News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy IV - Break Damage Limit  (Read 7117 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy IV - Break Damage Limit
« on: March 04, 2015, 11:35:46 pm »

Update By: chillyfeez

Black Mages of the World, Rejoice!

Your ultimate spell, Meteo, is no longer doomed to obsolescence at the hands of Rydia's Bahamut summon.

Thanks to the ROM Hacking efforts of chillyfeez, avalanche and JCE3000GT, the 9999 damage limit in Final Fantasy IV has been broken!

The true maximum damage per target that the game can handle is 16383, and this mod allows you to get there!

Well, what are you waiting for?
Download the mod now and get ready to knock Zeromus's HP down to zero!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2343/)

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy IV - Break Damage Limit
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:22:03 am »
Nice work on this guys!

JCE3000GT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:08 pm »
I'm so glad you guys were able to solve the 5th digit display issue.  Love to see more of these FFIV / FFIIUS mods that improve the experience.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 03:33:00 pm »
Cool stuff man. I think 9999 even went as far as Final Fantasy VIII but was shattered in some places. Will this work okay in Project II or Namingway without causing problems?

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 04:53:34 pm »
So, it's breaking the damage limit, yet not breaking the party's HP limit :)
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:10 pm »
I'm so glad you guys were able to solve the 5th digit display issue.  Love to see more of these FFIV / FFIIUS mods that improve the experience.
This one would have never even occurred to me to try without the work you did first, JCE3000GT.

Cool stuff man. I think 9999 even went as far as Final Fantasy VIII but was shattered in some places. Will this work okay in Project II or Namingway without causing problems?
It absolutely should work with Project II and Namingway. It's pretty low on the intrusive scale. I had to write 19 bytes of custom assembly that are wedged in at the very end of the block used for events. Waaaaay, way down. So it should be fine.

So, it's breaking the damage limit, yet not breaking the party's HP limit :)
Yes. Unfortunately, breaking the party's HP limit is a much trickier proposition. For the most part, the system was already in place in FFIV to display the 10000s place in the bouncy damage numbers - like it was part of the original plan then abandoned. To break the Party HP limit, one would have to expand the battle window by the width of two sprites, which would require reworking both of the main windows at the bottom of the screen, not to mention the target window for curative spells. I spent some time looking into battle windows before this venture and they are wicked complicated.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »
Saw this the second I got on and immediately put in my project. Works perfectly! Epic work man guys!
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Digitsie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 09:01:52 pm »
Just run an IPS Patch checker (and make sure your patches are both using the same 'state' of headered/nonheadered roms.

If it's 100 percent compatibile, you're good.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 12:53:45 pm »
I'm late to the party as usual, but this is very nice! Congrats!  :thumbsup:

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 02:34:14 pm »
To break the Party HP limit, one would have to expand the battle window by the width of two sprites, which would require reworking both of the main windows at the bottom of the screen, not to mention the target window for curative spells. I spent some time looking into battle windows before this venture and they are wicked complicated.
Remove max HP or replace it with a percentage?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:23:06 pm »
Actually, KingMike, JCE and I were bouncing some ideas around a bit to that effect.
My FFIV User Options patch already makes use of a percentage that represents the ATB timer and replaces the Max HP display, so there's some proof of concept.
I was actually thinking about replacing that percentage with a meter, which could be toggled between ATB and Max HP.
If the meter was four characters wide, it could make for a pretty accurate percentage representation (each pixel of width represents 3%), and would allow enough room for five-digit Current HP display.
It's all quite doable, but I have quite a bit on my plate at the moment.
This is something I will be tackling in good time, though.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

thepatrickinator

• Restricted Access
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 09:04:23 pm »
This is a very good game patch and I'd recommend it for Final Fantasy IV: Playable Golbez Edition. It will be useful for anyone who wants to use Meteo on Golbez's imposter.