News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.  (Read 35993 times)

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
Re: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 06:08:03 pm »
Meh.. just feels like too little, too late.

Not to mention too limited, if there's no way to expand the library.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2016, 06:19:25 pm »
I don't know. Sounds like they dropped the ball. With all the money Nintendo has they could have made a modern version of the NES that works right (unlike the original) and had access to the entire library. This device is cool, but only as a novelty. It's of little use to someone who isn't a retro NES noob. If they had made it funciton like a real NES then there would be a reason for all NES fans to get one. It's like one of those cheap "Greatest Hits" compilations you see at a gas station or something.

Also, why the hell did they put Super C but no Contra?
First thing I thought when I looked at this was "no VC connection?"  Then again they'd be selling it as more of a cheaper Wii U without the ability to play Wii U games, and the tradeoff would be free VC games.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2016, 07:16:27 pm »
Not to mention that it's factory new, not 30 years old.

But stuff from 30 years ago was built well enough to last 30+ years. This thing is probably made by Chinese slaves and will be lucky to last more than 30 days.

If it were done right, I'd be all for this device. Instead, it's lazy and lacks imagination. There's very little info on this anywhere I turn so I just have to assume that it is an NES looking emu that can't use real NES controllers (including the Zapper or turbo controllers), can't use the NES Four Score, can't play real NES carts, no Game Genie and will only ever be able to play the games included on it. It's a lazy cash grab and is likely going to be a VERY pale imitation of owning a real NES due to it's serious lack of features and compatibility. It is pure novelty.

EDIT: The only way I could see something like this being useful would be if I was on vacation somewhere and was dying to play from a very limited selection of NES games. The $60 price tag ruins that though since it isn't as cheap as other similar devices I've seen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:23:54 pm by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2016, 07:25:42 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:22:30 pm by FCandChill »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »
Fun fact … there are sites that have flash emulators so you can play NES games in your browser.

Playing NES games on a phone or computer is lame though. Especially if you want to play a two player game.

Anyway...

If they were really smart about this they would have done something like made a new cartridge format for it and starting licensing new games for it and re-releasing old ones with upgrades. But no, Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing anymore so...

EDIT: At least it has a decent selection of games, I guess.
EDIT: It also appears that the games will have extra save funcitons. That's cool, but not enough to make me want to buy one and since I hate emulation for actual gaming, I would actually buy one of these things if it weren't for the lack of features/options. What a waste...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 07:41:11 pm by SunGodPortal »

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2016, 08:51:18 pm »
I mean, really... Aside from the asthetics/nostalgia of the original NES design, what reason does anyone really have to get this thing over a Retron if they want an emulator in a box?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 09:47:57 pm by MegaManJuno »

tvtoon

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2016, 09:34:37 pm »
Still better than the WiiU, that doesn't have 30 games! >:D

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2016, 11:10:12 pm »
 Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:21:40 pm by FCandChill »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2016, 11:19:21 pm »
This thing would be a good gift from kids to their parents. I think alot of older gen are interested in this thing. Especially with Super Mario Bros. They really should have had duck hunt tho. Woulda cost more but with a pointer it woulda been a good device. They should sell a version like that with lots of zapper games.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:42 pm »
I'm very curious as to how far Nintendo will go with this thing.  I'd like to believe the decision to keep SNES emulation exclusive to the New 3DS was made out of a genuine concern to use a heavy-duty high-accuracy emulator.  If they go for the lowest bidder and release something with a flaky palette, it will be rather alarming.

But no, Nintendo doesn't know what they are doing anymore so...
Nintendo desperately needs to find some way to capitalize on all the people who think they know what Nintendo should be doing.  (I mean, do you think the market for this thing would be anywhere near what it would have been if Nintendo had already dumped its whole library on cell phones for 99 cents a piece, the way some people are advocating?)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2016, 11:49:00 pm »
The SNES emulators on the standard 3DS are so hacky that they don't really function very well. The one for the 3DS, Nintendo's official emulator, runs so much better in terms of compatibility and accuracy and etc etc.

I guess that's what happens when you over double your clock speed. Suddenly you can fucking do shit.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:22 am »
I would've too... my NES is really bad with pin connections. It's a side loader so the console gets damaged slowly each time you press a game down. I should get a top loader...

I know what you mean. I think I've owned at least 2 or 3 of the old toaster models. Those things can be very temperamental sometimes. I've currently got a top-loader that I keep my Powerpak in pretty much all the time. But due to another example of Nintendo's stupid design choices (I'm noticing a pattern here) it only has a shitty RF output. If I want to play this thing on an HD TV I'd probably have to get it modded and then buy a bunch of extra shit that I would only use for this purpose and still probably have gameplay issues because of lag. A legitimate NES (or a new and improved version) with an HDMI out would be nice and is something I would probably buy, but that's not what we're gonna get. They're probably gonna make a ton of money off of this thing but I cannot overstate how big of an opportunity they let walk right by them.

Nintendo desperately needs to find some way to capitalize on all the people who think they know what Nintendo should be doing.

