or would you really like to move on to other unique games?
And congrats on a great release!

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 07, 2016, 01:03:02 am »
But is your newly formed group too scared to do that one or would you really like to move on to other unique games?

Not sure what do you mean by "scared". The logic was pretty simple - SMD version plays better, by far. Graphics aren't everything.
X68000 version improved only graphics, everything else is virtually the same as PC-88 version. And that's not that good as you might think. This versions has more freedom to explore, but also tons of grinding for money, far too many invisible walls, etc.
So I just took a better version.

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 07, 2016, 01:34:24 am »
Correct - the gameplay in the X68000 version isn't that great. The game has seemingly less text than the Star Cruiser SMD, but it's twice as long, if not more, because of all the grinding you need to do and the fact that pretty much every location is a maze with a ton of invisible walls. In fact, Star Cruiser 2 for the PC-98 followed in the footsteps of Star Cruiser SMD, because that version was clearly the most playable of the bunch.

ObiKKa

• Tome of retro gaming knowledge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2016, 11:06:12 am »
Ah, these are very sound explanations from the two top experts in this game (pun!). So now I agree with you totally to avoid the X68000 version for gameplay and pacing reasons. Gurh! For every location to basically be a constrained maze one after the other does seem very tedious.

I do like sci-fo adventures. More of these please! They're so unique and radically different from the fantasy, sword and sorcery RPGs, not that these are not any fun. But they each naturally lend to different storytelling styles.

Trojax

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:53 pm »
I am getting a freeze on the gravity catapult after Fantasia.  After landing there and talking to the guy a few steps in (dave), it freezes.

http://imgur.com/a/iQcXa
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:49:54 pm by Trojax »

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2016, 12:12:13 am »
I am getting a freeze on the gravity catapult after Fantasia.  After landing there and talking to the guy a few steps in (dave), it freezes.

Could you please provide a savestate, taken before it happens?

Trojax

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »
Could you please provide a savestate, taken before it happens?

Sure can, but I'll email it because I don't think I can attach files here. Sent it to <email redacted for anti-spam reasons> from the readme.txt.

Edit: I bypassed this part by switching to the japanese version to talk to dave and then saving and switching back to the translation.  All good so far.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 02:44:54 am by Azkadellia »

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 13, 2016, 02:37:08 am »
Sure can, but I'll email it because I don't think I can attach files here.

Could you please delete my email from your message so spam scanners won't be happy finding it? :-)

Gamerhenky

• Fire Emblem X Wizardry
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #94 on: November 13, 2016, 07:03:07 pm »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:15:00 am by Gamerhenky »
WebsiteYouTube

celcion

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2016, 04:14:19 pm »
@celcion: Can you update the first post with this included?
http://www.romhacking.net/translations/2776/

Sorry for delay. I will create new patch and upload it tomorrow.

PLiberty

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2016, 07:32:31 pm »
Encountered another freeze point: after a failed ship hijacking on planet Folder the game freezes after Freddy's dialogue.

Here's my save state on Kega Fusion --

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oGBV2-Zb_ISmdDTUtUdXNnVHM/view?usp=sharing

cccmar

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2016, 03:14:10 am »
Encountered another freeze point: after a failed ship hijacking on planet Folder the game freezes after Freddy's dialogue.

Here's my save state on Kega Fusion --

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1oGBV2-Zb_ISmdDTUtUdXNnVHM/view?usp=sharing

Could you check the latest version of the patch? It should work fine this time around (all the instances of this error should be  fixed as well), but if it doesn't we'll think of something.

PLiberty

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2016, 01:32:54 am »
Could you check the latest version of the patch? It should work fine this time around (all the instances of this error should be  fixed as well), but if it doesn't we'll think of something.
Latest patch fixed everything :woot!:

Anybody beat this game yet? I'm having difficulty on Planet Salamander where i'm supposed to beat an enemy with an "ancient weapon". Is that the Power Shot?

Blomman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2016, 08:15:39 am »
No, the ancient weapon is in your inventory. Dave gave it to you earlier.