News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?  (Read 8498 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: What do I do if the Nintendo ship sinks?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2016, 12:25:11 am »
They have done a terrible job on it.  I did end up buying it
Heh.
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

Panzer88

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2016, 04:19:32 pm »
I know how long they've been around, but the thing is that I like Nintendo the first-party video game company, not Nintendo the hanafuda card company, nor Nintendo the toy company, nor a Nintendo that is a third-party video game developer.

you do realized that Nintendo is worth more money than all of Sony, right? that's including all of Sony's businesses combined.

Nintendo will be making console video games long after you are dead. The question you should ask yourself is not "will nintendo keep making games while I'm here" but rather "am I going to keep buying Nintendo's games no matter how crappy they could potentially get"

only buy good games, you'll be very happy with this policy. Don't by crap, doesn't matter who makes it, if it's crap.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 04:24:53 pm by Panzer88 »
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

Psychlonic

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2016, 06:46:58 pm »
I've left the console wars completely, I use my PC to play new releases if I care to play any (getting rare today). Steam is picking up, well, steam so more companies are realizing they're leaving money on the table when they don't port their games over. My only gripe here is that the collector in me doesn't like the digital-only aspect of this. I'll happily pay money for physical copies if anyone should be awesome enough to make them - I caught some crap from my friends for buying Terraria as an example and also Retro City Rampage for my old beige Compaq computer.

I had gotten good deals on a damaged 360 and PS3 for collector's purposes and the few exclusives I cared for, so repairing those was worthwhile and didn't set me back much. Wiis are a dime a dozen. But this generation? Nope. And half of the decent games from last gen have received HD remasters for current gen plus Steam so it almost craps on the whole idea of me getting the last gen systems.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I loved both Sega and Nintendo back in the 8 and 16bit eras, so it's sad to see Nintendo kind of reduced to being almost an "off-brand" (even if they're doing well financially) gaming company. I think they're still shipworthy for awhile though, the whole market seems like a shitshow to me but what do I know? Sony and MS are busy recreating the Sega 32x with their consoles but with the intelligence of today's market there's enough stupid people to gobble it up and ask them "Please sir, can I have some more?"
Just another old and grumpy gamer. Don't mind me.

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2016, 06:59:28 pm »
you do realized that Nintendo is worth more money than all of Sony, right? that's including all of Sony's businesses combined.
Not true, according to these sources.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2016/160427e.pdf

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q4_sony.pdf

Nintendo seems to be worth roughly 1/2 of what Sony is, and that is only counting equity. This is not surprising, seeing as Sony has their foot in damn near every industry while Nintendo is strictly gaming.

only buy good games, you'll be very happy with this policy. Don't by crap, doesn't matter who makes it, if it's crap.

Yeah, despite this being what everyone would think, not many people actually follow it. Hell, how many units did that assassin's creed game sell?

Panzer88

• GENO means ♥♪!?
    • View Profile
Donate now until 24 April, from the makers of shotwell Geary: a new open-source email client

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2016, 02:03:08 am »
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-now-worth-more-than-sony-following-pokemo/1100-6441985/
That's just market value. It could mean 1 of 2 things. Could mean that a larger piece of Nintendo is public when compared to Sony (I believe this is true, but not by much). could also mean that people think that Nintendo is making much more money from the game then they actually are. Nintendo does not own the entire game of pokemon go. They are a joint investor in the Pokemon company, but the revenue from the game also has to go to Niantic, who google owns for the most part. I believe at the end of this month we should know the splits and how much Nintendo is making. I expect to see a drop in the stock price soon though. It just seems so overvalued. Or maybe I am underestimating Pokemon go.

Main moral of the story is: Do not base net worth of a company by market value. That's a bad strategy. You will get nothing but a honey farm in your portfolio.

I can see where the confusion came from though, Gamespot is the king of misleading article titles.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 25, 2016, 01:08:15 pm »
And most of those investors have already sold their shares while they were still worthy. Its value plummeted like 16%
_-|-_

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 25, 2016, 01:52:52 pm »
And most of those investors have already sold their shares while they were still worthy. Its value plummeted like 16%

I wonder how many of them bought into it during the wii bump or after the slump and got out now the value met or exceeded what they bought in for.
Older yearly chart but http://static.cdn-seekingalpha.com/uploads/2011/6/21/130-130870490447427-Steven-Towns_origin.png
Symbol in US markets is NTDOY if you have a means to make your own chart (google has some but nothing I seem to be able to easily link and my old standby of http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Nintendo_%28NTDOY%29 wants flash).

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2016, 06:28:54 pm »
They are releasing their reports on the 27th, I am slightly expecting it to slingshot down.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2016, 02:52:47 am »
The Nintendo Ship might as well sink after that fiasco couple days ago.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2016, 10:51:12 pm »
Which fiasco are we talking about now?
This depresses me. I feel like a goldfish right now...

SCD

• SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:25 am »
Which fiasco are we talking about now?

The incidents where Nintendo sent DMCA notices to both Doctor M64 to shut down his awesome AM2R fan game and the Internet Archive to shut down their Nintendo Power magazine library.

Both projects were not harming them at all, they just want to bully their fan base like they been doing in recent years.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 02:29:41 am by SCD »

jink640

• From nuggets to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2016, 02:57:23 am »
Its almost like Sega is doing all the right things in regards to fans while Nintendo just wont stop fucking up.

Dont say that terrible phrase.... please.

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2016, 03:04:51 am »
Its almost like Sega is doing all the right things in regards to fans while Nintendo just wont stop fucking up.

SEGA do what Nintendo not does doing. :)
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2016, 03:23:02 am »
Both projects were not harming them at all, they just want to bully their fan base like they been doing in recent years.

Internet archive is up for debate but if you are going to call your game metroid and use the sprites then you worry trademark law and risk having it pointed at and people say you don't care about the trademark and thus you lose it. To that end there was a harm.

resq

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2016, 08:58:16 am »
Nintendoes do stuff don't they. :angel:
Come with me if you want to live.

I.S.T.

• Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2016, 06:11:21 pm »
Internet archive is up for debate but if you are going to call your game metroid and use the sprites then you worry trademark law and risk having it pointed at and people say you don't care about the trademark and thus you lose it. To that end there was a harm.

Yup. Nintendo was 100% legally in the right on the Metroid 2 Remake yank. Doesn't make it morally right, but legally, they have no choice.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2016, 09:48:54 pm »
Someone send out the SEGA submarine, and sink the Ninty ship.