News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 11558 times)

resq

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2016, 07:14:10 pm »
I'm a little bit disgusted with the community right now, all the attacks on the Legend of Zelda Gender Neutral hacks are unfounded! For one such attackers are saying it's disgusting and bringing up stuff about the LGBT community, when in fact it has ZERO to do with that community, if you read further into why the guy is doing it you will find that he said and I quote "One day my daughter might play video games, so I'm doing these hacks so she can feel like the hero/player, in fact the Japanese version on the original NES game had very few references to Link being a boy and even the creator said Link is an avatar for the player" We all know that in canon Link is male, but does it really hurt anyone that these hacks exist, it's not like you are being force to use them OR that they will be enforced in the re-release of any game, it sounds like people who hide behind the Attack Helicopter meme are plain out anti-gay and anti-woman, insecure guys attacking a father for making hacks for his daughter that even she might not even play one day. So think about that, a man does something gender neutral FOR HIS DAUGTER and all of a sudden it's a free pass at hate towards women and LGBT community.
I just wish people would make hacks that are good instead of merely gay. ::)

I dislike all low effort hacks equally.
Is that Zelda hack using the helicopter from Bionic Commando?

are gender hacks the new naked headless mario vs the dick nazis? news at 11
And then the derp got me I got bronchitis ain't nobody got time fo dat.

You guys are gonna get this thread locked. The mods don't like these discussions.
Naw it's coo we're being cordial and stuff. It's coo it's coo IT'S COO . .it's  .. coo.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 07:30:01 pm by resq »
Come with me if you want to live.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 08:05:03 pm »
Naw it's coo we're being cordial and stuff. It's coo it's coo IT'S COO . .it's  .. coo.

I don't know. They have been pretty lock happy lately and have been deleting a lot of stuff too.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 08:29:48 pm »
If it gets locked, it might be because someone had a bad experience with a helicopter or haunting memories of one. :laugh:

Zeikar

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 11:54:34 pm »
If it gets locked, it might be because someone had a bad experience with a helicopter or haunting memories of one. :laugh:
with one of the "ghosts" in the new Ghostbusters being a dragon, maybe there's a ghost of an attack helicopter, that movie just looks bad and not because it's 4 women, I feel like even if it was 4 men, we'd get crap because remakes go either way, but usually the bad way!

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 12:11:25 am »
with one of the "ghosts" in the new Ghostbusters being a dragon, maybe there's a ghost of an attack helicopter, that movie just looks bad and not because it's 4 women, I feel like even if it was 4 men, we'd get crap because remakes go either way, but usually the bad way!

I think that movie was doomed no matter what. We've been dicked around and promised on and off a Ghostbusters III since the 80's. Then Harold Ramis died and they shit this one out instead. It didn't have a chance. It never did, even when it could have been Ghostbusters III.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:17 am »
I think that movie was doomed no matter what. We've been dicked around and promised on and off a Ghostbusters III since the 80's. Then Harold Ramis died and they shit this one out instead. It didn't have a chance. It never did, even when it could have been Ghostbusters III.
The creators are so stupid that they thought the negative feedback was just about the lead cast being women thus they're making a male version. A different cast doesn't fix what was essentially broken in the trailer: everything BUT the gender of the main cast.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34:30 am »
The creators are so stupid that they thought the negative feedback was just about the lead cast being women thus they're making a male version. A different cast doesn't fix what was essentially broken in the trailer: everything BUT the gender of the main cast.

What if they purposefully made the female one bad so they could put all their effort into the male one. Then when people praise the male one, they can "prove" they are sexist.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 12:39:54 am »
What if they purposefully made the female one bad so they could put all their effort into the male one. Then when people praise the male one, they can "prove" they are sexist.

They should just come up with something original and possible do something good in the process instead of just rehashing and trying so desperately to cash in on the generation with the most spending power at the moment (those who were born and/or raised in the 80's). I'm getting sick of being pandered to so shamelessly.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:05:41 am »
I personally don't mind the idea of an all female ghostbusters film. I don't give much of a shit about the gender of the characters to be honest.

Heck, Janine in the cartoon was pretty fun and saved the day several times... At least until the assholes from Q5 came and changed everything for the worse, Janine included, because "You can't have women who doesn't behave like mothers; and she was kinda slutty", and my favourite "Sharp-edged glasses scare the children!".

...The problem with this new movie. for me at least, is that characters seem exagerated caricatures somewhat based on what the original characters were (Except that Egon would never lick the proton gun, for example) not actual characters, and the comedy seems to be pretty dumb for me. I don't know, I cringed hard by watching the trailers, like if I was watching an Adam Sandler movie... Well, maybe not that bad, but still...

I kinda feel bad for the actresses too, they are not to blame for what seems to be a horrible script and direction, some lines from the trailers are awful, and the references to the original movie make it worse. It's like they had a script for a (Bad) parody of the ghostbusters and decided to use it for a "real" movie.

And then you have lines like "I don't know if it was a race thing, or a lady thing, but I'm mad as hell"... Maybe the people didn't want to hold you when you plunge yourself towards them with very fucking dangerous equipment, just after you scream at them and call them sweaty freaks, and it's not a sexism/racism issue...

