News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.  (Read 36077 times)

Sliver X

• der Wille zur Macht
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
Re: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2016, 07:33:02 pm »
The CIC (anti-piracy mechanism) is the reason it does that crap.  The blinking screen is caused by a CIC desync so the NES thinks you're running an unauthorized cartridge and refuses to play it.  There's no other mechanical reason why games were so hard to get working on the NES.  And in fact... on the toploader... they weren't -- because the CIC was removed.  Toploader will run whatever you throw at it 99.9% of the time.

It's also really easy to fix this in a toaster unit if you cut pin 4 on the CIC chip. I did this myself to a unit in February and the results were splendid.

I do too now that my specific needs can be taken care of in a satisfactory manner elsewhere.

My three year old kid has less of a sense of entitlement than you've displayed in this thread. If you don't like the new unit, don't buy it. Nintendo doesn't owe you shit.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2016, 09:44:59 pm »
My three year old kid has less of a sense of entitlement than you've displayed in this thread. If you don't like the new unit, don't buy it. Nintendo doesn't owe you shit.

EDIT: You know, even though I feel like I had the right to say what I did here I'm just gonna remove my comment. No sense in throwing gas on a fire.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:20:24 am by SunGodPortal »
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2016, 02:46:29 am »
Ye but hey you know video games serious bidness. ;D
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2016, 02:59:34 am »
Ye but hey you know video games serious bidness. ;D

Maybe I was just so disappointed because of how difficult it is for me to masturbate to anything that isn't in HD. ;)
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2016, 04:58:49 am »
http://www.usgamer.net/articles/hallelujah-wisdom-tree-gives-the-classic-mini-nes-a-holy-and-wholly-unlicensed-counterpart - well, look who wants to jump on the bandwagon. :D If this keeps up we can expect the Action 52: Reloaded kickstarter or something along these lines very soon.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2016, 03:04:18 pm »
how is this any different from the atari flashback, or a retron? also where is the famicom version?

Pros: potentially less lag than using a traditional emulator
Cons: still an emulator (not using genuine hardware), limited A/V output, limited library, wrong colors (don't match an original system)

Honestly it's clear nintendo isn't taking this very seriously if there isn't even a way to buy games individually, and the thing has clearly gotta be super cheap to make so the quality can only be so good.

it's just sad when fans, hobbyists, and part timers produce products of such higher quality than nintendo.

Let me put it to you this way Spoony, if this didn't have Nintendo's name branded on it, would you even give it a second look? If not, then how does putting nintendo on the front change anything.

I'm not saying it won't sell, it will sell like hot cakes, but for those in the know, it's a bad, lazy design. This is from the company that uses iNES headers in their VC ROMs.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:17:29 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »
for those in the know, it's a bad, lazy design.

Or, is it an economical, market-based design? They know that anyone with half a brain and a decent computer can play any NES games they want to.

Why not jump in and appeal to their loyalists with a cheap, sleek, simple console that has HD output?

Yamero~~!

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2016, 06:42:09 pm »
Emulators require you to buy expensive equipment in most cases. Like a pc or a phone, then you gotta buy a controller. This plug in play thing only requires you have a tv, which most people already have. 60 bucks and you get 150 dollars worth of virtual console games.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2016, 06:56:47 pm »
Emulators require you to buy expensive equipment in most cases. Like a pc or a phone, then you gotta buy a controller. This plug in play thing only requires you have a tv, which most people already have. 60 bucks and you get 150 dollars worth of virtual console games.
I can get a computer that far surpasses the system requirements for NES games at ~$30. That includes everything needed except for a monitor, which a TV can act quite well as. also controllers are only $10. that will bring you to about $50 once you include shipping.
(unless you got amazon prime, which is free 2 day shipping. so why the hell don't you have it yet? Just do it.)

Honestly, the only reason anyone on this board should buy this thing is to tell Nintendo "make more things like this".

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2016, 07:06:10 pm »
Yeah, but then you'd have to live with the shame of still using windows xp in 2016. Thanks for the advice tho. I do want Nintendo to make more things like this. Mini SNES here I come! If anyone should be profiting off their own systems it's Nintendo.

jonk

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 19, 2016, 07:15:32 pm »
There are problems using a tv, as you suggest, though. TVs that are sold as TVs in this market generally buffer their displays and perform other processing behind the scenes, before presenting them frame by frame. The frames themselves are staged accurately. But there is a delay -- a noticeable delay -- between the HDMI input source and the visual presentation on the screen seen by our eyes. For some games, this isn't a problem. But for others, it's terrible. For example, I play a very good game of Dr. Mario and I can't play it satisfactorily on any TV I've tried. This mini-NES unit includes Dr. Mario. But I am pretty certain, given a lot of recent experience already, that existing TV systems will NOT play it satisfactorily for expert players. It may play okay for learners. But I very much doubt it, for expert players.

I can play Dr. Mario quite satisfactorily on at least some computer monitors that accept HDMI (those I've tried.) This was using an original NES unit where I've added any of several rather cheap ($20) composite to HDMI converters that are available (this or this or this.) So even with the mini-NES, I think some of us will still require a computer monitor accepting HDMI, as opposed to using a TV.

