News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 90944 times)

JulianoFdeS

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #200 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:42 am »
Hello guys, my smartphone is so old and small, an Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with resolution 320x480. (Samsung Galaxy Fame)

The NES.emu are not working as intended, for some reason, the D-PAD buttons are transformed in the game's screen, and the real game screen became a dark background.

Until Fast Emulator decide to do a NES emulator, I am better with John NES and/or Nesoid, John NES didn't runs Grond's Final Fantasy, Nesoid did, I beat Final Fantasy Restored and Final Fantasy II Refurbished on John NES, is not the best emulator I have already used, but for my low end Android device, is the most complete and runs smooth.

I beat the Final Fantasy III [En by A.W.Jackson+Neill Corlett+SoM2Freak v1.1] but I didn't did everything that I wanted to do, and I am so excited for the closest translation with B-Button Dash! It's my favorite FF from NES.

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2017, 02:32:37 pm »
I'm actually thinking of making a version that uses oversized MMC3, which is what the ad0220 translation did. It wouldn't work on hardware of course.

Is there any hope for a version that will work on hardware?
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 08, 2017, 08:41:14 am »
Anyone tried it on an NES Classic using Hakchi?

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #203 on: May 08, 2017, 10:26:41 am »
It probably won't work that well, or at all, since the VC is still trying to work with specific requirements. Suppose one won't know until they try, though!

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!

Chrysologus

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 08, 2017, 10:17:58 pm »
Well, I tried it now, and it crashes when it's time to enter a name. Perhaps some day he will return and make a hardware-compatible version! Or someone else will.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 09, 2017, 04:09:28 pm »
Well, I tried it now, and it crashes when it's time to enter a name. Perhaps some day he will return and make a hardware-compatible version! Or someone else will.

If there was a fix to this and the multiply issue due to the mapper switch, I'd go in and fix the script errors myself. Chaos Rush did a great job with the translation itself but the overall package needs some spit polish!

Lusipurr

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 09, 2017, 08:30:08 pm »
I'm hoping that Chaos Rush will have time this summer, as he said he had to set it aside for school. Here's hoping!

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2017, 02:49:29 pm »
Hi. I made an account just so I can reply. Just want to say thank you for all the hard work, Chaos Rush.

Anyway, I initially was going to wonder why this FF III Refurbished patched game doesn't work for both Virtuanes (works on Nesticle) and on the 3DS VC emulator (shacked CFW). Now that I know the issue, I am wondering if anyone is working on changing the mapper for it.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but why doesn't the Rodimus' Namingway Edition patch for Final Fantasy II US work after the Title Screen for Snes9x and for (yet again) the 3DS VC emulator?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 23, 2017, 10:24:31 am »
Hi. I made an account just so I can reply. Just want to say thank you for all the hard work, Chaos Rush.

Anyway, I initially was going to wonder why this FF III Refurbished patched game doesn't work for both Virtuanes (works on Nesticle) and on the 3DS VC emulator (shacked CFW). Now that I know the issue, I am wondering if anyone is working on changing the mapper for it.

Also, this is completely unrelated, but why doesn't the Rodimus' Namingway Edition patch for Final Fantasy II US work after the Title Screen for Snes9x and for (yet again) the 3DS VC emulator?

It's possible you didn't patch the correct ROM for Namingway Edition. The hacking community uses Final Fantasy II US 1.1 as a base and that's what Namingway uses. Also you have to make sure that you are using an unheadered ROM.  I use SNES9x regularly and that's what I test on.

As for FFIII it can be a mapper issue. Not all mappers are supported in some emulators and Chaos Rush's patch uses a mapper change.

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 23, 2017, 11:59:51 am »
Great, it works. Seems good except for why it's like:

SoldierA:We've arrived at Baron

Probably for memory space reasons?

But now I know why the Final Fantasy III US patch didn't work either. Thanks so much.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 23, 2017, 04:09:57 pm »
For 3DS VC, it would depend on what Nintendo's emulator supports, and the expanded ROM translation uses a mapper combination that doesn't exist on any actual carts.

I know there was another translation of FF3 which expanded the ROM (with MMC3) to 1MB but I thought VirtuaNES was the only emulator besides Nesticle to support that (as Nesticle didn't emulate the reported size limit of 512KB for real MMC3s).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Flup an Seabhaic

• Éirímid agus titimid le chéile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2017, 05:32:12 pm »
Yeah, I really hope there's a way to fix that issue with multiplying enemies. It's a shame because I'm extremely impressed otherwise with translation. For now, it might be best to just move your save to a clean ROM or an older translation of the ROM for that part of the game, then move it back afterwards.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 29, 2017, 04:51:45 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm sorry to have left you all hanging. I'm still busy but I should have more time this summer. Here is my plan:

Make a version that keeps the MMC3 mapper, just like the ad0220 patch. Unfortunately I can't fix the multiplying issue because I simply don't have the ASM knowledge to do so. Redoing the whole thing while keeping the original mapper will work on any emulators that the ad0220 patch works on. Honestly it shouldn't take me that long, since I still have all the notes I wrote down for things like menu box sizes and positions and such. It would probably take me less than a week to finish (but don't quote me on that). The text will be exactly the same as the MMC5 version that I have out now.

