News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB3 Letters from Princess mistranslation solved?  (Read 5773 times)

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
SMB3 Letters from Princess mistranslation solved?
« on: June 14, 2016, 04:34:26 am »
I'm trying to translate Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) into my language, but then I found that Peach has her letters smh mismatched with the order. But according to other ppl, those letters are suppose to be hints when players new to the game have some backtracking to do after finishing it.

This blog had summed up some "mysteries" behind the cryptic letters -
http://deterest.blogspot.com/2013/09/smb3-letters-from-princess.html

The cryptic letters I encountered is World3 letter

It was pointed out that its highly probable that the White Blocks that the letter was mentioning are those throwable blocks

Also, this line in the JP ROM of SMB3 has this message located at 0x0366c0

しろいぶろっくは てきを けちらす
まほうの ちからが あるそうよ

Roughly thrown into GT reads -
White block will distract the enemy
It seems to have magical powers

replace けちらす with an equivalent word 蹴散らす
makes it say -
White block kick about the enemy
It seems to have magical powers

The other one is from World6

This doesn't make sense because there were no Whistle on World3
It was pointed out that it could have been World 1-Level 3, which where a Whistle is hidden.

However, in Japanese the letter reads, located at 0x036749 -
ピーチは とても げんきよ
いちわわーるどの みっつめの ごーるの
かげで きのぴおから まほうのふえを
もらって ください

GT says
Peach is very Genki
Ichiwarudo goal of Me three
The flute from Toad of magic in the shadow
Please got

Change those italicized words we get
ピーチは とても 元気よ
一ワールド三つめの ごーる
かげで きのぴおから まほうのふえを
もらって ください

Peach is very healthy
The goal of the item three goes one World
The flute from Toad of magic in the shadow
Please got
(Weird Peach refers to herself by her name)

If I understand this correctly, it probably says
I'm fine. Please get the Magic Flute from Toad in the shadows of World 1-Stage 3 or World 1-3
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:39:50 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: SMB3 Letters from Princess mistranslation solved?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 09:56:35 am »
The italicized part in that hint does say the third goal of the first world.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:15:50 pm »
Google Translation sucks. If you're doing machine translation, try to look up individual words in dictionnaries.

ピーチは とても げんきよ
いちわわーるどの みっつめの ごーるの
かげで きのぴおから まほうのふえを
もらって ください

I'm very well.
Where the shadow of the first world's third goal is,
please receive the Magic Flute from Kinopio (Toad).

Literally translated, Peach refers to herself in third person, but that's very common in Japanese. There's a "yo" particle in the end that emphasizes an affirmative tone (like, "I'm really fine, honest, don't worry about me.")

The reason why you get different translations when you "fix" those italicized words, is that Google Translator translates the exact same word differently depending on the way it's written (three different ways, equivalent to upper case or lower case in English), and even depending on the spaces (which shouldn't matter in Japanese) and punctuation (... no comment on that one). Yes, that's how bad it is.

In this case, the words "goal" and "world" (which are in translitterated English in the Japanese text) are written in a different case than expected (thanks to the NES PPU limitations) so Google Translator mashed them with words next to them and spit that out untranslated to "fix" the problem.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 07:20:51 pm by GHANMI »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:01:18 pm »
Properly translated, the first message would read something like "There seems to be a magic power that can rout your foes in the white blocks."

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 05:00:04 am »
Thanks for the input, guys  :)

Like I said first post, I'm trying to translate Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) into my language.
Does anybody know how to get this message?

"Hurry! Hurry! Get the magic wand from Little Koopa."

I can't seem to trigger it; is it in the World Castles?

Quick Curly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 08:13:05 am »
You can trigger it if you visit the End Castle after the airship flies away from it, which occurs after you lose on the airship level the first time, as long as you didn't use an Anchor item. :beer:

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 09:26:48 am »
Thanks, QC!  :beer:

Almost done. I took the liberty of rearranging the letters in their ideal proper order (except for World 6's)

----
*Yeuch* I just discovered that the message from the JP & US versions are extremely different

According to this link - http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_j-e.shtml
No joke

The Japanese SMB3 features a more serious Princess Toadstool. In the Japanese version, Princess Toadstool originally said, "Thank you! Finally, peace returns to the Mushroom World. The end!"
I'm inclining to use the JP version message but maybe its practical to do the US version. idk  :-\

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 01:41:26 pm »
Fun fact: Super Mario Advance 4 uses a direct translation of the Japanese message instead of the English version's gag.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 04:55:25 pm »
I know alot of translations base their translations on English translations, but you'd probably get a better translation if you translated the japanese script instead.

You're gonna wind up with a franken-translation, taking parts from the US and JP versions.

FCandChill

• View Profile
###
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:47:46 pm »
Comment removed because reasons...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:33:59 pm by FCandChill »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 08:32:18 pm »
Fun fact: Super Mario Advance 4 uses a direct translation of the Japanese message instead of the English version's gag.
Really?! I'd better try it out for reference.

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2016, 09:00:52 am »
From whatever little I know about Nintendo's GBA remakes, even they are Frankenstein translations, so use caution when relying on those.

ALTTP was heavily rewritten for the JP GBA release, but the English GBA version was essentially a rewrite of the English SNES version with some lines changed (like "Zelda is your destiny" - originally "You are Zelda's [last hope?]" in the JP text... biggest giveaway is how Cane of Somaria remained named as such in the US/PAL GBA version even though it was changed to Cane of Somasoa for the JP GBA release). Seems like most of Nintendo's rereleases are a weird mix of original localized text and the occasional retranslated sentence.

By the way, why wouldn't you work on the GBA version instead? It's by far the superior version and the font is expanded to allow for more characters than the NES/SNES versions. Even in the off-chance you had gripes with its artistic direction, the graphics are easy to modify (and restoring the original monochrome graphics for end of level/W8 sections should make for an interesting hack).

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2016, 10:10:52 am »
By the way, why wouldn't you work on the GBA version instead? It's by far the superior version and the font is expanded to allow for more characters than the NES/SNES versions. Even in the off-chance you had gripes with its artistic direction, the graphics are easy to modify (and restoring the original monochrome graphics for end of level/W8 sections should make for an interesting hack).
I'd say I'm doing baby steps. I'll try if I could hack it.

BTW gosh the GBA port looks great... but the voices are a little annoying. Gonna use that patch that removes it  ;D

KillerBob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2016, 03:27:48 am »
Almost done. I took the liberty of rearranging the letters in their ideal proper order (except for World 6's)
The only real mistake was that the letters received at the end of Worlds 2 and 3 switched places with each other during the original localization. It was finally corrected when the game was released on the Game Boy Advance. Maybe the translations on this page can be helpful: http://www.lltvg.com/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3/ja-en

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 01:51:40 pm »
So is this hack dead? Also, what language you translating it to?