News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 86858 times)

JoeltCo

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #240 on: January 02, 2018, 10:45:08 pm »
In the first part of the game, when I get the leather shield, it just says leather, with no symbol next to it. Is that supposed to be that way, or did I download the wrong Rom version?

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:33 am »
King Sasune, in his initial dialogue, has two grammar errors.
He says in two separate sentences, "...unless if..."

1)
" We cannot regain our
  normal forms unless if
  the Djinn is defeated."

suggested edit:

" We cannot regain our
  normal forms until the
  Djinn is defeated."

2)
"King: The Djinn is hiding
  in the Sealed Cave, north
  of this castle. But, we
  cannot banish the Djinn
[/]
  once again unless if we
  had a Mythril Ring..."

suggested edit:

"King: The Djinn is hiding
  in the Sealed Cave, north
  of this castle. But, we
  cannot banish the Djinn
[/]
  unless we once again
  had a Mythril Ring..."

DavidtheIdeaMan

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:59 am »
I haven't been paying to this project for Final Fantasy III for the Nes but now I am,if Im correct that this translation project will fix every text of dialog and equipment name in the game,but also I have to say that some of the spells aren't as strong as in the DS remake?

ermac

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2018, 01:29:15 am »
Hello all!  I was playing my way thru the 1.4 version of FF3 Refurbished when I noticed this bug on the job select screen after gaining the 3rd set of jobs (Water Crystal)

The bard job listing appears to be one row too low and does not display job skill level or job point cost.
Tested in Nestopia UE 1.47, Nestopia 1.40 vanilla, FCEUX 2.2.3, and Mesen 0.94

Couldn't figure out how to attach an image so here's the link
https://imgur.com/a/T9tGL

Endarire

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2019, 04:27:04 am »
Greetings, all!

These requests are especially pertinent to Chaos Rush since he started this post, but I'd like these implemented if they haven't already been:

-Maeson Mix compatibility.  I'm liking the game so far.

-Optimal Equipment Setting: Certain Final Fantasy games - like FFV - have an 'optimal' or 'optimum' setting where the items with the highest offense (for weapons) and highest defense (for shields/armor/accessories) are equipped with a single button.  (I know that, in practice, this is just a quick way to have characters equip something in all relevant slots since what is truly optimal is context-sensitive.)

However, having experienced this in FFV, I'd like to know how feasible this would be for FFIII (NES), especially when changing jobs, and have it be toggleable, if only via IPS patches.  (In short, I'd like FFV-like behavior when equipping characters and changing their jobs.)

-Learn spells once and have the appropriate casters prepare them when they want:  In FFV, once the party learns a spell (like Fire or Cure), everyone in the party knows it permanently.  (Each party member can only cast it if they otherwise meet all prerequisites, such as being the right class, having enough levels, having enough MP, and being alive but not silenced.)

In FFIII NES, each character normally needs to learn a separate spell copy, but can only have 3 total spells per spell level active at a time.  Thus, finding a Cure2 spell means that only one character can have it equipped at a time, even if that character can't cast that spell such as due to class or level.

What I propose - and this requires a feasibility check for implementation - is that spells (Aero, Mini, Toad, etc.) are kept on a separate inventory screen and sorted by type - Black, Summon, White, etc. - and each character picks spells from that screen to learn based on spells found.  For example, if the party found the Cure2 spell, anyone could prepare that spell (that is, put it in a spell slot of that spell level) and cast it as normal, instead of needing to find 4 copies and handle spells as if they were items, competing with the inventory space best left for weapons, armor, and consumables.

In this model, spells would not be sellable to vendors nor trashable, but held onto forever in inventory.  However, due to likely technical limitations of the 3 spell slots per spell level setup, players would still need to swap in whatever spells they wanted active.  (If these limitations were altered, then the number of spells of each spell level each character could prepare would be the new limit of this mod.)  In general, my preference is to make spell preparation as easy as changing classes (and having access to all spells castable by that new class), thereby coming as close as possible to FFV.

Thankee!

azul120

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 22, 2019, 02:48:34 am »
Looking forward to this!

