News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Loading Custom NES Palette in Nesticle DOS  (Read 4255 times)

MysteryMan3D

• View Profile
Loading Custom NES Palette in Nesticle DOS
« on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:21 am »
All right, I wanna use a custom NES palette in the DOS version of Nesticle X.XX. I know it can create them, but I can't figure out how to load them so it automatically loads them every time I play ROMs.

Is it possible to load them? If so, how?

Axiphel

• View Profile
Re: Loading Custom NES Palette in Nesticle DOS
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 10:50:40 am »
I know this is besides the point but why are you using Nesticle?

House

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 02:41:46 pm »
All right, I wanna use a custom NES palette in the DOS version of Nesticle X.XX. I know it can create them, but I can't figure out how to load them so it automatically loads them every time I play ROMs.

Is it possible to load them? If so, how?

Forget about Nesticle, the only NES emulator that can reliably do such things is HDNES. Unfortunately it too seems to be abandoned.

Try this                                                                                                      https://github.com/mkwong98/HDNes
http://forums.nesdev.com/download/file.php?id=2733&sid=2498c9ab715cc2e0240d3dff12a1bf30
http://forums.nesdev.com/download/file.php?id=2170&sid=2498c9ab715cc2e0240d3dff12a1bf30
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 03:57:11 pm by House »

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 04:36:38 pm »
Plenty of NES emulators can use custom palettes. Like Nestopia.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:07:34 am »
Custom palettes?  That's a thing for Nestopia and FCEUX at least.  Replacing palettes =/= replacing graphics by a long shot.

I know this is besides the point but why are you using Nesticle?
Nostalgia, or maybe they dredged up a Nesticle only thing.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
To be honnest I'd have as much nostalgia to play games under the good old extremely inacurate Nesticle than the NES itself.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 02:00:30 pm »
I'm glad I don't have this weird self punishing nostalgia thing. lol

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 06:15:25 am »
Then what are you doing on this site ?! It's about romhacking on retro consoles.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:14:26 am »
Then what are you doing on this site ?! It's about romhacking on retro consoles.

What does that have to do with playing on outdated emulators? I come here for ways to make my experience better than it was back in the day. Not for ways to degrade it cause nostalgia.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:44:28 am by Axiphel »

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 10:05:47 pm »
Is the palette stored in hex in any of the supporting files for Nesticle? If so, it could be edited manually.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2016, 12:33:40 pm »
I know that some people keep a DOS version of ZSNES around for nostalgic reasons too.

Eh, whatever.  I never really got the nostalgia factor myself but I realize that I'm just different in that regard.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 04:04:20 pm »
Is the palette stored in hex in any of the supporting files for Nesticle? If so, it could be edited manually.
It really depends on each person's experience. Personally I spend just as much if not more time playing games on Nesticle on my 486 PC as I didn't have a real NES yet. I am aware most people have a different life experience.

I do not play in Nesticle anymore, but I know I'll feel nostalgia when I do.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 09:03:00 pm »
I can make it, but someone's got to tell me what the replacement palette should be.

Just an accurate to real NES palette?
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 09:05:43 pm »
NESticle embedded its default palette into the main EXE in v0.43, but *should* be able to load an external palette: You'll notice in NESTICLE.INI the line "-palfile Nesticle.pal" which defines this, but in vX.XXX, at least, it apparently ignores it. I'm assuming this is a bug, since even editing the palette in the emulator then saving it directly by NESticle itself doesn't load the palette it dumped after closing and rerunning the application.

You can either drop back to earlier versions and see how they behave at the expense of much worse sound emulation and losing several mappers or figure out where to hack Nesticle.exe to change the internal palette.

In regards to this, when I was unemployed and bored to death like 9 years ago I made a compilation of palettes I ripped from dozens of emulators, which you can find here.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2016, 09:14:35 pm »
@SliverX

Have you noticed the 2 new 'more accurate' palettes developed by people over at nesdev? One by Kizul and other by FirebrandX. Both better than any emulator I've used.
nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

Sliver X

• LIBERA·TE·EX·INFERIS
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2016, 11:36:27 pm »
@SliverX

Have you noticed the 2 new 'more accurate' palettes developed by people over at nesdev? One by Kizul and other by FirebrandX. Both better than any emulator I've used.

I have not, thanks. I will check them out after this post.

I've also confirmed that, yes, loading external palettes is broken in x.xx. It works fine in 0.43 (either by editing NESTICLE.INI or passing the -palfile WHATEVER.PAL switch when invoking the emulator), though!

There were some changes to the sound emulation between 0.43 and x.xx according to the NESticle changelog but listening to Dragoon X Omega II (A hack I composed the score for myself, so I'm intimately familiar with it) I can't tell a difference?

Aside from that, support for the VS arcade games, some timing issue fixes (Magician is explicitly mentioned in the changelog) and support for ancient PC gamepads that probably six people on earth still use there shouldn't be much of a difference going back to that version if palettes are important to you.