I also find "funny" how they went with an all female cast, but then also thought "Hey, the black character should be the black stereotype, and the other 3 will be white intelligent scientists!"... Seems backwards.

Like FCandChill says, it's everything else what is wrong, not the genders. It's just what seems to be another shitty remake. Although to be honest, there were also quite a few hate comments just about the genders...

I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

vortex

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 07:11:19 am »
I'm a little bit disgusted with the community right now, all the attacks on the Legend of Zelda Gender Neutral hacks are unfounded! For one such attackers are saying it's disgusting and bringing up stuff about the LGBT community, when in fact it has ZERO to do with that community.

It sounds like people who hide behind the Attack Helicopter meme are plain out anti-gay and anti-woman, insecure guys attacking a father for making hacks for his daughter that even she might not even play one day.

So think about that, a man does something gender neutral FOR HIS DAUGTER and all of a sudden it's a free pass at hate towards women and LGBT community.

The reviews that vortex wrote for them are also questionable. Calling them vapid is entirely accurate, but he goes so far as to call them "disgusting" and "grotesque", which makes it impossible to hide the fact that he is bigoted asshole.

For your information, I edited all 3 of my reviews into a lot more friendlier ones (pending in queue). I also did not call anyone a "bigoted asshole" in those reviews. And they were actually mocking the review called "what a nice concept", since this is clearly too much to handle: a vapid hack with such a nice/neat review.

By the way, what is a Neutral gender. Isn't that a definition of a hermaphrodite, aka shemale, or maybe a person with no genitals. Excuse me for thinking that women with penises are disgusting. So you are saying if someone thinks that, he is a "bigoted asshole".

If someone wanted a female to associate with the male character of the video game, he certainly has done a very poor and false job on this.

Not only are his actions vapid, they are completely unnecessary. I finished practically all Tomb Raiders (aka a man was playing a video game, in which a female was controled) and you don't see me crying for a gender neutral words or the change of the main sprite. The authors of Tomb Raider actually calculated that if a man will control a woman in the video game, that this will be beneficial in general, since we might "look after her more" than a male character.

Associating with charcters of video games directly is laughable. What if you are playing Donkey Kong. I hope you don't think you are a monkey, specially collecting all of those bananas, which you might hate in real life.

That's why the helicopter thing is in complete order. What if you control a helicopter, plane, tank, ship in a video game. What if you build houses in Sim City or build walls and move armies in some strategy games. Are you then not a "force" or "god" even, since you can control armies and build cities, make worlds. Obviuosly you don't think you are "that" in real life.

And there unfortunately IS a connection to LGBT in gender neutral, since if a woman wants to associate with Link and rescue Zelda out of the cell, you would be having a woman do a "man's job" of rescuing princesses and fighting pig-men. Isn't such a woman thus gay (behaves like a man). Or indeed, if a woman in rescuing another woman from a cell, we can assume she might like her, making her a lesbian by definition.

Saying the attack helicopter is anti-gay or anti-woman is false all the way.

Next time when a father wants to make a Zelda adoptation for his daughter and wants her to associate with the main character, do Change that character into a woman and thus change all instances of "boy" into "girl". Now a woman can indeed play as a woman.

But again this concept might be false again, since young women/girls might not enjoy playing a game where they rescue princesses out of jail. So maybe he should just buy her a Barbie game, so she can dress her up, rather than to go on a quest of saving the world, using the sword to kill soldiers. I really don't have an insight into what young girls prefer in a video game.

PS
I had various warnings issued and restricted access etc. So I really have no interest in further debates, conflicts or dramas, where people are calling me "bigoted asshole" just for stating my oppinion in an (unfriendly) review.

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 07:32:34 am »
Hiding behind the 'muh opinion' shield doesn't do much when you present your opinion filled with such irrational hatred and disgust.

Your reviews are completely blown out of proportion. "They provide all the wrong touches, and destroy the dialog in all ways possible." when in reality it doesn't change the dialogue in any meaningful way and would have to cross check most of the changes with the games original script to even be able to tell when and where something was changed.

"It’s grotesque, it’s unnecessary, and it’s vapid." They are shallow hacks to be sure, but changing gender specific pronouns to non specific pronouns is hardly grotesque.

You might want to not attack other people with your opinion if you don't want to be attacked with theirs.

vortex

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 07:36:51 am »
Hiding behind the 'muh opinion' shield doesn't do much when you present your opinion filled with such irrational hatred and disgust.

Your reviews are completely blown out of proportion. "They provide all the wrong touches, and destroy the dialog in all ways possible." when in reality it doesn't change the dialogue in any meaningful way and would have to cross check most of the changes with the games original script to even be able to tell when and where something was changed.

"It’s grotesque, it’s unnecessary, and it’s vapid." They are shallow hacks to be sure, but changing gender specific pronouns to non specific pronouns is hardly grotesque.

You might want to not attack other people with your opinion if you don't want to be attacked with theirs.

