News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda II Editor - Sword II - Work in Progress  (Read 7208 times)

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
Re: Zelda II Editor - Sword II - Work in Progress
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 01:33:00 am »
The editor is progressing slowly but surely. I bought a new computer, so the transition (files, prefs, etc.) took most of my time lately. Anyway, more screenshots!

Two new things in the Overworld Editor. First, I set the groups fields to decimal instead of hexadecimal. It seems more natural to say that you are allowed 801 groups, instead of 321 (321 is ambiguous). However, some other things, like Area Numbers and Enemy Codes, seem to make more sense in hexadecimal. Eventually, I could set a preference somewhere where the user can choose between the two...

The second thing is the Exit control, at the top-right. It replaced the "Second part" flag chechbox. This was a bad (and very outdated) interpretation of a flag in the Area Attributes tables. For a long time, I thought there was only one bit that somehow controlled whether you get out of a cave through another Area (like at the south of Ruto) or from the same spot. There are actually two. These two bits (0-3) are the negative offset of the Area Code from which you're supposed to exit the Area. In other words, take the Area Code you are editing, subtract the value of these two bits, and you get the destination Area on the Overworld. If set to 0, you come out at the same spot, like most areas, for example, the Trophy Cave north of North Castle. If you select Area 02 (the little forest square north-east of North Castle), and set the exit bits to 01, you'll come out of the location of Area 01, which is the Trophy Cave (02 - 1 = 01)...

Next thing is the Enemy Editor. I added a damage table, fully editable, which goes hand in hand with the Damage Code associated to each enemy. Each column, numbered 1 to 8, represent Link's Life Level. Follow the row of the Damage Code of the enemy and you'll see how it damages Link. Link's Life bar has 32 units per square, for a maximum of 256 units when maxed out. Only a few enemies in the game have Damage Code 5, which is quite lethal, even at Life Level 8. As far as I know, the only "enemy" in the game with Damage Code 6 is the Energy Barrier at the entrance of Great Palace. Damage Code 7 would make any enemy a one-shot killer. Ouch...

Next, I drilled through all major regions for enemy graphics, including the bosses. Most enemies show up correctly, including some invisible objects, like generators. For now, generators for Bago Bago, Moby, Dumb Moblin, Falling Blocks, Tinsuit, Mau all have the same image as the enemy they generate. I will either create arbitrary icons, like the Bubbles Generator and the Rocks Generator, or use the same graphics with an icon overlay (an "infinite" symbol or a "G"). The only thing that does not show up correctly is Gooma, the boss of the 5th Palace. This is where the game is stupid. All major regions can have a maximum of 0x24 enemies (36 decimal). All tables related to enemies (attributes, HP, etc.) are 0x24 bytes long, even if some Enemy Codes are unused. Palaces Type A and B are both in Bank 4. They apparently lacked space, so there are Enemy Codes that are shared among multiple enemies, and the game selects the enemy according to the Palace you are in...

Enemy Code 0x20 can be either Horsehead or Rebonack
Enemy Code 0x21 can be either Helmethead, Gooma or Barba
Enemy Code 0x22 can be either Floating Helmet or Carock

Ridiculous. There is extra code in Bank 4 where some enemy attributes, like HP, are set according to Palace Code and whatnot. The editor differentiates between Palaces Type A and B, so all bosses are separate entities, except one pair: code 0x21 Helmethead/Gooma. I'll have to make an exception just for that, maybe some kind of "alternate" editing mode...

The third thing I worked on is the Side View Object selection rectangle highlights, that are supposed to follow the actual size of the selected object (the middle column in the screenshot). It works for most objects, but it needs a few tweakings for, again, exceptions. Many objects have arbitrary sizes, and some others don't really have a "dimension" per se, like the "Skip" object or the object that lets you change the default Ceiling/Floor levels. That last one will show up as a vertical line or something similar...

Stay tuned for more progress, and as usual, questions and suggestions are welcome...

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2016, 01:57:04 pm »
How about giving Link more battle utility with his sword, like Zero in the Megaman Zero Series?

Also if this editor is done, I might do a graphic hack.
I once did a mock-up.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,12330.msg264014.html#msg264014

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 08:22:22 am »
How about giving Link more battle utility with his sword, like Zero in the Megaman Zero Series?

