News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.  (Read 36085 times)

maseter

• View Profile
Re: The HD Mini-NES is a thing.
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2016, 05:19:41 pm »
This thing will make a great Raspberry Pi case, with enough room to also fit one of those MayFlash Wii Classic Controller to USB adapters:

They will also sell additional controllers for $9.99! Imagine that, a genuine, new, classic Nintendo controller for that cheap. I wonder if they use the very same molds and if the original controller pcbs will fit, crossing my fingers and holding my breath!

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2016, 05:42:28 pm »
They will also sell additional controllers for $9.99! Imagine that, a genuine, new, classic Nintendo controller for that cheap.

I don't know when it was the last time you used those controllers, but they're not as good as you remember.  Their tiny size, and sharp corners make them pretty uncomfortable.  I'd much rather have the "dog bone" redesign controller -- but even those aren't spectacular.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2016, 06:12:32 pm »
I don't know when it was the last time you used those controllers, but they're not as good as you remember.  Their tiny size, and sharp corners make them pretty uncomfortable.  I'd much rather have the "dog bone" redesign controller -- but even those aren't spectacular.

Definately. I would much rather have the dogbone controller. I don't go for sharp d-pads.

drunkenmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »
I see no difference between that and this:

It's a fun, cute thing for what it is. Not anything I would ever pay for. But, then again, I'm very much like Alton Brown in that I don't want a unitasker hooked up to my TV, but a lot of people are fine with it and will. Good selection of games it has on it though.

Or this:
.//drunkenmaverick

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2016, 07:08:30 pm »
If there were that many people who were that interested in playing NES cartridges, RetroN and Messiah and all the other clone makers would be rolling in the dough.  The vast majority of people willing to pay for any such device are not interested in a "gold standard", and it's just not worth it trying to cater to that tiny fraction who would care.

You're missing the point here, which is what could have very easily been. This will still be a useful device but had they just had more of an imagination and been a little more ambitious with it they could have made far more money from it than they will. This thing has no place to go. It is a static product with no potential for add-ons, upgrades or more games.

I'm sure they will make plenty of money this way.  Clearly they have no idea what they are doing.  :P

You don't make much of a point by quoting half of a sentence just for the sake of making a joke.
Cigarettes, ice-cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary...

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:14 pm »

NES Classic Mini - is it Hi-Def NES competition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgz8ldu2riE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:42:52 pm by resq »
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2016, 07:44:38 pm »
Nobody have anything to say about Kevtris' NES HD upgrade packages? It's kindof a revoulitionary thing. It's never even been done before.

Kevtris and GameTechUS HD NES buy it now  :happy: Nobody ever played this before because it never existed before. And nobody wants to comment about it?

Really?

https://www.game-tech.us/shop/

NES Classic Mini - is it Hi-Def NES competition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgz8ldu2riE

Holy crap those prices are high. I guess they don't expect to sell many of them. There are consoles that are powerful enough to emulate the NES that were cheaper than that brand new.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »
 Yea.

Considering there are probaby millions of people who have NES and want HD in the United States - it probably isn't a longshot to presume the effort might be making massive amounts of money especially since it's a one of a kind deal.

I personally would love to have a HD NES console. I wouldn't pay four hundred for it but I bet there are a bunch of rich fuggers out there who would. . .

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 07:58:42 pm »
I personally would love to have a HD NES console.

Hook your computer up to a big screen.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2016, 08:08:49 pm »
Hook your computer up to a big screen.
A big screen is bigger but it isn't big screen or in HD.

:crazy: :woot!: :banghead:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:45:37 pm by resq »

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2016, 08:18:57 pm »
Is this a joke? Yea I could do that but you're kindof missing the point. NES doesn't push HD graphics.

Does the mini-NES?  I haven't seen anything that indicates the graphics are remade to be HD -- only that it comes bundled with an HDMI cable which doesn't mean anything.  I was under the impression that this thing was just a normal emulator-in-a-box.