In order to make a version that works on hardware however, there's just no way around it but it would require significantly condensing the text so that it all fits on a 512kb ROM (or however small vanilla FFIII is, I forgot lol). I'm sorry to say that I have no interest in doing this, but I will gladly provide my FFIII notes and tools for anyone that wishes to abridge the script to fit on a non-expanded ROM so they can replicate things like expanding the menu box sizes and such.

Once this is finally done and out of the way though, I won't be working on any more translations, as I have lost interest in playing text-heavy games in English. The reason why is, as I might have mentioned before, Japanese was technically my first language, but having lived in the US since I was six years old, I forgot a lot of Japanese as I've spent most of my life in an English-speaking environment. One of the reasons why I wanted to provide better English translations for FFII and FFIII is so that I could "get better" at Japanese by analyzing all the text, but over the past year I've recovered a lot of Japanese vocabulary just by regularly talking with exchange students, and I figured by this point I might as well just play games in Japanese (also I want to make up for lost time - my first video game (Pokémon Green for the Game Boy) was in Japanese, but after my family moved to America the rest of the games I played in English, which I regret a lot).

So basically, I'm not dead, and I haven't forgotten about this. I won't leave y'all hanging - but once I'm done with the MMC3 version I probably won't be around much. But I hope people are enjoying my FFII and FFIII patches and can be patient for the MMC3 version that hopefully can be played all the way through without any glitches!
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 29, 2017, 05:07:17 pm »
Hey everyone, I'm sorry to have left you all hanging. I'm still busy but I should have more time this summer. Here is my plan:

Make a version that keeps the MMC3 mapper, just like the ad0220 patch. Unfortunately I can't fix the multiplying issue because I simply don't have the ASM knowledge to do so. Redoing the whole thing while keeping the original mapper will work on any emulators that the ad0220 patch works on. Honestly it shouldn't take me that long, since I still have all the notes I wrote down for things like menu box sizes and positions and such. It would probably take me less than a week to finish (but don't quote me on that). The text will be exactly the same as the MMC5 version that I have out now.

In order to make a version that works on hardware however, there's just no way around it but it would require significantly condensing the text so that it all fits on a 512kb ROM (or however small vanilla FFIII is, I forgot lol). I'm sorry to say that I have no interest in doing this, but I will gladly provide my FFIII notes and tools for anyone that wishes to abridge the script to fit on a non-expanded ROM so they can replicate things like expanding the menu box sizes and such.

Once this is finally done and out of the way though, I won't be working on any more translations, as I have lost interest in playing text-heavy games in English. The reason why is, as I might have mentioned before, Japanese was technically my first language, but having lived in the US since I was six years old, I forgot a lot of Japanese as I've spent most of my life in an English-speaking environment. One of the reasons why I wanted to provide better English translations for FFII and FFIII is so that I could "get better" at Japanese by analyzing all the text, but over the past year I've recovered a lot of Japanese vocabulary just by regularly talking with exchange students, and I figured by this point I might as well just play games in Japanese (also I want to make up for lost time - my first video game (Pokémon Green for the Game Boy) was in Japanese, but after my family moved to America the rest of the games I played in English, which I regret a lot).

So basically, I'm not dead, and I haven't forgotten about this. I won't leave y'all hanging - but once I'm done with the MMC3 version I probably won't be around much. But I hope people are enjoying my FFII and FFIII patches and can be patient for the MMC3 version that hopefully can be played all the way through without any glitches!

I think the multiply bug comes from the mapper change but I'm not certain. While the script has been for the most part solid, the issues that need to be addressed are the text overflow issues since the last update.

AwesomeHairo

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2017, 08:52:20 pm »
I'm personally thankful for your hardwork. We all lose interest in projects and that's normal.

The only thing I would like to ask of you and Rodimus Prime is for any advice on me retranslating FFV using the GBA script.

Are you planning on upgrading FFV with the latest spell and monster names and making the SNES very similar to the GBA release, Rodimus Prime? Is there any tools I could use to fit in the true magic names?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2017, 10:17:01 pm »
I'm personally thankful for your hardwork. We all lose interest in projects and that's normal.

The only thing I would like to ask of you and Rodimus Prime is for any advice on me retranslating FFV using the GBA script.

