News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years  (Read 2977 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years
« on: July 11, 2016, 01:12:28 pm »
Allows loading games from USB via the expansion card port, plans on making boards available for sale. Will open up doors to homebrew communities and preservation of the console's functionality for years beyond the CD drive croaking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Sega Saturn copy protection cracked after 22 years
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 02:12:56 pm »
Has it happened now then? I recall hearing some people toying with it a few years ago.

Might have to go back and have a look too as there are several saturn games I neglected to try out.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:23 pm »
^Supposedly, it has happened before with SD cards.

But I'm guessing that it was unsuccesful, and nothing compared to what this guy did.

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:41:06 am »
Seems cool from a quick skimming (no time to watch the full 1/2 hour video at the moment).

Although, the thread title seems maybe a little misleading. It sounds like it's saying this is the first time copy protection has been cracked on the Saturn in 22 years... yet, I have a board in mine from the late 90s that allows backups to run.  :P

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:48:08 am »
I copied the thread from neogaf. I suppose I could have come up with a better title, but what's more important in is the info. People will be able to stick something to the back of their Saturns (probably all models) and run isos. You could have a complete collection of games and translations. It sure beats trying to find a mod chip that they no longer make. Plus you dont need the disc drive anymore. As the title says, those are failing left right and center these days.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 08:49:45 am »
This is awesome!
Wasn't there a similar thing for the PS(one)?

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 10:25:04 am »
^Supposedly, it has happened before with SD cards.

But I'm guessing that it was unsuccesful, and nothing compared to what this guy did.
I remember this, but I also remember everyone saying it wasn't going to happen.  I'm guessing it was either a scam or some sort of wall was hit during development.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 10:29:48 am »
The guy in the video has been working on this since 2013. He also mentioned trying SD cards but using USB instead cause it has more storage. It might be the same guy.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 10:40:46 am »
Wasn't there a similar thing for the PS(one)?
There is, started out as plug'n'play and tons of features planned - turned out to have little compatibility, huge limitations, contains stolen code, and requires soldering to even boot.

tl;dr: pretend it doesn't exist.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

SC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 10:47:11 am »
There is, started out as plug'n'play and tons of features planned - turned out to have little compatibility, huge limitations, contains stolen code, and requires soldering to even boot.

tl;dr: pretend it doesn't exist.

Oh dear, you destroyed my hopes! lol
I only heard about it long ago when it was just announced.
Too bad! I'll have to stick to good old method...

P.S.: Oh, and looking forward for more PS dev stuff from you, Gemini! :cookie:

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 01:30:09 pm »
Looks like its about time for me to buy a Saturn.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| High Pulp - Bad Juice|| https://youtu.be/6V-BtwkGoaY

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 11:41:59 pm »
I wonder if this accomplishment might be good for both emulators*, and mod-chip/USB GD-ROM replacement makers.

*Speaking of emulators, if nobody has noticed, Yabause has been constantly getting updated from their official Github page. I wonder if they might take this discovery at their emulation advantage.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:47:46 pm by John Enigma »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:16 pm »
I wonder if they might take this discovery at their emulation advantage.
He says in the video that he has been talking with emu developers about the whole thing. My guess would be that he contributed to that one.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 11:54:49 pm »
^Probably them (the Yabause dev team). If not, then he's probably talking to the SSF developers, which is impossible, because they haven't updated the SSF emulator in a while (the latest version being 0.12, which was released in June 08, 2013).

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2016, 04:17:29 pm »
I'm really excited about this development, and the guy behind it.

I'm disappointed in the press though, Sega Saturn copy protection hasn't been cracked yet, you still won't be able to put a CD-R in the Saturn with this method, he tried but hasn't figured that out yet. Hopefully we will fully understand the chip he is studying now and have that fully defeated eventually.

I would hate for people to quit so close to the finish line.
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »
I agree that it's an exciting development to see the Saturn being better understood. But I feel the same about the loader as I do about the 3DO drive replacement and to a lesser extent the Dreamcast SD loaders out there - cool but not for me. The games came on disks. I want to put a disk in the drive. In the Saturn's case, overcoming the copy protection will be critical eventually as will coming up with aftermarket drives because the latter will burn out and the disks will all eventually fall to rot. Popping a USB stick into plastic case clearly designed to accept a disk misses the point for me completely. I know it's "original hardware" but the feeling is lost and at that point is no more satisfying than just using an emulator.
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:55:25 am »
EDIT:

Nvm, I had something in mind to say, but I didn't think about other factors on why that would not work.

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 12:11:25 pm »
I'm not so worried about using a disc, I don't mind using solid state tech, I just think all game hardware should be fully reverse engineered and understand first for preservation and secondly so we can do more with it software wise without having to cut it open.

There was a similar situation with the CPS2 arcade hardware for awhile, someone figured out a mod to keep it from suiciding, but because of that for a long time no one tried to truly understand the security. But thankfully last year someone did finally crack it properly
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2016, 01:34:12 am »
The Saturn is pretty durable all except the laser. I'm really glad he is doing this, but hopefully the emulation aspect will start to catch up, and the problems with the Saturn will be over.

Right now emulation any other device just acts up, and I think Libretro is still trying to figure this out, but they did recently get a major breakthrough with N64 thank goodness.

maseter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 03:00:23 am »
I want to put a disk in the drive. In the Saturn's case, overcoming the copy protection will be critical eventually as will coming up with aftermarket drives because the latter will burn out and the disks will all eventually fall to rot. Popping a USB stick into plastic case clearly designed to accept a disk misses the point for me completely. I know it's "original hardware" but the feeling is lost and at that point is no more satisfying than just using an emulator.

I disagree completely, not having to deal with those god damned discs anymore is a blessing! But nothing prevents you from putting random blanks into the a disconnected Saturn CD-ROM, and then still play of the USB thing, if it's rituals you like :).