News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)  (Read 91157 times)

Reiska

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy III English Translation for NES (FFIII: Refurbished)
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2016, 05:55:21 am »
Finally got around to polishing up my text editing tool to a somewhat presentable state. My FFIII text editor, OnionText, has been submitted to the RHDN Utilities database, but in case it doesn't get approved for whatever reason, you can download it here: https://www.mediafire.com/?qtbk4p9co4c6940

The translated English script and the original Japanese script of Final Fantasy III is provided with the tool.
 The script has been done for a while (as well as the patch), I just haven't gotten around to polishing up my tool to a state where other people besides me can make sense of it. I've released the tool now though (link above), and I've also provided both the translated English script and the original Japanese script with it.
May I ask what emulator you are using? I am not encountering that issue on FCEUX 2.2.2. Can you also verify whether that happens for you just by using Kea's MMC5 patch alone?

From memory, the behavior he's describing happens in all versions of the game (the inventory is re-sorted at the start of every battle IIRC).

Kea

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 04, 2016, 07:36:56 am »
Can confirm, that behaviour occurs on every version of the game.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 04, 2016, 02:09:08 pm »
Can confirm, that behaviour occurs on every version of the game.

Interesting. Just have to live with it then.

I found a text overflow after beating Medusa.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 04, 2016, 09:18:59 pm »
Interesting. Just have to live with it then.

I found a text overflow after beating Medusa.

Thanks for pointing this out, it'll be fixed in v1.3.
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 08, 2016, 12:07:18 am »
Cool. Have you considered using a small amounts of squish tiles for some things? Some things like Sea Elemental, Pheonix Down, and Gysahl Greens, might benefit from it.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2016, 10:50:41 am »
Are there any more updates for this translation, or is everything (almost?) done here?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2016, 12:38:45 pm »
@Rodimus Primal: I might look into it at some point, though I think it would be a bit unfair if some items got to use squish tiles while other items still have to use abbreviations due to limited tile VRAM space.

Are there any more updates for this translation, or is everything (almost?) done here?
It's been done for a month now, and can be downloaded from RHDN (link to page in my signature). The only updates are to correct any typo's found.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 17, 2016, 01:13:20 pm »
The only updates are to correct any typo's found.
@Chaos Rush

These. Are there gonna be any more updates like these? You mentioned something of a v1.3 of this translation way above.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 17, 2016, 01:21:34 pm »
@Chaos Rush

These. Are there gonna be any more updates like these? You mentioned something of a v1.3 of this translation way above.
Yeah, but I'm gonna wait a bit to see if any more typo's are found since I don't think I should pull out an update just to fix two typo's (that were found since v1.2). Either way I'll push out another update within a month or so regardless of whether or not any more typo's are found.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 17, 2016, 03:56:24 pm »
Found a few typos and I have some suggestions:

This line was a little weird to read grammatically. Perhaps "Turns out I'm not attuned enough with magic to use it. But you...maybe you can."

This read strangely as well. I'd say it like this "You silly twits. These are the Horns of Ice. They ward against the Fire Crystal's flame!"

This I would move the "like" to the last line so that it reads "like 'em!"

An overflow typo.

This you can see that there is an extra line break that messes with the spacing. It also causes an extra blank page after this one to occur.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 17, 2016, 08:43:40 pm »
@Rodimus Primal: Thanks for these, I think this is enough to warrant an update. I'll try and roll it out as soon as I have time :)

A side note, what Desch is saying about "I'm not attuned to the magicks enough to use it" is exactly what he says in FF3DS. As for the second screenshot I don't remember if it's exactly what the DS version said so I'll take your suggestion for it and add you to the credits (I'll probably change the "magicks" line too since that is weird-sounding, but it IS also what he says in the DS remake).

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 17, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
I was questioning the "I'm not attuned" one a bit honestly.  At first I was wondering if it was talking about not being attuned to the powers specifically in it or just magic in general.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 18, 2016, 08:58:22 am »
v1.3 has been submitted to RHDN for approval. It fixes all of the issues pointed out by Rodimus Primal a couple posts above, in addition to a few others typo's. It also provides an extra optional patch that fixes the Item Upgrade bug (thanks to Kea for the fix).

The changelog is as follows:
Spoiler:
- several typos fixed

- several text overflow errors fixed

- optional Item Upgrade Bug fix patch added. This patch is optional
 due to the fact that this is fixing a bug that is present in the
 original Japanese version of the game, and some people might want
 to keep the bug for their own purposes.

Forgot to mention this in the changelog, but yes, I also took Rodimus's text suggestions too, so Desch doesn't say "magicks" anymore.

Asaki

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2016, 10:11:59 am »
"Magicks" is correct.

"You silly twits! These are the Horns of Ice, wards against the Fire Crystal's flame!"

My grammar is a little rusty, but I think all you have to do is change the comma to a semicolon (if you have one in the tileset).

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2016, 10:02:46 pm »
Haven't had the chance to play recently, but I did so this weekend and ran into some bugs.

First an overflow bug:

Next it should be "Your task is..." :

Trespassing is misspelled:

This, while grammatically correct, read a little weird to me. Maybe period after the "No Matter"

The Dual Tomahawk weapon has an interesting name here. If it's spacing, maybe DualTomhwk.

And last but not least, the Death Claw and Eater monsters seem to have an issue battling them. It crashed the first time I went through and faced the Eater right after the first round. I was able to beat him the second. Then the Death Claw crashes as soon as you hit him. I've reproduced the error on both FCEUX and Nestopia.

October 08, 2016, 12:22:40 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
An update. It would seem the crash occurs when a monster goes to multiply. I don't know if there is something wrong with the code there but I cannot get past the Ancient Catacombs because the monsters there multiply.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 12:22:47 pm by Rodimus Primal »

keithisgood

• [DANGER ! ! ! ! ! ! ] [TERROR HORROR]
    • View Profile
    • keithisgood
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2016, 09:45:21 am »
I've been playing through as well (all three patches on FCEUX) and I don't think the Multiply monsters crash the game. It just takes a reaaaaly long time for monsters to multiply, during which the game glitches and looks like it's crashing. If you let it go for a few minutes, the monster will correctly multiply/summon another monster.

Definitely a glitch, definitely annoying, but not game breaking.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2016, 12:06:19 am »
I've been playing through as well (all three patches on FCEUX) and I don't think the Multiply monsters crash the game. It just takes a reaaaaly long time for monsters to multiply, during which the game glitches and looks like it's crashing. If you let it go for a few minutes, the monster will correctly multiply/summon another monster.

Definitely a glitch, definitely annoying, but not game breaking.

Well I was able to get past the stage by having to hit the fast forward button for those battles. Is this present in other translations?

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2016, 10:17:28 am »
I wonder where @Chaos Rush is.

He needs to see this. I'm guessing he's busy with college work.

A.D.R.I.A.N

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2016, 11:44:54 am »
Well I was able to get past the stage by having to hit the fast forward button for those battles. Is this present in other translations?
The ad0220 translation gave me the glitch after i patched it over a MMC5 patched rom.
"I hate when mods don't let you ask for help."

AWJ

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2016, 03:59:24 pm »
The monster-summoning visual effect uses raster IRQs, and will need to be reprogrammed to work with a different mapper such as MMC5. I remember when developing and testing the translation that that effect didn't display correctly in most 1990s NES emulators (e.g. Nesticle). I think LoopyNES was the first emulator to display it correctly (and also the ending text scroll--1990s emus only displayed half of the text)