Are you planning on upgrading FFV with the latest spell and monster names and making the SNES very similar to the GBA release, Rodimus Prime? Is there any tools I could use to fit in the true magic names?

I've only looked at FFV as far as retranslating that and chose not to. I do know there are tools to view things around the game but I'm not familiar with the assembly of it to even scratch the surface. I would like to see it brought to modern translation standards too, perhaps even using Spooniest's version.

On topic, good luck with school work, Chaos Rush. I was glad to be and still am happy to test anything moving forward to ensure the project is complete.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2017, 12:07:15 am »
Honestly it shouldn't take me that long, since I still have all the notes I wrote down for things like menu box sizes and positions and such.

How much work is it to hack things like that?

I was always surprised that GBA friendly hacks of popular NES RPGs never got made...you could just move the windows vertically a little, and get rid of double-spacing, and you could fit everything without having to scale or scroll the screen.

Obviously, the battle backgrounds would be sorely missed, but it's an idea.

Now that I think about it, a lot of games, like the Dragon Warriors, don't use a lot of double-spacing. Hmm...maybe that explains it.

yasu

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2017, 11:26:01 am »
Hey, Chaos Rush.
I solved a multiply bug.
It was because the MMC5 patch did not handle the IRQ well.

Try patch on this link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/spywbo4qe8gyygx/FF3MMC5-multiplybugfix.zip?dl=1

I am pleased if it will help your project ;)

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2017, 12:54:20 am »
Hey, Chaos Rush.
I solved a multiply bug.
It was because the MMC5 patch did not handle the IRQ well.

Try patch on this link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/spywbo4qe8gyygx/FF3MMC5-multiplybugfix.zip?dl=1

I am pleased if it will help your project ;)

I'll gladly test this myself when I get a little free time. (A lot of IRL stuff and Youtube channel stuff revolving Transformers takes up a LOT currently.) Care to elaborate where the fix is correcting the error?

yasu

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2017, 12:57:12 pm »
I'll gladly test this myself when I get a little free time. (A lot of IRL stuff and Youtube channel stuff revolving Transformers takes up a LOT currently.) Care to elaborate where the fix is correcting the error?

In the original ROM (MMC3), in the raster effect of multiply processing, IRQ is generated every time two scanlines increase.
However, with the MMC5 patch, there were two errors in modifying this raster effect.

1. Illegal value is given to $5204, so IRQ is not enabled. It was necessary to give 0x80.

2. the position of the scanline for which IRQ is to be generated next must be stored as "absolute position" at $5203. However, 0x01 was always stored.
(In MMC3, it was good to be 0x01 because "relative position" had to be stored)

//MMC5 Patch

Code: [Select]

($5F8BA)
 17:B8A9:20 79 FB  JSR $FB79 //waitIRQ
 17:B8AC:A9 01     LDA #$01 //SetNextScanline(relative)
 17:B8AE:8D 03 52  STA $5203
 17:B8B1:20 D5 BF  JSR $BFD5 //EnableIRQ

($5F8EE)
 17:B8DE:A9 01     LDA #$01 //SetNextScanline(relative)
 17:B8E0:8D 03 52  STA $5203

EnableIRQ($5FFE5)
 17:BFD5:A9 40     LDA #$40 //Illegal value
 17:BFD7:8D 04 52  STA $5204
 17:BFDA:60        RTS

//Fixed

Code: [Select]

Modify:

($5F8BA)
 17:B8A9:20 DB BF  JSR $BFDB //WaitIRQandInitScanline
 17:B8AC:20 E3 BF  JSR $BFE3 //SetNextScanlineTo$5203
 17:B8AF:EA        NOP
 17:B8B0:EA        NOP
 17:B8B1:20 D5 BF  JSR $BFD5 //EnableIRQ

($5F8EE)
 17:B8DE:20 E3 BF  JSR $BFE3 //SetNextScanlineTo$5203
 17:B8E1:EA        NOP
 17:B8E2:EA        NOP

Modify: EnableIRQ($5FFE5)
 17:BFD5:A9 80     LDA #$80
 17:BFD7:8D 04 52  STA $5204
 17:BFDA:60        RTS

Add: WaitIRQandInitScanline($5FFEB)
 17:BFDB:20 79 FB  JSR $FB79 //waitIRQ
 17:BFDE:A9 26     LDA #$26
 17:BFE0:85 7B     STA $007B //InitScanline
 17:BFE2:60        RTS

Add: SetNextScanlineTo$5203($5FFF3)
 17:BFE3:E6 7B     INC $007B
 17:BFE5:E6 7B     INC $007B
 17:BFE7:A5 7B     LDA $007B //NextScanline(Absolute)
 17:BFE9:8D 03 52  STA $5203
 17:BFEC:60        RTS

Is my explanation enough?