News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Did the Mega Man X Collection for PS2 have missing sound effects?  (Read 3256 times)

Kallisto

• View Profile
I'm playing MMX2 SNES version right now (been testing out MSU-1 patch), and I've noticed some sound effects that I really do not recall hearing before...unless my memory of the MMX collection is inaccurate. Maybe some of the sounds are a bit more pronounced due to higher level of volume now thanks to the patch?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:33:53 am by Kallisto »

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
Re: Did the Mega Man X Collection for PS2 have missing sound effects?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 03:51:36 pm »
Likely bad sound emus on the PS2.

Laboring under the illusion that Capcom gave a darn about the sound emulation in that Anniversary Collection is like thinking that a musician loves you personally when they announce to 30,000 people "We love you, good night!"

...Most ports to new systems are done using emulators that are hard coded onto the disc, I think? FF6 on PSOne was particularly bad.
Yamero~~!

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 08:40:55 pm »
Yes, there are missing sound effects from the games of the series. They all have minor issues:

MMX: missing voice clip for Hadoken
MMX2: broken HDMA fade-in effect in Centipede's stage
MMX3: saturn version, so you can skip all maverick stages
MMX4-X6: all sound was reprocessed DOWN, and the volume reduced. this lowered the overall music quality.
MMX6: broken timers for all destructables in Metal Shark Player's stage
MMX6: broken timer for Gate, when he moves right to left and turns around

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:13:01 pm »
Was it just as bad on the Gamecube?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 02:16:00 am »
Can't say myself, since I haven't played that version.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 05:07:42 am »
Interesting...I guess the average player wouldn't notice these unless they really listened.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 06:30:52 pm »
...Most ports to new systems are done using emulators that are hard coded onto the disc, I think? FF6 on PSOne was particularly bad.
Yep, the sound quality on the Square SNES-to-PS1 ports was definitely on par with fan emulators.
(it was not until the DS version of Chrono Trigger that they cared enough for accurate sound port. At least from I remember. I do remember they at least fixed the sound effects I could distinctly recall broken. The wind, the growling... I never played far enough on emulators to see Lightning2 but I've heard that was a frequently broken sound effect.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Lenophis

• Discord Staff
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:34:02 pm »
Laboring under the illusion that Capcom gave a darn about the sound emulation in that Anniversary Collection is like thinking that a musician loves you personally when they announce to 30,000 people "We love you, good night!"
Believe it or not, but Capcom USA did give a damn. They went far above and beyond by doing basically what Maverick Hunter X was, but for the anniversary collection. All of the work was forced to be scrapped, though, since parent company said "lolnope."

And, as we all know, the Maverick Hunter series reboot never got off the ground, so all of that work was lost.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 06:59:22 am »
Believe it or not, but Capcom USA did give a damn. They went far above and beyond by doing basically what Maverick Hunter X was, but for the anniversary collection. All of the work was forced to be scrapped, though, since parent company said "lolnope."

Parent company being...Capcom? ...I think that I said Capcom, didn't I? Didn't know they'd done so much work that the bigwigs just threw in the can. That'd probably really grind my gears, being a passionate artist type. I suppose that's why you don't see too many people like me attempting to get into making games, though...

And, as we all know, the Maverick Hunter series reboot never got off the ground, so all of that work was lost.

Shame too...whoever directed the voice acting seems to have given a darn about it, enough to tell X's VA "I want X to scream at Sigma right before the final fight." You just don't hear a lot of screamed lines in anything anymore...I dunno if it's sound engineers being precious about line level or clipping or what, but I miss when drama could just be drama. Overproduction is the new production, it would seem...
Yamero~~!

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2017, 10:34:11 am »
Just another reason why Independent Developers have become more of a trend lately, and this is particularly pissing off the big wigs since they can't suck the money out of them.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 01:42:04 am »
Was it just as bad on the Gamecube?

I can answer that, and no. The GameCube version was as perfect as they could make it. There are a few places where the sound effects are a bit muffled compared to the SNES, but all the sounds[effects and BGM] are present. The muffling problem was also present on the MegaMan Anniversary Collection so the theory is that it is a slight volume problem instead of an emulation issue. It's not that noticeable unless you run them side-by-side.