News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 11583 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:21:37 am »

Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link

Zeikar

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:24:28 am »
I'm a little bit disgusted with the community right now, all the attacks on the Legend of Zelda Gender Neutral hacks are unfounded! For one such attackers are saying it's disgusting and bringing up stuff about the LGBT community, when in fact it has ZERO to do with that community, if you read further into why the guy is doing it you will find that he said and I quote "One day my daughter might play video games, so I'm doing these hacks so she can feel like the hero/player, in fact the Japanese version on the original NES game had very few references to Link being a boy and even the creator said Link is an avatar for the player" We all know that in canon Link is male, but does it really hurt anyone that these hacks exist, it's not like you are being force to use them OR that they will be enforced in the re-release of any game, it sounds like people who hide behind the Attack Helicopter meme are plain out anti-gay and anti-woman, insecure guys attacking a father for making hacks for his daughter that even she might not even play one day. So think about that, a man does something gender neutral FOR HIS DAUGTER and all of a sudden it's a free pass at hate towards women and LGBT community.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 12:08:58 pm »
I'm a little bit disgusted with the community right now, all the attacks on the Legend of Zelda Gender Neutral hacks are unfounded! For one such attackers are saying it's disgusting and bringing up stuff about the LGBT community, when in fact it has ZERO to do with that community, if you read further into why the guy is doing it you will find that he said and I quote "One day my daughter might play video games, so I'm doing these hacks so she can feel like the hero/player, in fact the Japanese version on the original NES game had very few references to Link being a boy and even the creator said Link is an avatar for the player" We all know that in canon Link is male, but does it really hurt anyone that these hacks exist, it's not like you are being force to use them OR that they will be enforced in the re-release of any game, it sounds like people who hide behind the Attack Helicopter meme are plain out anti-gay and anti-woman, insecure guys attacking a father for making hacks for his daughter that even she might not even play one day. So think about that, a man does something gender neutral FOR HIS DAUGTER and all of a sudden it's a free pass at hate towards women and LGBT community.

I don't hate anybody, in fact I uploaded that hack originally when Mathuser notified me of it.

You do have to admit though, this is kinda funny though :D

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 12:42:15 pm »
I think it's cause there was a LGBT guy who came through and accused alot of people of being anti-gay for the smallest remarks on his LGBT hack. Too many people came to one guys defence and they had to close the thread. The Gender nuetral hacks just got added at a bad time.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:24:34 pm »

What better way to attack things than an Attack Helicopter?

CVReynolds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 01:44:05 pm »
I think it's cause there was a LGBT guy who came through and accused alot of people of being anti-gay for the smallest remarks on his LGBT hack. Too many people came to one guys defence and they had to close the thread. The Gender nuetral hacks just got added at a bad time.

Sure that had something to do with it (even though it's ridiculous to punish someone for the actions of another), but people were still attacking the gender neutral hacks before 6paklover started trolling. "Pointless, lazy, unnecessary" and such have been aimed at the gender neutral hacks, though the same could describe MANY hacks that don't get such flak. Some people viewed them as "Link changed to a girl" even though the hacks make it completely neutral. At least one user even called them disgusting. People can review what they want, I know, and I also know RHDN isn't censored (censorship is potentially dangerous). I just don't think there was any good time for the gender neutral hacks to be added to avoid the flak. It's unfortunate, but we'll move on. I just hope it isn't too disheartening for the guy making them for his daughter. He should keep making them as long as he pleases; it's his time and effort, after all. Though I don't personally need the hacks (as of now, anyway), I support his efforts. :3

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 01:50:23 pm »
Sure that had something to do with it (even though it's ridiculous to punish someone for the actions of another), but people were still attacking the gender neutral hacks before 6paklover started trolling. "Pointless, lazy, unnecessary" and such have been aimed at the gender neutral hacks, though the same could describe MANY hacks that don't get such flak. Some people viewed them as "Link changed to a girl" even though the hacks make it completely neutral. At least one user even called them disgusting. People can review what they want, I know, and I also know RHDN isn't censored (censorship is potentially dangerous). I just don't think there was any good time for the gender neutral hacks to be added to avoid the flak. It's unfortunate, but we'll move on. I just hope it isn't too disheartening for the guy making them for his daughter. He should keep making them as long as he pleases; it's his time and effort, after all. Though I don't personally need the hacks (as of now, anyway), I support his efforts. :3

I dislike all low effort hacks equally.

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 02:15:02 pm »
I don't find the hack itself, in a vacuum, offensive at all.  (Low effort, surely.)

The _reviews_ on it, however, are brigading and terribly offensive.  But, regardless of that... both this helicopter thing AND the gender neutral hacks arguably fall afoul of:

"Sprite-Only Hacks: Typically single or few sprite only hacks are considered incomplete and/or non-improvements, and will not be accepted (Think Naked Mario hacks). Extensively difficult or artistic sprite hacks however may be considered."

Don't get me wrong, I think inclusiveness is good.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 02:24:27 pm by Reiska »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 02:46:23 pm »
I don't find the hack itself, in a vacuum, offensive at all.  (Low effort, surely.)