But as I also mentioned earlier, you do NOT have to buy expensive equipment these days, though. The ORDOID-C2 board includes H.265 4K at 60fps and H.264 4K at 30fps (using an on-board VPU) that drives a standard 4k HDMI w/audio. It includes a Mali-450 GPU that includes 3 pixel-processors and 2 vertex shader processors, and includes 4 USB 2.0 host ports, a USB OTG port, ethernet connector for a router cable, plus a 2GHz quad core cpu with 2GB DDR3 ram. That costs $40 (in single retail units.) Existing software already supports smart TV support for netflix, amazon prime, and a bevy of other such services; plus supports acting as a local area media server; plus provides arcade and quite a few game machine emulators already. A difference is that the new mini-NES unit under discussion includes two Wii connectors, which the ODROID-C2 lacks. But the C2 does have 4 USB 2.0 connectors which can be used with controllers already being applied with USB with existing emulators ported to the C2.
An equal right to an opinion isn't a right to an equal opinion. -- 1995, me
Saying religion is the source of morality is like saying a squirrel is the source of acorns.  -- 2002, me

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:35 pm »
Yeah, but then you'd have to live with the shame of still using windows xp in 2016. Thanks for the advice tho. I do want Nintendo to make more things like this. Mini SNES here I come! If anyone should be profiting off their own systems it's Nintendo.
Im using windows 7, and have 0 problems. my brother uses windows 10, and has 0 problems. are there any I should know about?

And I would have far more interest in the mini SNES, even if just for a set piece.

Ravenfreak

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2016, 10:49:45 pm »
Is it bad that I actually want one of these, despite that you can't add any new ROMs to it and they don't plan on adding more? Anyways, Sega seems to be ahead of Nintendo, but the Atgames Genesis clones are crap! And since this will be an official Nintendo licensed product, it'll be high quality. And since I do have a Wii U, my understanding is the controller will be compatible with the Wii U too. (Which I do own one of those...)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2016, 11:18:17 pm »
Pros: potentially less lag than using a traditional emulator
Cons: still an emulator (not using genuine hardware), limited A/V output, limited library, wrong colors (don't match an original system)
I would think HDMI output would be more than enough for the intended audience.  And we don't know the slightest thing about what they'll be doing with the color palette yet.  I would presume it would be the same as the Wii/Wii U/3DS Virtual Console, and doesn't that match an original system well enough?  Seems to me plenty of people don't even like the true "original" NES palette anyway – hence the different palettes available in the NESRGB mod.
http://retrorgb.com/nespics.html

It's more than a little early to say that they "taking this seriously".
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Jeville

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 20, 2016, 12:31:58 am »
Wii U VC is worse than Wii VC. Wii VC doesn't have the dark filter that Wii U has.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2016, 07:06:03 am »
I can get a computer that far surpasses the system requirements for NES games at ~$30. That includes everything needed except for a monitor, which a TV can act quite well as. also controllers are only $10. that will bring you to about $50 once you include shipping.
(unless you got amazon prime, which is free 2 day shipping. so why the hell don't you have it yet? Just do it.)

Honestly, the only reason anyone on this board should buy this thing is to tell Nintendo "make more things like this".

You didnt account the price of the games, and licensing seem to be a big part of that price tag
_-|-_

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2016, 07:48:29 am »
Im using windows 7, and have 0 problems. my brother uses windows 10, and has 0 problems. are there any I should know about?

And I would have far more interest in the mini SNES, even if just for a set piece.

I'm talking about that 30 dollar used pc you intended to buy.

Edit: Oh you mean one of those little handheld pc's. Well, you can't just spend 30 dollars and call it a day. You got to buy a ac adapter, mouse, keyboard, controller, hdmi cord, then you gotta download and install an OS, emulators, roms. Good luck gifting that to your parents.

I can't believe you'd rather give your parents this:

Instead of this:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 07:54:10 am by MathUser2929 »

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2016, 08:39:39 am »
Um we all already have decent enough PCs for NES emulation.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2016, 08:50:14 am »
"You got to buy a"
ac adapter
Many TVs have a USB port on capable of powering it. So £1 for a cable.

Mouse
You reckon? Phones/tablets do a lot for remote control. Still £1 for a nice enough mouse actually. Seriously, I have a bunch of poundland mice in service, they will never be gaming or graphics editor grade but they are optical, feel OK and have a scroll wheel.

Keyboard
Again I am not sure it is necessary and I have not seen a £1 keyboard so I might have to contemplate this. That or consider that most serious things here are either done over SSH or have an on screen keyboard.

controller
This is tricky as to whether I go bluetooth, 360 USB or something else, or did you mean media remote. I do splash out for remotes here if I can not reliably expect network control just because and I don't know how cheap they can go. I would say HDMI cec but that is a bit of a joke.

hdmi cord
£1 again.

"then you gotta download and install an OS, emulators, roms."
http://www.berryterminal.com/doku.php/berryboot

"I can't believe you'd rather give your parents this:"
That case is poor, I would have hoped they had at least heard of acetone washing but eh. Crappy 3d printing is not the only option either http://thepihut.com/collections/raspberry-pi-cases?sort_by=price-ascending differs from commercial in only that they don't have mould marks for CE and whatever else splashed over them.
Also a device that also doubles as a serious media box and also does OK at web browsing, maybe netbook grade useful and streets ahead of any "smart" TV. This vs similarly priced system for limited amount of older games only.

Granted my parents/grandparents either taught me a significant chunk of what I know or are used to it from me, however I would still say it is viable for those that would colour match their DVD player to the TV.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2016, 09:46:25 am »
You have to go along way to prove a point. You can't control a pc with a controller unless you install some software that does that and make it auto boot. I imagine navigating a desktop with a dpad can't be too great. If you wanna use a mouse then you have to get a extra long cord that runs to a couch from your tv since your pc has to be plugged into a tv with a short 1 dollar cord. Don't tell me you'd use a wireless mouse cause I had one. You gotta shut it off when you aren't using it otherwise it drains the battery. The slightest nudge activates it again. Good luck convincing people you just gave them a good gift, not the cheapest of cheap pc's. For extra LOL's you should leave the 1 dollar price tag on all the parts you buy for it.