News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What are you looking for in a ROM hack?  (Read 5901 times)

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: What are you looking for in a ROM hack?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 09:04:01 am »
I like translations, major improvements, and Complete remakes, I dislike hacks that put the difficulty through the roof intentionally (Except Combo Killer, I Love You Combo Killer :P)

Anyway what I look for the most is quality, if its obvious that its something that had significant time and effort put in, its more likely its going to be something I can enjoy.
Sleepy's tune of the week|| Lost Lullabies (Unreleased Samurai Champloo tracks)|| https://youtu.be/BK6PR8DPNOw

Touko White

• View Profile
    • 101Gamers
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2016, 12:50:06 pm »
Creativity and playability among anything else.
If something is not as playable or there isn't so much good ideas it's not so much a good hack to me.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2016, 03:16:59 pm »
There are three things I look for in a hack:

1) nakedness
2) headlessness
3) naziness

jk
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2016, 08:48:55 pm »

1) nakedness
2) headlessness
3) naziness

jk

Naziness?
 :o
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Rotwang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2016, 11:53:35 pm »
Naziness?
 :o

Oh, yes!

1) nakedness
2) headlessness
3) naziness

jk

Same, but without the "jk"

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2016, 11:56:32 pm »
Oh, like Nazis.
I thought we were talking about a noun representing the state of being nazy... An adjective with which I am entirely unfamiliar.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

M-Tee

• One pixel at a timeā€¦
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2016, 09:53:57 am »
Commercial-level quality control, content, and polish.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2016, 10:51:12 am »

I know what you meant but my first thought when reading that was "have you seen what some games try to call fit for sale?".

popehentai

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2016, 11:23:47 am »

1) nakedness
2) headlessness
3) naziness

jk

I like your way of thinking there, its just sad nobody has said "Wilford Brimley" yet.

nesrocks

• View Profile
    • nesrocks.com
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2016, 01:24:44 pm »
Should I revert everything I did on the super pitfall hack then?  :laugh:

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »
I like your way of thinking there, its just sad nobody has said "Wilford Brimley" yet.

Don't feel sad, pope! Wilford Brimley Battle and Wilford Kong were some of the first rom hacks I tried.  :)

There isn't any one particular thing I look for in hack, to be honest. As long as I have fun or get some laughs out of playing something, I dig it.
Translations, sprite hacks, random level hacks or mechanic tweaks to shake up the experience a little - I like a fair chunk of the whole spectrum.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2016, 06:28:20 pm »

1) nakedness
2) headlessness
3) naziness

jk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18eE33juE8
Come with me if you want to live.

optomon

• Rite of Spring
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »
1) complete overhaul hacks that have the look and feel of a completely new game, especially those with original content and artistic ingenuity.

2) Challenging level hacks of my favorite NES games, without gimmicks or questionable graphical changes. Basically, a "second quest" type of hack.

3) music hacks, especially those with original compositions.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2016, 12:56:35 am »
Almost always I'm looking for translations and bugfix/objective improvement hacks that don't feature much in the way of radical gameplay changes.  Some call the majority of these minor hacks.  I also like restorations of cut content or uncensoring.  I'll do new level hacks of games like Mario or Sonic too if they're really good quality and don't try to be extremely hard.

I also tend to hold a very high standard of quality, and I can't stand for many glitches no matter how minor.  This goes both ways, to the point that updates to my own projects are rapid-fire as soon as I find out about them. :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:36:57 pm by Chronosplit »

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2016, 10:17:55 am »
Mainly translations. But I really like improvements when a game is notouriously bad in this aspect. For example, Stef's hack of Street Fighter 2 SCE (fixing the sound driver), or some better palette hacks (some by Pyron's or Maxfarras' Super SF2).

One day, I'll hack Rastan Saga 2 to death and make it the best arcade game of the 16-bits area  ;D

zstandig

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2016, 11:11:05 am »
My favorite hacks are the kind that do one of three things or all of them.

-*fix* a game. What that means depends on who you ask. My perception of fix is to de-censor games, give a cleaner translation, introduce more advanced features (like battery backed saving), porting features from later games or foreign releases, that sort of thing.

-translate a text heavy game into English, this gives me a new experience and an opportunity to play a game that I would other wise not be able to play.

-Allow a prototype or some other game to be played on a console that it was never intended to be on.

Complete hacks are good in there own right, but I often find myself craving the original game when I play them.

Bahamut ZERO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2016, 12:53:15 pm »
I also enjoy spoof hacks when the hit the right nails on the head. One that hits more than any other I've come across (I've only ever tried a few, would love to see more) would be the FF5 Spoof for snes. Granted, some of the time the dialogues a bit hit-and-miss, but when the ball's rolling that hack fires on all cylinders! It's what got me interested in messing around with SNES-era RPGs.
Like Super Mario Land? Then you'll love my first completed Rom Hack: Maniac on the Run!

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2016, 03:27:14 am »
mostly translations but ff6 bnw gives me a big woody

CM30

• View Profile
    • Gaming Reinvented (in beta testing)
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2016, 11:12:36 am »
I'm mostly looking for completely new games which use the engine of the original but make something fresh and interesting from it. New graphics, new world designs, new music, new enemies and bosses, new items and game mechanics... that's the sort of thing I like in a ROM hack or game mod. For example, I loved the idea of the URA Zelda Restoration before it was cancelled:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQHCRESHtaQ

Hence Project Beta Triforce is exactly the kind of thing I'm looking forward to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kehj0S5_IM

And that sort of 'change everything to make a fantastic new game' mindset is one that's going into Mario's Nightmare Quest, my own SMW ROM hack. I'm trying to make a Mario mod that feels like it could be a whole new game for a (perhaps more powerful) system.  It's why I love the Second Reality Project games and what not.

Challenge hacks I'd like more if they knew the difference between 'hard' and 'unfair'. Too many ROM hacks think challenging means 'cheap to the point of needing constant save states and rewinds' and throwing traps at you that you can't dodge without being psychic. For example, this is an example of a Mario ROM hack which was just utter and complete unfair bullshit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7cPS2cerFM

It may be 'hard', but that's at least partly because you literally can't see what kills you.  And while it's an exaggerated example (in my opinion, the most unfair game of all time), it illustrates the problem with a lot of hard hacks and games; difficulty done in a cheap way for the sake of being infuriating rather than fun. I avoid most 'challenge' and 'kaizo' games because they're closer to Battletoads than say, Dark Souls. The former is trial and error, the is 100% based skill based.

I would play more hacks that fix games if I was a fan of at least one broken game to begin with.

Like Wario?  If so, check out Wario Forums today!

Similarly, want to test a new gaming site?  Check out Gaming Reinvented! Now in beta!

GunMatrixROMS

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2016, 02:18:39 pm »
Are you asking for requests?
If soi suppose you'd have to say what games you are able to hack.