The _reviews_ on it, however, are brigading and terribly offensive.  But, regardless of that... both this helicopter thing AND the gender neutral hacks arguably fall afoul of:

"Sprite-Only Hacks: Typically single or few sprite only hacks are considered incomplete and/or non-improvements, and will not be accepted (Think Naked Mario hacks). Extensively difficult or artistic sprite hacks however may be considered."

Don't get me wrong, I think inclusiveness is good.

What is art?

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 03:03:15 pm »
What is art?
Certainly not naked Mario hacks, as evidenced by the rule calling them out as an example of inappropriateness.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 03:06:06 pm »
I think the first gender nuetral hack was Zelda 3 and it was made by someone else who continued the series. It sounds like some of those hacks don't change very much cause they don't use gender defining words as much anymore.

Edit:Also note, the Zelda 3 hack started gender discussions so it's not suprising that there were reviews that discuss it.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 03:18:42 pm »
Certainly not naked Mario hacks, as evidenced by the rule calling them out as an example of inappropriateness.

Nowhere in the rule does it say "inappropriateness" is the reason for the rule or that citation. The rule is about hacks of little or no effort/worth.

I think the first gender nuetral hack was Zelda 3 and it was made by someone else who continued the series. It sounds like some of those hacks don't change very much cause they don't use gender defining words as much anymore.

Edit:Also note, the Zelda 3 hack started gender discussions so it's not suprising that there were reviews that discuss it.

First Gender Neutral Zelda could be said to be the BS Zelda games, since most or all of them let you change your gender.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 03:26:27 pm »
are gender hacks the new naked headless mario vs the dick nazis? news at 11

Reiska

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 03:46:18 pm »
Nowhere in the rule does it say "inappropriateness" is the reason for the rule or that citation. The rule is about hacks of little or no effort/worth.

Pardon me, I didn't mean "inappropriateness" in the sense that nudity was inappropriate content (I can see how it would be misunderstood that way), simply in that it was an example of a type of hack which was inappropriate for the site because, yes, such hacks were exemplary of little/no effort.

It's not that they're inappropriate content for the site because of their content, but simply that they are inappropriate with regard to the site's mission of providing high quality ROM hacks.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 04:01:48 pm »
Pardon me, I didn't mean "inappropriateness" in the sense that nudity was inappropriate content (I can see how it would be misunderstood that way), simply in that it was an example of a type of hack which was inappropriate for the site because, yes, such hacks were exemplary of little/no effort.

It's not that they're inappropriate content for the site because of their content, but simply that they are inappropriate with regard to the site's mission of providing high quality ROM hacks.

If that is the case, then your use of the word "innapropriate" to describe hacks that are not allowed is redundant. Of course hacks that are not allowed because they are not allowed are not allowed.

dougeff

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 04:16:32 pm »
What is art?

To each his own. If y'all don't like dat hack, y'all don't hav to play dat hack.

But, don't let naysayers tell you what to do. Make whatever hack you want. Good, bad, ugly. Whatever. I prefer good ones, myself.

Maybe some other guy prefers naked headless ones. Who am I to judge?

nesdoug.com -- blog/tutorial on programming for the NES

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »
I'm actually surprised that the gender neutral hacks and some of their reviews are still on the site. The hacks themselves are just simple text hacks. I was under the impression that such hacks were not allowed on the site due to their trivial nature, just as "simple sprite hacks". The reviews that vortex wrote for them are also questionable. Calling them vapid is entirely accurate, but he goes so far as to call them "disgusting" and "grotesque", which makes it impossible to hide the fact that he is bigoted asshole.

While I realize that the attack helicopter hack was intended to make fun of the gender swap hacks I think it and the hacks that change the gender of the character and the related text are a worthwhile addition.

What is art?

Is a question to give people an excuse to put their name on a urinal and pass it off as art. Is a question that gives people and excuse to produce 5 minutes of feedback and try to pass it off as a song.

First Gender Neutral Zelda could be said to be the BS Zelda games, since most or all of them let you change your gender.

That's not really gender neutral, that's gender inclusive.

are gender hacks the new naked headless mario vs the dick nazis? news at 11

Gender neutral hacks that only change a few words? I hope so. Gender swap hacks that go the extra mile to change the character sprites to the opposite sex and change the text accordingly? I hope not.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

magictrufflez

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 05:17:52 pm »

The _reviews_ on it, however, are brigading and terribly offensive.

Kind of my thought--not being a giant jerk about whatever message you're trying to get across (if you have one in the first place) should be rule 1.  I'm fine with the hacks being out there, but when you start stomping around and being, for lack of a better term, a bit of a real jackass, then I have some issues.  The one person last week definitely stepped over some lines, and I feel like the description/reviews for this one do too.

And for me personally, I get a little extra peeved when the commentary is trivializing something pretty serious that I know a few people in my life have dealt with for decades.

Say what you will about the dick-nazi hacks, I don't get the feeling it was made with malicious intent.  It's at that point I'm in the "If you don't like the hack, don't play it" crowd.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2016, 06:06:18 pm »
If that is the case, then your use of the word "innapropriate" to describe hacks that are not allowed is redundant. Of course, hacks that are not allowed because they are not allowed are not allowed.
I think you just broke my brain. *Fumes come out brain*

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2016, 06:28:43 pm »
You guys are gonna get this thread locked. The mods don't like these discussions.