News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Arcade Game Studio...  (Read 1237 times)

Amaweks

• View Profile
    • Game and Art Projects (A/R/Tographic diary)
Arcade Game Studio...
« on: June 23, 2016, 02:33:58 pm »
Not romhacking related, but "retrogame" related...

I do not know if anyone here ever seen or used it, but I am finishing my second game using the "Arcade Game Studio" (ARGS), Bruno R. Marcos. The program is free, and more than a game engine it is a solution to make arcade style Ghouls and Ghosts, Bomberman, Commando, Horizontal or Vertical Shooters, without knowing a line of programming.

http://www.bruneras.com/arcadegamestudio/index.php

Not the most versatile of all programs, and it serves more to certain specific types of games, however, you see the results coming very fast. View results with little production time is something important for an amateur who has little time available.

Another thing that helps a lot is how to mount the stages. The assembly of tiles is simple and direct: you selects the tiles (16X16) on the tileset and past it on the stage. Then, you click and add 8X8 markers to define what is solid, platform, spikes, ladder, etc ... In the end, you have the option to plan the scenario (like in a normal production), or create the level design in real time by setting the trial and error (or at least, use this method to test).

The program came to light in 2012, so I wonder why so few games have been produced by this program... this is why I'm making an "advertising" of the program here. Speaking of advertising, I'm almost finishing my second game:
http://gamejolt.com/games/marlow-in-apocalyptic-acid-world-wip/91292

Soon, when the game is finalized, I will release the "source code" (actually the game's project files in ARGS) for those who want to use to learn how to work in the program, or use graphics and sounds I've created in your ow projects.

breech

• View Profile
Re: Arcade Game Studio...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 07:56:24 am »
[edit] found it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:26:18 am by breech »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 03:02:24 am »
Sounds really interesting !

Your link is broken.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:46:21 pm by Bregalad »

torridgristle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2018, 02:29:46 pm »
Looks like the website died unfortunately. It's archived but the download page used a mess of a system with captchas and all so the software wasn't archived by Archive.org

However, according to the download page the last version appears to be Arcade Game Studio 1.34 and this was uploaded to a few sites, and here it is hosted on Mega if you don't like those Softpedia-type websites.

There's an unofficial manual offered by Cellulo here and he's said that the next update to the manual will include the installer now that the website is closed.

It's a shame it doesn't appear to be all that popular, it looks nice enough.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:00:00 pm by torridgristle »