At least with software emulators you can apply graphics filters to scale up the resolution.

EDIT:

My post might not make sense because I jumped into the end of a conversation and skipped over most of it.  So nevermind.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2016, 10:22:27 pm »
nevermind.
uhh okay? I think people should buy Kevtris and GameTechUS products. These people are at the precipice of NES game modding develpment. They can only be ursurped by the Japanese translator people.

Those Jap Tran users are silly along the lines of Dr. Evil and such.  >:D :angel: >:D :angel: :police: :thumbsup:

wow okay I'm going to leave this here because it's hilarious and retarded. what the fuck was I talking about?? holy crap.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:52:18 pm by resq »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2016, 03:15:23 am »
You guys are lucky I've got a couple glasses of Merlot in me...makes me laugh  :laugh:

This is a cool little thing from Nintendo for a change. I have been rather unimpressed with them for a while. They are smarter than I gave them credit for.
Yamero~~!

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2016, 03:20:26 am »
Is this a joke? Yea I could do that but you're kindof missing the point. NES doesn't push HD graphics. Only the Kevtris/GameTechUS expantion port pushes this.

A big screen is bigger but it isn't big screen or in HD.

:crazy: :woot!: :banghead:

What? I could play NES games on my 4K TV from my computer right now with no additional hardware gimmicks. With way more upscaling options than that NES mod.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2016, 08:07:43 am »
An idea that someone made a mockup of:
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2016, 09:05:31 am »
An idea that someone made a mockup of:

:thumbsup:

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2016, 01:17:10 pm »
You're missing the point here, which is what could have very easily been. This will still be a useful device but had they just had more of an imagination and been a little more ambitious with it they could have made far more money from it than they will. This thing has no place to go. It is a static product with no potential for add-ons, upgrades or more games.
And if they had made a more sophisticated device, the price would have gone up considerably.  Far more people would be turned off by a higher price than there are people interested in "add-ons, upgrades or more games".  How can you say there would be "far more money" to be made?

I'm so very tired of the argument that "[Company] isn't making products that I like; therefore [company] is run by complete idiots who will run [company] into bankruptcy; I am so much smarter than anyone at [company]; I know this because I bought the last dozen releases by [company] and I hated all of them."

Imagine that, a genuine, new, classic Nintendo controller for that cheap.
Well, no, they're not "genuine, new, classic" since they'll have that Wii connector on the end of the cable and not the standard NES connector.  And I very much doubt that making them NES-compatible will be a trivial operation, simply because electronics have changed a lot in thirty years, but I guess it isn't beyond the realm of possibility.

... But I guess that's why you're contemplating swapping in the original controller pcbs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:26:48 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2016, 01:22:38 pm »
On the other hand, I can't believe people are being duped into buying this stuff.

Honestly, how is this any different from playing NEStopia (with an extremely limited game selection and no hacks) on a big screen?  I guess you get to use the classic controller....
+1

Probably it won't even come with the NTSC filter, making games not look like they were originally supposed to.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2016, 01:49:32 pm »
You guys are lucky I've got a couple glasses of Merlot in me...makes me laugh  :laugh:

Yea I was fuller than a bitch. I'm going back now editing all the stupid shit I said. :laugh:

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2016, 04:28:53 pm »
And if they had made a more sophisticated device, the price would have gone up considerably.

Yeah right. Each one of these things is probably produced for $3 a piece by Chinese children and like nearly everything else these days made in China it will be made from the cheapest, substitute grade materials the Earth has to offer.

How can you say there would be "far more money" to be made?

Because it's simple. This is a stand alone device that has no place to grow. If it was a device that you could buy more games and accessories for then that's more stuff to sell and longer that it will likely have a place in the market. There's hundreds of games for the NES and we all know that Nintendo isn't above reselling us the same crap over and over again. The least they can do is make it worth it.