News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 14774 times)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:39 pm »
There was one person who tried to do a really good SotN hack. It wasn't just a difficulty(numbers) mod. It looked like a lot of work was going into reprogramming and graphics. But he decided the PSX game, as a base, was too limiting and moved to Game Maker or Unity. Last I saw he had FMVs in WMV format. Can't say he's all there, but his heart seems to be mostly in the right place and the effort he's putting into it is really high.

That was SOTN Hacked by Esco. He was still making it last I heard, but rebuilding the game from the ground up is gonna take time.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2016, 06:47:37 pm »
Although the game allows the player to input their own name for Link and become the hero in an immersive experience, all of the characters in the game still refer to the player as male. This patch replaces the male pronouns referring to Link (the player) with gender-neutral pronouns (for example: “kid” instead of “boy”).

The Wind Waker allows the player to become the hero by inputting their own name at the start of the game but then continues to use male pronouns when referring to the player regardless of the player’s actual gender. Link’s physical appearance and grunting vocalizations don’t really identify Link as a specific gender, and there’s absolutely nothing in the story of the game that requires the hero to be specifically male.

What?? And what about all the Rpg games where you can input the hero's name?
These are lazy patches. If you want to play as a woman, change the character graphics too, at least. The next will be Chrono Trigger?
I can't see why someone would waste time doing a patch like that.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2016, 06:57:38 pm »
What?? And what about all the Rpg games where you can input the hero's name?
These are lazy patches. If you want to play as a woman, change the character graphics too, at least. The next will be Chrono Trigger?
I can't see why someone would waste time doing a patch like that.
I'm going to be defense on this one only once.

1. This was started by a dad who wanted to do something neat for their kid, if you've read the LTTP description.  Cut the man some slack, he's probably doing the best to his ability and time.  Wouldn't you want to do the best you could do for your daughter?  Bias?  Yeah, but put yourself in the father's shoes here.  It's more than just "I did it just because" in this case.

2. Unsure if it was his intention or not (I'm betting 100% no because it never is), but there's also the side-joy of those who'd rather it unaltered.  I know of some agender friends who think this is a neat idea.

I see your point, but there's always the option of making graphics addendums at least because he'd probably appreciate the helping hand.   Also, sorry for bringing up the dead argument yet again.

The next will be Chrono Trigger?
I'm surprised the Oracle games or Majora's Mask weren't tackled first.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 09:02:31 pm by Chronosplit »

mrrichard999

• So Goooood! :D
    • View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2016, 08:41:36 pm »
I gotta say the new hack for Zelda (which is not on this list) playing as a helicopter really made my day!  ;D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2016, 09:01:54 pm »
I gotta say the new hack for Zelda (which is not on this list) playing as a helicopter really made my day!  ;D
I agree, the reference is pretty funny and it even looks good to boot. :laugh:

KyleRXZero

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2016, 11:35:37 pm »

Hilarious  :laugh: I remember reading something about it on baddesthacks.net, but I thought it was a joke. This is too awesome.

Agrias Oaks

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:46 pm »
That hack is oppressive to women

Imagine being so privileged that your idea of oppression is a hack of a 30 years old game.  :laugh:

A_Sprite

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 03:07:59 am »
>
Imagine being so privileged that your idea of oppression is a hack of a 30 years old game.  :laugh:

I know. I can't believe the slowburn meltdowns the divas are having about those gender neutral Zelda hacks. "Stop being so dramatic, and play your game the way I tell you to! I can't live in a world where I don't know what Link's body looks like!"

It's no wonder why they're playing as attack helicopters now - sure, it comes from ignorance, but it's the bubble wrap they need to cope with a reality where the medical and scientific communities have largely abandoned the long held stone age beliefs about binary gender identity. It was just as hard, once, for their ancestors to get past the idea that the Earth wasn't the center of the solar system.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:10:25 am by A_Sprite »

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 05:07:30 am »
I know. I can't believe the slowburn meltdowns the divas are having about those gender neutral Zelda hacks. "Stop being so dramatic, and play your game the way I tell you to! I can't live in a world where I don't know what Link's body looks like!"

It probably has more to do with the lack of depth featured in these hacks. I mean, as far as I can tell the only difference is a handful of words.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 05:46:12 am »
Maybe the next Zelda hack will have the player as an Anvil :P

Axiphel

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2016, 06:53:40 am »
I don't really see the point in a gender neutral hack. I personally don't need a character to be the same gender as me to play or "identify" with. But it's there for those that lack the ability to play a character that isn't their own gender I suppose.

Maeson

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2016, 07:13:23 am »
Maybe the next Zelda hack will have the player as an Anvil :P

I would like to see an anvil using the Pegasus Boots. That's some dangerous shit right there.
I'm off for some time. If for some weird, strange, and important reason, you need to talk to me, just send me a PM and probably I'll read it whenever I come back.

FCandChill

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2016, 09:33:57 am »
I don't really see the point in a gender neutral hack. I personally don't need a character to be the same gender as me to play or "identify" with. But it's there for those that lack the ability to play a character that isn't their own gender I suppose.
Just because you don't want it ... doesn't mean others don't. There's a hack for everyone out there!

mrrichard999

• View Profile
    • GameFAQS Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2016, 10:40:31 am »
I heard the famous star of the 80's, the helicopter from Airwolf, was loving that helicopter Zelda hack  ;D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:15 am »
I heard the famous star of the 80's, the helicopter from Airwolf, was loving that helicopter Zelda hack  ;D
I heard Gyro Man's tweet through Air Man's Twitter brought a lot of attention to it.

Just because you don't want it ... doesn't mean others don't. There's a hack for everyone out there!
Quoting for emphasis.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2016, 01:37:43 pm »
So, I tell y'all to knock it off in one thread, and it gets moved to another.

Yeah.

No.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016