I don't think that's the point of this editor and that probably delves way, way farther into ASM.
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

hackingdes

• View Profile
    • hackear instagram
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 12:16:08 pm »
Looks so cool! Congrats. Keep working on it!

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 12:39:21 am »
Thanatos, if you're talking about new moves, I've been working on some. I have a Charged Sword move, which is almost finished, and plan to work on a Spin Attack in the future. The Charged Sword will have the effect of increasing the damage, as well as increasing the range of the Flying Sword. Recoil forces should be modified too. Very promising...

Like Justin said, the editor won't do that specifically, but I will try to insert as many variables as possible, that the user can change, like jumping heights, some frame timings, stuff like that. And of course, lots of variables for enemy behavior. Anything more than changing these values won't be covered as it involves new ASM code...

Now, a new screenshot of the Tile Editor window...

I'm not sure if everything can be logically crammed into this window and remain editable in a logical way, but at least the tile selection on the left is working. Each major section of the game can have up to 4 different sets of up to 64 tiles. To each set corresponds a different palette code. Is this example, we see the set for West Hyrule. The palette codes 0 and 1 have the same pointer value, so they have the same tiles, but in different colors. Palette codes 2 and 3 have their own tables...

In side scrolling areas, objects that have "dimensions" (code > 0x0F) are made of two tiles, that you can see on the left. The most common arrangements are at the bottom of the window. Some objects are made of a single tile code and extend down (Vertical Single). Some of them, like the Column object we see selected in the screenshot, are made of Tile 0 at the top, then Tile 1 that extends down (Vertical Two). Some other objects extend right, like a bridge or a rocky ledge...

Objects with Code < 0x10 are special objects with their own construction logic, so you don't see them there, but they still use the tiles that you see at the top of the window, like any object. Some of them are made of a single tile (Tombstone, Cross), or two tiles horizontally (sleeping Zelda), or something completely arbitrary, like the Dolmen Tables you can see in the clearing south of the first Palace...

As you can see, there is a lot of flexibility with the system already in place. Obviously, being able to place any tile anywhere would be cool, but it has the downside of taking a lot of space. So the objects system is quite efficient on that matter, but there is a lot of potential for expansion. You basically have access to 256 different tile units arrangements (16x16 pixels), 64 for each palette. The original game doesn't even gets close to using all the possible tile codes. Of course, you still have the limitation of the 8x8 tiles graphics banks. Each area can use one of the 8 different palette sets. The 9th one in the Tile Editor window is for indoor areas when you don't have the Candle item...

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2016, 12:17:43 pm »
Just realized I have a Zelda hack that I haven't worked on for ages, and none of the editors that are currently available work on my new machine.  The hacking community needs a new editor for sure.

As for my hack, what I did was I expanded the collectable items.  I mean each of the 3 stats a collectable instead of exp based, all 8 spells, the two sword skills, and changed the reflect status to be item based(so making the Mirror Shield a findable object is now possible).  To make way for the new item graphics, I had to can the exp system and moved things around.  Also it means that heart and magic contains can be found in palaces without competing for other sprite space.  The other thing I wanted to do was add boss keys that would open up passageways when collected(it would work simply by checking room flags and activating code upon screen entry), and I also was thinking of making the cross item also allow you to see invisible pits.

Unfortunatly since the only side view editor that seemed to have worked was Dwedit's editor, was DOS based, I can't run it on my Windows 10 machine.

knighTeen87

• No More Room In Hell
    • View Profile
    • My personal site with Rom Hacks&Translations,Neo Geo Soundtracks,PSX Isos,CT 2007 Hack and more...t
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 04:38:52 pm »
I will surely make a Turkish translation patch when this is completed  :thumbsup: :beer:

MrFaust

• Noob Hacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 07:22:08 am »
I know it's been a little while since the last update but I'd personally love this project. I think a sprite/graphics editor would be the topping on the cake for this bad boy.
I feel asleep

D MAS

• Apathetic Loser
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »
Ooh I like what I see. The sword utility idea to make it more like MMZ sounds bad*ss.

Me want.