Yes I know, that's why I edited my reviews out (edits pending in queue) and basically self censored myself. I hope this will end the drama.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 07:41:15 am »
He baited you guys into talking about more gender issues and you all took it. How about talking about ROM hacks added to the database for a while instead if women should be ghostbusters?

popehentai

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 07:43:17 am »
there sure are a lot of assumptions here, so lets get it all out there.

This Zelda hack had nothing to do with the "LGBT pac man hack", and was done months ago. It WAS a reply to the slew of "gender neutral" hacks, though. They, to me, are pointless, and require very little work, as they are nothing but minor text replacements, low effort, and as far as i'm concerned, meaningless politicking. Something that makes my old "wilford Brimley" hacks look like high art.  It is entirely possible to identify with a character of a different gender, or orientation, and often useful to be involved in stories that allow you to do so. The "attack helicopter" meme came about because of all the absurd "genders" made popular on tumblr, where they often take a sexual preference or kink and attempt to claim its their "gender identity".

Its not anti-gay so much as its anti- whatever-made-up-crap-tumblr-farts-out-gender.

Is that Zelda hack using the helicopter from Bionic Commando?

Good eyes! This was done as low effort as possible, as the hacks its parodying are done with just as much effort.

July 05, 2016, 07:45:57 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
"Sprite-Only Hacks: Typically single or few sprite only hacks are considered incomplete and/or non-improvements, and will not be accepted (Think Naked Mario hacks). Extensively difficult or artistic sprite hacks however may be considered."

The text crawl is changed to the "attack helicopter" meme as well.

flame

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 12:35:05 pm »
I think it's cause there was a LGBT guy who came through and accused alot of people of being anti-gay for the smallest remarks on his LGBT hack. Too many people came to one guys defence and they had to close the thread. The Gender nuetral hacks just got added at a bad time.
I hereby accuse this guy (the "attack helicopter" patch author) of trolling.
I rate your troll 10/10 - would be trolled again.

popehentai

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 01:05:29 pm »
I hereby accuse this guy (the "attack helicopter" patch author) of trolling.
I rate your troll 10/10 - would be trolled again.

The post above yours literally explains everything. It had nothing to do with Pac man and everything to do with the low effort "gender neutral" hacks.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2016, 01:31:27 pm »
I had various warnings issued and restricted access etc. So I really have no interest in further debates, conflicts or dramas, where people are calling me "bigoted asshole" just for stating my oppinion in an (unfriendly) review.
What is entailed is restricted access? Just curious...

Also anyone can be submitted to the database so long as it passes the guidelines:
RHDN accepts hacks that fall into five categories. If your hack falls into more than one category, choose the one you think best represents the purpose of your hack.

Complete: A hack that completely changes one or more aspect(s) throughout the entire game (levels, graphics, text, etc.). For instance, a complete graphics and level hack would consist of most or all graphics and levels changed.
    Spoof: Complete Hacks that specialize in humor, usually being parodies of the original game. They also frequently contain adult content. The same rules apply to them as do Complete hacks.
    Improvement: These hacks improve on some aspect of the original game, while leaving the majority of the original content intact. An example would be a hack that adds a new powerup to a platformer, or a new magic spell in an RPG. Improvement hacks are often ones intended to be used as a base for other hacks. While hacks that rebalance difficulty or modify game mechanics may be considered improvement hacks, those that apply simple cheats (infinite lives, invincibility, game genie or pro action relay codes) are considered out of scope for RHDN.
    Bugfix: A subcategory of Improvement for easy filtering; these are Improvement hacks that only fix bugs in the original game. This covers code, data and/or graphical fixes.
    Addendum: A hack of a another person’s hack to completely revamp it, improve the hack, or fix a bug. This should not be submitted as a patch for the original game so proper credit and community ethics are observed.

The following types of hacks are not accepted:

Demos/Alphas/Betas: Any incomplete version of a hack, usually given out well before the final version is ready, for feedback or other purposes is not accepted. You may post such hacks on the forum.
    Texture Packs: Commonly made for Nintendo 64 games, and consisting of new textures which will be loaded in place of the originals. Actual texture hacks are acceptable ( as long as they are complete ), however these packs are not.
    Sprite-Only Hacks: Typically single or few sprite only hacks are considered incomplete and/or non-improvements, and will not be accepted (Think Naked Mario hacks). Extensively difficult or artistic sprite hacks however may be considered.
    Emulator Specific Hacks: Any hacks that are known to only run properly on a single emulator such as ZSNES or Nesticle only hacks.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 01:37:45 pm by FCandChill »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »
You don't need to "identify" with the MC to enjoy a game or a story. Lately all the garbage media journobloggers and gawker-loving tumblrettas preach crap like this just to be a nuisance and keep on chasing windmills.

But what the hell am I saying, it's 2016, I mean COME ON

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 03:34:27 pm »
The sad thing is when a helicopter wants to give another one a smooch on the lips, they both die from a horrible collision! Its like it was never meant to be  :'(  :'(  :'(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWJvuG6fUQw

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 03:39:18 pm »
That's because "It is a machine that exists to kill".

https://youtu.be/J4bT7y6ZOlk

"Chopper"
Emergency Broadcast Network