All we need now is an "HD graphic" patch with visuals along the lines of the aborted 2d remake.

Ramdemann

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 22, 2019, 11:11:38 pm »
Yes, An HD Patch would be incredible. Plus use the PSP Soundtrack over it.

In fact use the Origins Graphics from the first game on PS1, Then we can finally have an Origins Version of Final Fantasy III.  :)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2019, 02:23:23 pm »
I know Chaos Rush has not been around since his last release and with these latest few typos grammar issues that need to be corrected, I am curious if his editor will work at fixing them. If they are, I say we should all step in to update it. Since my name is attached to it as a play tester, I don't know if I am allowed to be the one to fix it unless we can get a hold of Chaos Rush.

As for compatibility with real hardware, it is something I'd like to see happen. Whether it is compression or some other work around, that would be rather cool. Same with an HD graphics pack for Mesen.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 06, 2019, 07:53:29 pm »
Chaos Rush, as far as I've seen (I follow some of his Poké-related stuff) has pretty much vanished from the earth since August 15 2017. I don't think we can expect him to return anytime soon.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 07, 2019, 07:05:59 pm »
Hello everyone, it’s been a while and I understand that the final release of this has a minor bug in the job screen that only happens when you have an odd number of jobs available, as well as some typos. I haven’t been doing much ROM hacking lately not necessarily due to lack of interest but lack of time.

There’s a couple reasons why I want to abandon this. First of all it’s completely incompatible with real hardware due to a mapper-setup combination that no Famicom/NES cartridge ever had (forgot the exact specifics, but I recall it was pointed out in this thread). I mean it works fine on emulators, but I realize the method that was used to expand the banks would have worked just fine without the mapper patch as well, and the outcome would have been the same: doesn’t work on hardware, works fine on emulators.

Secondly, the only way to get a version of this that doesn’t break any hardware rules is to simply keep the ROM the same size, thus heavily condensing the text. I have no interest in doing this whatsoever - to me the fun part of doing this was to compare the text from Japanese FFIII Famicom and English FFIII DS, but making a condensed version of the script means it’s an English-English project and I have no interest in doing that. There’s a lot more to it but I don’t want to go into too much details with personal stuff, but it has to do with my personal cultural identity that I’ve been struggling with for a while, basically I’m a half-Japanese that speaks iffy Japanese despite having lived in Japan for several years when I was little, and for the past few years I’ve been on a mission to improve it as much as possible, so doing a large English-based project has no merit for me. I’m sorry if that sounds selfish. Three years ago I wanted to play through all of the Final Fantasy games in English, but now I would rather just play through them in Japanese and experience the original works as they were written.

Also, when I did this project, my Japanese was quite bad compared to now. Luckily it’s not really a translation and more like a script-port of the official DS translation, so it worked out, and even if I redid it again I think the final result would be quite similar, but a small part of me feels like I was in no position to do this project at the time.

I know Chaos Rush has not been around since his last release and with these latest few typos grammar issues that need to be corrected, I am curious if his editor will work at fixing them. If they are, I say we should all step in to update it. Since my name is attached to it as a play tester, I don't know if I am allowed to be the one to fix it unless we can get a hold of Chaos Rush.
My editor OnionText should work. Any change that is made will recompile all the text in the game within the game’s text area to ensure that free space is used efficiently. If you’re down to it, I’ll gladly hand this project over to you to maintain typo fixes and such. But I’m not sure if this mapper combo should even be continued lol. Also not sure how to transfer thread ownership to other people.

Anyways, I’m sorry if I left you all hanging, but I just have no interest in maintaining this any further. I’m really sorry.

EDIT: one more thing I forgot to mention, some of the techniques used to achieve more screen space breaks some “guidelines” of Famicom/NES development in avoiding overscan areas. I think a real NES game would not do that, and instead find a better solution whether it be squish-tiles or abbreviations and whatnot (or port it to SNES/GBA).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:41:08 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 07, 2019, 08:04:42 pm »
Thanks for the update, Chaos, and for all your work on this project. Your translations of FF2 and FF3 are the definitive versions I play and recommend. Also, this rom works perfectly on my Analogue Nt Mini, which might as well be real hardware for my usage. Best of luck in pursuing what’s closest to your heart right now and the years to come.

AxlRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 07, 2019, 08:44:14 pm »
Dang, I didn't know there were hardware incompatibilities. Sounds like something that could be fixed with custom mapper support on a flashcart at least, or no?

Either way, I never played any Final Fantasy until a couple years ago and your II and III translations were the first versions I played. I really loved them, even though consulting Internet guides could be an exercise in translation of its own due to them referencing outdated and less accurate hacks, or the prototype in II's case :P But anyway, I really enjoyed playing them. Thought I'd just say that since you popped in, and best of luck with improving your Japanese.

And yeah, that would be nice if a typo update could be ironed out. I wish I still had notes or a better memory (I should'a posted them then :banghead: ) but I'm sure they've already noted in the thread somewhere.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 07, 2019, 11:29:39 pm »
Hello everyone, it’s been a while and I understand that the final release of this has a minor bug in the job screen that only happens when you have an uneven number of jobs available, as well as some typos. I haven’t been doing much ROM hacking lately not necessarily due to lack of interest but lack of time.

There’s a couple reasons why I want to abandon this. First of all it’s completely incompatible with real hardware due to a mapper-setup combination that no Famicom/NES cartridge ever had (forgot the exact specifics, but I recall it was pointed out in this thread). I mean it works fine on emulators, but I realize the method that was used to expand the banks would have worked just fine without the mapper patch as well, and the outcome would have been the same: doesn’t work on hardware, works fine on emulators.

Secondly, the only way to get a version of this that doesn’t break any hardware rules is to simply keep the ROM the same size, thus heavily condensing the text. I have no interest in doing this whatsoever - to me the fun part of doing this was to compare the text from Japanese FFIII Famicom and English FFIII DS, but making a condensed version of the script means it’s an English-English project and I have no interest in doing that. There’s a lot more to it but I don’t want to go into too much details with personal stuff, but it has to do with my personal cultural identity that I’ve been struggling with for a while, basically I’m a half-Japanese that speaks iffy Japanese despite having lived in Japan for several years when I was little, and for the past few years I’ve been on a mission to improve it as much as possible, so doing a large English-based project has no merit for me. I’m sorry if that sounds selfish. Three years ago I wanted to play through all of the Final Fantasy games in English, but now I would rather just play through them in Japanese and experience the original works as they were written.

Also, when I did this project, my Japanese was quite bad compared to now. Luckily it’s not really a translation and more like a script-port of the official DS translation, so it worked out, and even if I redid it again I think the final result would be quite similar, but a small part of me feels like I was in no position to do this project at the time.
My editor OnionText should work. Any change that is made will recompile all the text in the game within the game’s text area to ensure that free space is used efficiently. If you’re down to it, I’ll gladly hand this project over to you to maintain typo fixes and such. But I’m not sure if this mapper combo should even be continued lol. Also not sure how to transfer thread ownership to other people.

Anyways, I’m sorry if I left you all hanging, but I just have no interest in maintaining this any further. I’m really sorry.

EDIT: one more thing I forgot to mention, some of the techniques used to achieve more screen space breaks some “guidelines” of Famicom/NES development in avoiding overscan areas. I think a real NES game would not do that, and instead find a better solution whether it be squish-tiles or abbreviations and whatnot (or port it to SNES/GBA).

Thanks for the update Chaos Rush. I wish you the best in what you do. I can work on typo fixes as I get spare time (which right now is also something I don't have much of lately) but I am curious as to what could fix that job screen bug.

As for the typos, once I begin I'll need to compile all of the errors that have been posted to fix. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them here.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 08, 2019, 12:10:25 am »
Thanks for the update Chaos Rush. I wish you the best in what you do. I can work on typo fixes as I get spare time (which right now is also something I don't have much of lately) but I am curious as to what could fix that job screen bug.

