News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 59722 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Speaking of which... Chaos Rush, how are you going to handle Terrain?  The DS ones I don't think are going to match up, but I'm pretty sure they're referenced in FFV and/or FFT at least.
Well luckily they don't match up, their names were changed even in the Japanese version of the DS remake, so I'm free to translate the omitted ones from scratch. See this page: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_III/Translations#Abilities

EDIT: Just like I did in the FFII thread, I'll occasionally post screenshots of what I've worked on that day while providing explanations for translation choices that I made. With that said, here is some stuff I worked on today (click to enlarge):

1, 2, & 3: this is text that isn't present in the DS remake at all, so I had to translate from scratch. Typically when I do this I'll first translate literally and make sure the meaning is correct, then I'll think of ways I can rephrase it to make it sound more natural.
4. This is an instance where I had to translate myself but I borrow some wording from the DS remake.
5, 7, & 10: So in the Japanese script, the game provides a small description of who you're speaking to, but it does it in a single line, which would be impossible in English unless if I wanted to omit some information. Because I don't want any information to be lost, I decided I'll present it with the spacing as shown in the screenshots in order to distinguish it from normal dialogue while still retaining all of the information that is provided in the Japanese version. (In the DS remake, it just provides their name and nothing else)
11: Even though Topapa is not the kids father, I am using that word in the same way that someone would call a Priest within a church.
13: Yes I'm aware of this spacing issue, it should be a simple fix. I'm going to write an ASM routine that checks if the last letter in each of the protagonists names are a space, and if so then replace it with a termination byte. Continue on with the next letter, and so on.
14-16: This is an instance where I was able to use part of the DS remake's text, but omitted some extra stuff to make the content match the original Famicom version's script. However, the last part "seal away the darkness" was for some reason omitted from the DS remake, but present in the Japanese Famicom script, so I added it back in.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:31:53 pm by Chaos Rush »

Leviathan Mist

• View Profile
Just wanted to say that I'm just as interested in this project as I was for your FF2 project. The thing I like most is that you included the job levels/exp in the job selection menu - that will make keeping track of job levels much less of a chore.
Game over.

Da_GPer

• View Profile
From what I remember, I could be wrong though, the original NES version had it that all 4 player characters were male. The DS and PSP versions had a female player character. Are you going to edit one of the player character's sprites to look more feminine, to make the character fit in the part visually?

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
From what I remember, I could be wrong though, the original NES version had it that all 4 player characters were male. The DS and PSP versions had a female player character. Are you going to edit one of the player character's sprites to look more feminine, to make the character fit in the part visually?

I think he's just going for a translation, however that would be amazing if that could be pulled off.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
I'm leaving the graphics as they are but I'm making the script gender-neutral whenever anyone refers to the four protagonists. I believe the original Japanese script was gender-neutral as well, but it's kind of hard to tell because the word they used to describe them (少年) can equally mean young boy or young child.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile

That was the same for FF1.
Although people argued the White Mage/Wizard was a female (and if I remember, at least the PS1 version had female FF character names as the random presets for the White Mage).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Today's update:

All dialogue from Ur has been translated. I'd also like to point out this guy:

In the DS version, this guy's dialogue has been censored - he says something like, "I like it here, I think I'll stay..." (paraphrasing, too lazy to turn on my 3DS right now). In the original Famicom version (and I'm assuming the Japanese DS version as well, but I can't check), he points out that because he can't get back to Canaan, he just stays there and drinks. It's a minor alcohol reference and it's not even that important but I'm just using this as an example of how thoroughly I'm going to be comparing the Famicom and DS text.

Another thing, in the Magic menu, I've decided to remove the magic level indicator in order to make room for longer spell names. I figured the magic level indicator is not important since you can already deduce that from having eight separate MP amounts, and it really doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay anyway since the eight separate MP amounts alone would indicate that, and the Magic shops never indicated it to begin with. I've now managed to put all spell names in full with no abbreviations whatsoever (but some do use squish tiles):

zfreeman

• View Profile
Bahamur?

John Enigma

• View Profile
You know...

