News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.  (Read 2950 times)

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
« on: February 24, 2017, 01:15:04 am »
Sheng Long aka Shenron, is also known as The Dragon God. The thing that Goku calls to revive Piccolo and Vegeta all the time, and the one on Namek is really big...and it doesn't speak English?

Ryu's 'dragon punch' attack in Street Fighter II (the world warrior) was somehow transliterated as "sheng long" in his win quote. I guess things get misinterpreted in the hectic schedule of a game whose fade ins to fights include the background graphics doing some really weird things, and which contains a blonde spiky haired military character which can hold the other 11 fighters off with one hand and comb his hair with another. :D

Anyhoo. Told you that story to tell you this one. In April 1997, Electronic Gaming Monthly revived their long-standing "Fight against Sheng Long" April Fools joke, which seemed pretty legit this time, as it was a story about Street Fighter III, which was not yet out, if I remember correctly.

I happened to notice something strange in the article, and wrote one of my very first emails to them. :)

(email address hidden, natch)

They said hardly anyone guessed it, and that was the only time they published a letter of mine. It was in the June 1997 issue, by the way. If I'm not mistaken (I was a subscriber at the time), people noticed my letter (they printed a small excerpt) and began to write in letters that did the same sort of "first-letter-of-ever-sentence-spells-a-message" kind of dealy. Some of them were really silly, to be honest.

:D Just thought I'd share with y'all. Do you remember Sheng Long? Hehehe. I understand Gouken regularly appears in SF rosters these days.
Yamero~~!

NERV Agent

• Restricted Access
  • Eva Unit 01
    • View Profile
    • Watch my anime shitposts on YouTube! Smell them, too!
Re: You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:50:46 am »
John, are you related to Chuck Norris?

CrocMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:58:13 am »
An April Fools' joke, hey? That was very shrewd of you to notice! :laugh:

As far as videogame scams goes I remember 2 noticeable ones in French magazines:

1- Player One n°41 (April 94): those weasels published a fake code for Street Fighter II Dash for the Megadrive. Supposedly this cheat allowed you to fight against Dee Jay from Super Street Fighter II (click on the screenshots to enlarge):

2- Joypad n°30 (April 94): this time the fake news was about Sharp Corporation, allegedly on the verge of releasing a 128 bits console that looked like a Star Trek starship: Project Entreprise!! Mwhahaha! Also in 1994 talking about 128 bits stuff was friggin' surreal:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:04:31 am by CrocMagnum »
Pity the world if you fail Spirit Monk, for you are the last. (Jade Empire)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:49:21 am »

The rumor mostly took off cause EGM published a fake cheat how to fight him. Some magazines reprinted the trick before they found out it was a April fools joke.

SleepyFist

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 10:32:24 am »
Anyone remember Nintendo's Project M? No? I do, I was somehow dumb enough at one point, to think that Nintendo was actually developing warp pipes.
https://www.dkoldies.com/blog/april-fools-5-incredible-nintendo-power-pranks/
https://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-pktq5q/ymgqt/product_images/uploaded_images/pm3apr12016.jpg?t=1459538522
Project M was the code name of a "top secret" transportation system that Nintendo was allegedly developing. According to the 2001 April issue of Nintendo Power, Mario's warp pipes would soon be a reality. The devices first seen in 1st Super Mario Bros. video game for the Nintendo NES, were supposedly capable of instantaneously teleporting users across thousands of miles. However, the article was also quick to state that the system was not yet perfected, even offering a laundry list of health risks its testers were experiencing including "disintegration." Considering it has nothing to do with gaming, and that it was given a full, two-page spread, this one is just too weird not to make my list.

I'd heard of Sheng Long, but long after it was debunked, I mostly spent my time chasing after Gannon Jr and the fourth triforce among other things.... http://www.eeggs.com/ was always full of stuff like that.

Spooniest

• Kuru zotsu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 05:08:16 pm »
John, are you related to Chuck Norris?

Not to my knowledge. However, I did have a Chuck Norris Karate Kommandos action figure as a child.

Since you seem so interested in my surname, I'll tell you another fun fact: its derivation is really not known well, but speculated to be from either the french "nourice" ("to nourish") or some kind of word for "person from the north."
Yamero~~!