Probably so since they've been so hit and miss since after the SNES. That system was damn near perfect. Then they goofed everything up with the N64 and haven't been the same since. Nintendo is a sad old hat. Right now it seems like they thrive on gimmicks and the market's nostalgia for their glory days which are far behind them. Nintendo's made a lot of good games and people have made a lot of good games for their systems so I want them to do better, but they make it so easy to hate them.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2016, 01:03:36 am »
Must a company's only focus be on innovation and hardcore fans' interests? I know there's lots of great stuff Nintendo could do. But I try to remember that even a company that is very large and powerful is still run by human beings who aren't perfect.

Is it ok for a game company to want to make money? They aren't making this thing very expensive; *I* can afford it, and I'm barely working at all right now. I appreciate the combination of economy, small form factor and game selection which is actually quite good. StarTropics is on there, so is Double Dragon 2 and Mega Man 2.

I dunno, I think holding a bunch of nerdy game developers to the standard of Renaissance Master Artistes who must produce nothing but deathless masterpieces every time is a bit hard nosed.
Yamero~~!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2016, 01:55:53 am »
I guess one of my main complaints here is that they made a quick and easy entry to the NES library that has no potential to grow beyond what it is when they could have very easily made this thing into a real NES with modern design upgrades and it would have been the new gold standard for playing NES games. No more playing on aging electronics that can't display properly on modern televisions without extra crap. No more endlessly searching for controllers or other accessories that aren't cheap Chinese knock-offs because the real thing hasn't been made for decades. If they were smarter about this they could have made money in the novelty market and satisfied hardcore fans of the NES but they have just proven that they don't have the imagination or foresight to accomplish such a goal. Their move here was almost as dumb as having the N64 use cartridges instead of CDs. It was right there staring them in the face the entire time but they just didn't see it.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 02:38:05 am »
Meh.. just feels like too little, too late.

Not to mention too limited, if there's no way to expand the library.
Just thought I'd mention since it was said this would be in HD: Kevtris and GameTechUS recently released their first batch of HD NES upgrades and they sold out in about 24 hours. GameTechUS is selling HD modded NES consoles on his website currently. They're pretty expensive - about $390 for the front loader (buying a front loader modded with HD graphics output) and like $300 or $270 or something for the top loader.

Here's a link in case anyone is interested. https://www.game-tech.us/shop/

Edit: Okay Jesus H. Christ the top loader price seems to have increased to $499.95 . Fuck the actual what. The front loader is still $390 and the mod packages were going for about $120 - $140.
Come with me if you want to live.

Bonk

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2016, 06:40:49 am »
I mean, really... Aside from the asthetics/nostalgia of the original NES design, what reason does anyone really have to get this thing over a Retron if they want an emulator in a box?

Well for ONE, this won't use illegally stolen software, violating OSS licenses and making money off the years of dedicated hard work of a myriad of individuals who do it out of passion, preservation in an open environment to promote collaboration.

(Hopefully that is)

Don't buy a Retron. (Or a Retro Game Freak, which is the same thing. A shitty basic android SOC in a box running stolen and modified Libretro) You are supporting lying scumbag fucks.

I would've too... my NES is really bad with pin connections. It's a side loader so the console gets damaged slowly each time you press a game down. I should get a top loader...

Or you can buy a Blinking Light Win.
https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw
Solves the problem. No more shitty ZIF, no super deathgrip (Just enough to keep in contact and snug). No more fiddling with the carts or toggling the tray. Stick the game in like a regular edge connector and you are done with it.

I'm surprised people around here don't know about that yet
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 06:46:16 am by Bonk »

MegaManJuno

• Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2016, 08:09:48 am »
For reference, I don't own a Retron or Game Freak (no need to, between emulation and still owning my original system since the 80s).

Just thinking from an average consumer's perspective, who isn't really "in the know" on the Retron history and such.

Just on paper, the Retron sounds like the much better deal.

* MegaManJuno shrugs

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2016, 09:42:42 am »
they could have very easily made this thing into a real NES
No, not very easily.

it would have been the new gold standard for playing NES games.
If there were that many people who were that interested in playing NES cartridges, RetroN and Messiah and all the other clone makers would be rolling in the dough.  The vast majority of people willing to pay for any such device are not interested in a "gold standard", and it's just not worth it trying to cater to that tiny fraction who would care. 
If they were smarter about this they could have made money
I'm sure they will make plenty of money this way.  Clearly they have no idea what they are doing.  :P
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2016, 10:48:07 am »
I see no difference between that and this:

It's a fun, cute thing for what it is. Not anything I would ever pay for. But, then again, I'm very much like Alton Brown in that I don't want a unitasker hooked up to my TV, but a lot of people are fine with it and will. Good selection of games it has on it though.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 10:55:00 am »
From a business standpoint: This is great, no doubt with all the hype and the low cost of production that they will move a lot of these out (my prediction is it will sell out similar to the beginning of the amiibo craze).

From the standpoint of a person who has a PC with a complete romset, solid emulators, and a USB controller: This thing is only interesting to have on your shelf so people come over and say "well, would you look at that". If they decided to add SD card support (no way in hell that will happen) it could be okay. Other than the aforementioned mapper problems, it would be fun to have around. It is still made worthless due to the raspberry Pi and any PC/smartphone.