To this day, between this WIP translation, and the other two fully playable translations, I still wonder why Square-Enix (back then, Square Soft.) never remade Final Fantasy III to the Bandai Wonderswan Color, or the Game Boy Advance, and took them SO long to actually remake the game for the Nintendo DS.

Understand?

Is like, by that time, they were never interested in doing anything with Final Fantasy III. They were more interested in doing other FF games, and the spin-offs for FF. But never Final Fantasy III.

Is like it was the black sheep of Square-Enix's Final Fantasy franchise, until, again, the DS remake.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
To this day, between this WIP translation, and the other two fully playable translations, I still wonder why Square-Enix (back then, Square Soft.) never remade Final Fantasy III to the Bandai Wonderswan Color, or the Game Boy Advance, and took them SO long to actually remake the game for the Nintendo DS.

I've heard tell it's because they lost the original source code somehow.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Bahamur?
That's what the summon is spelled in the DS remake, and the original version calls it バハムル(Bahamuru)

Maeson

• View Profile
They were going to make a port of III on the WS color, but it got cancelled. That's why I think there wasn't a GBA or PS1 port neither. In the case of I, II, and IV they had the WS versions to transfer many things to the GBA instead of starting over, which i suppose made them cheaper and easier to produce.

Without a version of III, maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort and ignored it, even more when it was a game that outside of Japan didn't have an "official" fanbase because it was never released there.

I guess that after IV Advance, they decided to keep going with V and VI (Which were already ported to the PS1, so, again, maybe it was the easier route).

I would have been very happy to have a FF III GBA port. Fuck, even a PS1 port, if only for how the music could have been (FF I and II got decent tratement if I remember right).

Bad luck for poor FF III. But oh well... I love the Famicom version anyways. The DS remake is decent, but it could have had more improvements here and there, and a better use of the second screen, because most of the time is just... black. Although I liked the zoom-in feature to find secret things.

This translation by the way looks like it has some nice improvements!

The names of the spells are always a headache. I think that's why the Spanish translations for FF games ended using + or ++ for stronger spells.

Like Thunder is Electro, Electro+ and Electro++, or Fire is Piro, Piro+ and Piro++.

EDIT:

The Bahamur thing is just for the Spells themselves. Each spell has a different name, but the creatures you summon still are named like always (Bahamut in this case).

For example to summon Shiva the spell is Icen, and Spark for Ramuh.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 03:06:04 pm by Maeson »
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

SageOwl

• View Profile
They were going to make a port of III on the WS color, but it got cancelled. That's why I think there wasn't a GBA or PS1 port neither. In the case of I, II, and IV they had the WS versions to transfer many things to the GBA instead of starting over, which i suppose made them cheaper and easier to produce.

Without a version of III, maybe they thought it wasn't worth the effort and ignored it, even more when it was a game that outside of Japan didn't have an "official" fanbase because it was never released there.

I guess that after IV Advance, they decided to keep going with V and VI (Which were already ported to the PS1, so, again, maybe it was the easier route).

I would have been very happy to have a FF III GBA port. Fuck, even a PS1 port, if only for how the music could have been (FF I and II got decent tratement if I remember right).

Bad luck for poor FF III. But oh well... I love the Famicom version anyways. The DS remake is decent, but it could have had more improvements here and there, and a better use of the second screen, because most of the time is just... black. Although I liked the zoom-in feature to find secret things.

It sucks that the highest selling Famicom Final Fantasy didn't get a western release because god knows the RPG community wouldn't have appreciated it over another Dragon Warrior game.

I hate that it, and a lot of other DS games, used the touch screen as the main screen. I don't know why you would want to stare at that when the top screen is looking you in the face. That really turned me off on that version, but fortunately the Android/iOS port was solid. Famicom version will always be superior in my opinion.

Maeson

• View Profile
It sucks that the highest selling Famicom Final Fantasy didn't get a western release because god knows the RPG community wouldn't have appreciated it over another Dragon Warrior game.

I hate that it, and a lot of other DS games, used the touch screen as the main screen. I don't know why you would want to stare at that when the top screen is looking you in the face. That really turned me off on that version, but fortunately the Android/iOS port was solid. Famicom version will always be superior in my opinion.