As for the typos, once I begin I'll need to compile all of the errors that have been posted to fix. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to post them here.
If necessary, feel free to start a new thread as an addendum (similarly to your take on FFIV), or if you wish to continue the project as the same concept that it originally aimed to do then that’s fine with me too (but in that case a mod would have to transfer thread ownership). Seeing as our projects have overlapping audiences, I think you’d be a great fit for this, since the “translation/localization” part is done, you’re free to modify things as you see fit to make things tonally consistent with your FFIV & VI projects. I’ll try to stick around and can provide insight on wording/phrasing of stuff (as long as you provide the original Japanese line too, which the editor is designed as to always display it as a reference).

If you want, I can also provide my general hacking notes for FFIII, but I can’t at the moment because the laptop I have it on can’t connect to the internet where I am right now (won’t be an issue in the near future).

Feel free to take over for FFII as well lol, though that one works on hardware and for the most part I think it turned out alright given the limitations.

EDIT: Admittedly I feel a little bad that I didn’t have this as a 512kb project from the start, I simply believed that using the MMC5 mapper patch would have been the “correct” thing to do, not knowing I would alienate so many people due to mapper shenanigans of NES emulators and flashcarts and what not. I don’t want to be the one to make the 512kb version, but since I’m kinda responsible for this mess I want to help in someway so that people can play the original FFIII. I’m willing to provide a modified version of my tool for the purpose of making a 512kb version, and hopefully with that and my hacking notes, a 512kb version of an English FFIII can be made, but understand that unless someone has the ASM knowledge to massively compress text, then these compromises would have to be made:

* the script would have to be heavily abridged

* DTE compression would need to be implemented

* the in-game item menu showing the “...” for long item names wouldn’t work because I used an entirely separate text bank for those to differentiate from the main item screen from the overworld. In a 512kb ROM there would be no space to do that, meaning you’d either have to figure out how to extend the in-battle item menu, or have short item names.

If someone is up for this, I’m willing to work with them. As I said, I’m not interested in being the one to abridge the script, but I enjoy coding and ASM hacking. Let’s figure something out.

Do people just want to play the current MMC5 version but with typos fixed? Then I think Rodimus Primal can take care of that. Or is there demand for a 512kb version with an abridged script? In that case I’m willing to provide the “framework” for that (but someone else can abridge the script). Which one would you guys prefer?

(Or heck, forget Dawn of Souls, port FF1-3 to GBA and leave them in all their 8-bit glory, but have the freedom to use a VWF. Include both Japanese and English scripts. I’m sure Square Enix would get very mad if a homebrew port was ever made though lol)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 01:28:16 am by Chaos Rush »
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 08, 2019, 04:55:45 am »
For me, I don't play on real hardware.
So I would really like a typo update to the original project.

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 08, 2019, 08:26:21 am »
A typo update would be all I personally care about, although a console version would be nice for many others who want to enjoy this game. I also found a couple of typos in FFII, which I believe I already posted about in that thread, so I’m happy to help if I catch anything else.

It’s exciting to see these projects become somewhat active again!

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 08, 2019, 09:21:39 am »
Well the typo fix is the first thing I will be working on before the project goes through anything else.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 08, 2019, 02:13:17 pm »
That's some awesome progress. Yes, Chaos' translation for FF3 is still the one I feel I'd like to play through the most. Even though it has a few small bugs, and incompatibility with real hardware, I consider it the definitive way to play FF3, and some real nice work on Chaos' part.

Though I suddenly feel the urge to learn Japanese...
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 08, 2019, 03:17:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure the people who use real hardware are the 1% minority vs. the 99% players that use emulators. I wouldn't let the real hardware issues get to you that much.

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 08, 2019, 03:31:01 pm »
I'm pretty sure the people who use real hardware are the 1% minority vs. the 99% players that use emulators. I wouldn't let the real hardware issues get to you that much.

And 100 other ways to ensure your hack will not be future proof and will only work on select emulators.

The hardware is the standard.  If it works on hardware it will always work on every emulator ever made now and forever.

But if it doesn't work on the hardware, it's very possible your hack will be unusable in future generations of emulators as they grow more accurate.  It's "this hack only works on NESticle '95" all over again.

So... yes... worry about hardware issues.  Absolutely 100%.