Yeah, I only wonder what could have happened if FF 2 and 3 got released outside Japan... But even outside old Squaresoft, games like Just Breed, which are mindblowing coming from a system such as the Famicom/Nes are examples of the great things we missed back then.

Dragon Quest pales in comparison to games like those, and I appreciate that franchise, mind you... Heck, even some DQ clones had more features and meat on the gameplay, Juvei Quest was pretty impressive for a DQ clone, IIRC.

About the DS screens I agree, with some games it was annoying. In the case of FF III DS it's even more glaring personally, as you're inside cities, dungeons or fighting most of the game, and you have that superior screen completely unused with nothing to look at. Not even some sort of decoration. Except the dust that it may attract, I guess.

That didn't stop me from playing quite a bit with that version, but it always had that feeling of "unfinished", or rather "wasted potential". In any case, I prefer the Famicom version too.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
The Bahamur thing is just for the Spells themselves. Each spell has a different name, but the creatures you summon still are named like always (Bahamut in this case).

For example to summon Shiva the spell is Icen, and Spark for Ramuh.
This is correct, but why it was different takes a little explaining.  Unlike later games, summon spells in FFIII are a little different in naming.  Probably due to actually being three spells (evoker and summoner combined).  The NES fan translations all completely missed this one before, and just went by the established names of summon spells in IV onward figuring they were old summon names or something.  They really don't fit that way however and the DS version always had them correctly translated.

All three were planned all at once actually, as a "Finest Fantasy for Advance" deal.  I think it was put forth officially after 1 and 2, if not just all at once.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:43:23 am by Chronosplit »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Wasn't FF3DS designed so that it could be played entirely with touch control?

(well, I played a bit of the JP-only 3DS version of FF1, and that does support touch-screen fighting, but it is probably easier to use buttons, as the menus, as I recall, used normal text menus. Not giant buttons like the footage I've seen of smartphone versions.)
Although I must say the kanji font seems kind of small and blurry, compared to the PSP version. But I'll assume fluent speakers would still be able to read it. (though like other versions, it has an option to chose kanji or kana text in the menu)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Maeson

• View Profile
This is correct, but why it was different takes a little explaining.  Unlike later games, summon spells in FFIII are a little different in naming.  Probably due to actually being three spells (evoker and summoner combined).  The NES fan translations all completely missed this one before, and just went by the established names of summon spells in IV onward figuring they were old summon names or something.  They really don't fit that way however and the DS version always had them correctly translated.

That makes a lot of sense, as each summon spell has 3 outcomes (2 Effects with an Evoker, and another one for the Summoner). Although I don't find the fan translations wrong per se, as each of the characters you summon appear in all of the animations, so it still kinda works.

All three were planned all at once actually, as a "Finest Fantasy for Advance" deal.  I think it was put forth officially after 1 and 2, if not just all at once.

Oh, I see.

Wasn't FF3DS designed so that it could be played entirely with touch control?

(well, I played a bit of the JP-only 3DS version of FF1, and that does support touch-screen fighting, but it is probably easier to use buttons, as the menus, as I recall, used normal text menus. Not giant buttons like the footage I've seen of smartphone versions.)
Although I must say the kanji font seems kind of small and blurry, compared to the PSP version. But I'll assume fluent speakers would still be able to read it. (though like other versions, it has an option to chose kanji or kana text in the menu)

Yes, the DS version can be played without the use of the touch screen. And I agree that buttons are far easier to use compared to the stylus controls. That way you don't hide the screen with your hand or the stylus too.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
I didn't even know there was a 3DS version of Final Fantasy 1 until just now, although I'm guessing it's just a port of the version already available on PSP, iOS, and Steam.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
I didn't even know there was a 3DS version of Final Fantasy 1 until just now, although I'm guessing it's just a port of the version already available on PSP, iOS, and Steam.
I remember hearing it's more-or-less the PSP version with added 3D and touch, yeah.  It's probably the best quality of the ports originating from the PSP one though, since mobile has extras chopped off.

Axiphel

• View Profile

FF1 and 2 are curiously missing from Steam.